“Did not disappoint!!”

Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
North Yorks
“Did not disappoint!!”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Visited the Foxhunter for Sunday lunch,2 course £22.95 3 course £28.95.For starter I chose the braised oxtail with scallops which was very nicely presented(as were all dishes)but more importantly was delicious.Other members of our party chose the crab starter which was also very nice.Fresh bread was also brought to the table prior to the starter and was also very good.
For main meal I chose the Hake and Plaice bourride which,whilst a little unusual for a Sunday lunch,was very genorously portioned(I hate meagre portions that some of the better dining establishments offer)and tasted excellent.The lamb was also very tasty and came with roast potatos and a selection of fresh vegetables and a lovely gravy.
Two of us shared a strawberry trifle,it tasted very fresh with a delicious custard and cream topping,my only gripe was that there was too much liquid in the bottom of the wine glass in which it was served.
The beer was good,the wine list was extensive(It was also a little on the pricey side but not OTT)and I also enjoyed a very good glass of vintage muscat dessert wine.Coffee was also on the agenda.
The staff were friendly and attentive,the place was well decorated and furnished and the overall impression was very good.

I was also impressed that Matt Tebbutt was actually there cooking,so many top chefs associate themselves with an establishment but they will rarely,if ever,grace the kitchen with their presence let alone cooking skills

We would definitely recommend

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank NorthernNomad23

Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
“Always a pleasure”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

2 AMAZING lunches at The Foxhunter again, a really special place to dine. I stayed overnight in the Old Cottage just around the corner.

1st lunch: my first course was a wonderful chilled asparagus soup with parmesan cream - a fresh, light start to the meal. Then my main was Old Spot pork loin with a pea & mixed bean salad - tender & full of flavour. The dessert I chose was peanut butter parfait (a dish from his book "cooks country) - absolutely delicious! I ended the meal with a glass of Matt's home-made Vin D'Orange - VERY good & VERY alcoholic (a good reason to stay in either The Cottage or the Old Stable).

For my evening meal I had a selection of cold meats & salads in the Old Stable (you can get some dishes from the restaurant to "take away").

2nd lunch: Began with ham hock, white beans & salsa verde - tender & full of flavour. Then I chose chicken with tarragon, greens, asparagus & hollandaise - a brilliant combination of spring flavours with a touch of rich sauce. There was no question what I would choose as a sweet - coffee, mascarpone & amaretto pudding - rich & boozy, a twist on tiramisu. I finished with another glass of the Vin D'Orange (it would have been rude not to hehe).

Lisa & Jo make you feel at home as soon as you step in the door of this gem of a place. Chef John does brilliant work in the kitchen assisting Matt or taking control if Matt isnt there.

To put it in a nutshell......... if you want to eat wonderful food & have a relaxing time, get to The Foxhunter!

1 Thank RobinC35
London, United Kingdom
“Good lunch but not cheap”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Attractive and very well kept place near Abergavenny. Very friendly service. Food was very good but to my mind too expensive for what it was. Lunch for two with a bottle of wine was over £100.00. Predictably given the chef the fare was good quality, but Rocket soup was £7.00, a bit pricey for what was essentially a pub lunch, albeit an upmarket one. Chicken for mains was nice but there was not much of it, though the desserts were excellent. A nice place indeed, and good for a special occasion, but not every Saturday!

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank serdeau
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Lovely restaurant in splendid surroundings”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

My partner and I dined at the Foxhunter last night, the meal was excellent as was the service. The menu has limited choice which I like, all the food is freshly cooked on ordering.
The desserts are to die for as is the home made bread.
I would highly recommend this restaurant for all occasions, and will certainly be returning.

1 Thank Tomthegirl
Wales, U.K.
“Excellent food lovely service”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Having heard varying rumours about the foxhunter being for sale & mixed reviews, we were not sure what to expect or even if Matt Tebbutt was still there. Well he is, we had a fantastic evening, the menu was interesting & varied,the food was absolutely delicious & the service good. Whilst the wine list was extensive & reasonably priced, we could not decide what to have, the lady in charge recommended a red wine which was perfect. We thought the price was realistic & worth every penny, we will return.