“Loved the place!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Abergavenny
The Guest House
Ranked #4 of 31 Abergavenny B&B and Inns
england
“Loved the place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2008

What with all the bad news on the economy recently, we went into our trip to Wales with a gloomy attitude, but having spent 4 days at this lovely guest house, I can honestly say we forgot all about our woes.

The rooms and decor were faultless, the back garden was big yet cosy at the same time (no doubt helped by the presence of all the owners' pets who live in it). There was a great breakfast choice - the best I've ever seen outside of a hotel. The service was wonderful and the hostess extremely considerate, not to mention entertaining.

My husband and I would recommend this place to anybody. Apart from the above the house is close to town and next to a lovely park. Abergavenny is a beautiful place and one we shall certainly go and visit again (and we will definitely be trying to stay at this guest house).

• Liked — The whole ambience was great
  • Disliked — The parrot swearing at me!!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2008

I always enjoy the treat of a full English (or Welsh) breakfast and was looking forward to it here after the other tripadvisor reviews. Clearly the other reviews were by people who get up for an early breakfast when I am sure the food is freshly cooked and delicious - because (apart from the very nice eggs) all the food is cooked at 7. So when I got up for the end of breakfast sitting (9.30) the food was tepid and stale from sitting there for two and a half hours. I was thoroughly surprised and disappointed by this - for a small B&B I just assumed my food would be cooked fresh.

• Liked — The parrot!
  • Disliked — tepid breakfast cooked two hours earlier
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Kettering
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

My parner and I had a two night stay at The Guest House.
On arrival Kevin gave us a warm welcome, showed us around and made us feel very at home.
Our ensuite room was nicely decorated and we had a lovely view overlooking the many pets in the back garden.
The bed was very comfortable, which is just what you need after a full days horse riding!
Jenny was great fun and made a wicked breakfast.
We would definately like to stay there again if we were in the area.

A big thank you to Kevin and Jenny.

Yvonne and Steve.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Sunderland England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2008

We have just returned from a few days staying in this guest house and it was wonderful. There is a lovely atmosphere in the house and everyone is very welcoming even the parrot. The breakfasts are incredible and cooked to perfection. The room was a little on the small side but it was spotlessly clean and had plenty of cupboard space. I would certainly recommend this guest house to anyone that enjoys good friendly hospitality.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Teddington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2008

My friend and I fancied a couple of days walking in the Brecons and just happened upon The Guest House from the local Tourist Information site.

The Guest House is a love little spot with a wonderfully friendly atmosphere - The room was cosy and comfortable and the full English (or Welsh if you prefer) breakfasts were of the very best with a huge range of options for your plate and perfectly fried eggs (if thats how you want them cooked).

All in all a great place to stop and a good base for exploring the glorious mountains of the Beacons.

• Liked — The witty banter over breakfast - and the breakfast itself
  • Disliked — nothing to dislike
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
The Hague
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2008

We stayed at Jenny's guesthouse for a whole week to hike and cycle in the Brecon Beacons countryside and loved every minute of our stay. Jenny and Kevin, the breakfast and the room were all great and so is Sam, the parrot, who made us laugh at breakfast everyday. These parrots do pick up the strangest words! Jenny and Kevin: thanks for the fantastic welcome in Abergavenny!
Wim&Ineke, The Netherlands

• Liked — Jenny and Kevin
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2008

I would recommend Jenny's guest house to anyone. Jenny and Kevin were exceptionally kind and welcoming to me and I really enjoyed my stay. The garden is really pretty and the room was very pretty as well. I am going back the minute I ever need to get away from it all!

I have stayed a few times now on my own and each time had a fantastic time. Slept for about 11 hours every night! The Welsh air and the gentle clucking of chickens seem to be a great relaxant. In each room they had provided tea, coffee, biscuits and cup a soups and a little wine opener. There was a great variety of breakfasts (smoked salmon and scrambled egg, full Welsh breakfast, fish, pancakes etc etc) and after the lovely breakfast, I was very tempted to request one of the evening meals they provide upon request! They are excellent value at around six pounds each inc tea and coffee. The eggs are very fresh and come from their own chickens. It was lovely and clean there and Jenny is a real character. There are loads of animals out the back (from pigs and a parrot to rabbits and ducks), although these are never in your face. So don't let that put you off if you don't like animals! The parrot is great fun, frequently impersonating the dog and the phone!

The town is close and has nice hotels and places to eat. I would recommend the Angel for a nice meal. Everything is in walking distance.

• Liked — Everyone was so friendly.
  • Disliked — Not all the rooms have ensuite facilities - you need to ask.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abergavenny
The Angel
Kings Arms
Kings Arms
#3 of 31 in Abergavenny
Llanwenarth Hotel & Riverside Restaurant

Been to The Guest House? Share your experiences!