“Superb lunch, relaxed atmosphere, well kept & highly enjoyable”

Kings Arms Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #10 of 105 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We came for a friends birthday lunch. The food was outstanding! Each of us were highly complimentary of every course.

The owner was polite, warm and helpful and you could see pride oozing from her as she got stuck in and served along with the efficient staff.

There is a negative - that I couldn't eat more than 3 courses - as I clocked other peoples food coming out of the kitchen I have made a mental note of returning and trying much more on the menu.

It is so refreshing to have such a well kept establishment where you can also feel relaxed. I noticed families with children and there was also a large party being served at the same time, yet we were waited on attentively and there was a real buzz in the room. I will have no qualms about returning for a family lunch.

2  Thank MissCB123

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed lunch here today!

Starting, the Welsh Rarebit was delicious and not too heavy. The Ploughmans with 3 cheeses was very nice and even came with a shot of Cider.

For mains, I went for the Beef Brisket, which was gorgeous and came with perfectly creamy mash, perfectly roasted whole carrots and a Bourguignon sauce. He went for the Fillet Steak Burger, which was very tender, cooked perfectly and served with absolutely outstanding homemade chips, they were so delicious I couldn't resist stealing a few....

A few minor niggles, hence the given 4 instead of 5 stars... My Ploughmans starter was missing the pork, which I didn't really mind but I felt only 1 piece of bread was very stingy! The burger was missing the cheese but was promptly brought when asked. He was also a bit disappointed that the burger came on a piece of bread rather than in a bun...

However, everything was so very tasty and the bill came to just £37 with a pint of Coke and two pints of lager! Unbelievably good value for money. We will be back!

1  Thank AmyLJ
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Having read in our Lonely Planet guide that the Kings Arms was a culinary highlight in the area, we were a bit concerned as to whether it would be suitable for us to young sons (age 6yrs and 3yrs) but we needn't have worried. Despite its 'gastro' reputation and feel, the Kings Arms couldn't be more welcoming and relaxing. We sat in the 'snug' which has just two tables (the other was empty anyway) and enjoyed a delicious 3-course set meal.

Our eldest son wasn't feeling too well and towards the end of the meal I noticed he had a rash on his tummy. We went to ask a member of staff where there nearest chemist was - it was nearly 8pm and they thought it may be about to close so they personally rang the chemist on our behalf and asked them to hang on for us! Service well over and above the call of duty for which we were very grateful.

Despite having high expectations beforehand I can honestly say that they were met in every respect. Next time we are in the area we will certainly return!

2  Thank emmajane76
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Sunday lunch for 7, interesting menu with plenty of choice including lots of veg to accompany. Good service despite also having a big party celebrating a 40th birthday to attend to. Value about right

2  Thank Toosoups
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I visited with a group of friends, we eat out regularly in the area, and all felt that this was the best meal both for quality and price that we has ever had. The service is just right, and the set menu offered great value at £12 for 2 courses, or £15 for 3 courses. The starter was so yummy that those that chose it wanted to lick the plate! We are returning for our next meal in April...

2  Thank hazel D