“Why have I not been here before…!”

The Village Fish Bar
Ranked #33 of 100 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Cuisines: Fast Food, British, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Cash Only, Takeout
Description: Please visit the shops' web page for up to date information (opening times etc) . Please allow time for cooking, per-book your order by phone.
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Why have I not been here before…!”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

For over 6 years we have been visiting Gilwern and can't believe have never tried the fish shop. All i can say was WOW! The best Fish & chips my whole family, including fussy eater, have tasted. The wait may have been longer than used to but well worth it. Have their number now so can book it. Thanks for a great end to a stressful day.

5 Thank Jeremy W

abergavenny
“Fully booked!”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Disappointed to be told when calling for fish and chips one evening that they were fully booked and I could not be served for 50 minutes! This was because they had lots of telephone orders and cook to order, but I do not understand why when you are preparing an order why an extra fish and some chips could not be cooked at the same time as another order.
I cannot comment on the food as I obviously didn't want to wait that long, I'm sure it is great as stated in other reviews, but come on guys a 50 minute wait or turning customers away from a chip shop..... mindboggling.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank julie m
Alan S, Owner at The Village Fish Bar, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear Julie M,

May I apologise that we were unable to serve you at the time of your request due to the volume of pre booked orders at that particular hour. I would like to take 2 minutes of your time to explain the situation. As you will have noticed we are the smallest fish and chip shop you have probably come across. Therefore our equipment capacity is limited to the amount of food that we can cook at one time, in order to offer our customers the best quality they can get. We pride ourselves on providing a good quality of 'freshly' cooked food.

To add another raw/uncooked fish to already half cooked food in the fryer is not a very good practice or idea. The food in the fryer needs to be cooked properly and correctly, then removed and the pan to be cleaned before adding the next lot of food.

For you to give us 3 out of 5 without being aware of our capacity to accommodate additional orders or our way of cooking to provide the best quality, we find it unfair. We pride ourselves in the quality and not quantity; we never claim to be a fast food, pre-cooked meal provider. Thank you for your time in commenting and we hope to see you in the future.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Best Fish and Chips... EVER”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

After a short walk in Breconshire, I bought fish and chips from The Village Fish Bar in Gilwern. I was amazed at how lovely the fish and chips were and I am proud to say that I will go here again!

5 Thank Matthew_T_Howells
“First Class Fish & Chips & First Class Craic”
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

Prior to our recent Mongolian Yurt adventure near Abergavenny we researched our visit on Trip Advisor and were somewhat surprised to see a fish and chip shop as the No.1 in the restaurant choice list.
On the Friday tea time after our 1 1/2 hour journey from England we took a very short detour to Gilwern some 5 minutes from Abergavenny to sample the delights of The Village Fish Bar.
Our faith in TA was not wasted as we received an incredibly warm welcome from the co-owners Fas and his brother. As the fish and chips are cooked from fresh there was a short delay which was made bearable with the hugely amusing banter and craic from the hosts. I was even treated to my own bag of fish scraps to accompany my fish and chip feast. The cod was pure white with superb texture and quality with crisp tasty batter and fat free chips.
The owners recommended a beautiful location to enjoy our tea time feast ....the local canal tow path .......adjacent to a welcoming local hostelry.....The feast was washed down with a rather pleasant pint of the local ale. After visiting numerous highly rated fish and chip restaurants/shops across the length and breadth of the UK.
I must confirm that The Village Fish Bar in my considered opinion is the best fish and chip shop in the UK without fear of contradiction and I would recommend it to any holiday makers as ALL the locals know how good it is judging by the queue outside.

6 Thank YummyJeff
“Excellent food!”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

If you're looking for the best fish and chip shop in Britain I recommend you visit. The food is superb!

6 Thank StevenfromNewbridge