“One of the best afternoon teas in the country”

Afternoon Tea at the Angel
Ranked #1 of 104 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Angel Hotel is a member of the prestigious UK Tea Guild having previously held an ‘Award of Excellence’ since 2008. Only nine hotels outside of London have achieved this. In 2011 The Angel Hotel were proud recipients of The Tea Guild’s top national award, the Oscar of the tea world. Each morning our specialist baker, Sally Lane freshly prepares the sandwiches, savouries, cakes and scones ready for the afternoon. The following are our service times for Afternoon Tea & High Tea: Monday - Friday; Afternoon Tea and High Tea are served in our Wedgewood room from 2.00pm - 4.00pm. Saturday & Sunday; High Tea only; served in our Wedgewood room from 2.00pm - 5.30pm.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I always take any visitors here and we always choose the gut busting High Tea. Yes, its not cheap but its very good value for money. A similar tea in London would be triple the price. Neat tasty sandwiches, followed by warm savoury pastries and canapes, then warm scones (remember to ask for clotted cream otherwise you get whipped double) and finally a wonderous selection of mini cakes all washed down with interesting and beautifully served teas. If you really want to blow the budget a glass of champagne is on offer. I cannot agree with previous comment about not being enough. I've never once finished and never seen anyone else do the same. So a beautifully tied beribboned box is given to you to take your uneaten delights away. Its a destination not to be missed.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I was very disappointed to be charged so much Money for afternoon tea. It was a very small amount of food for two people and the only thing we were offered more of was "water"
The food was nice and service too, but the amount of food was only good enough for one and for £18 each, we should have had double the food!!!
I will not be going back to the angel.

Charlotte G, Manager at Afternoon Tea at the Angel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent post.

Our pricing for full afternoon tea is £18.80 per person. Between 2 guests, we serve 8 sandwiches, a selection of 9 different cakes, 2 pots of strawberries with cream, and 2 scones with strawberry jam and choice of whipped cream, clotted cream or butter.

All of our afternoon tea items are made fresh each morning in preparation for afternoon tea service in the afternoon.

I am surprised yet sorry you did not feel our portions sizes met your requirements.

I hope your experience has not marred your impression of The Angel and that we can welcome you back again in the near future.

Your sincerely,

Charlotte Griffiths
Hotel Manager

Reviewed July 12, 2013

My son and I had High Tea at the Angel and it was excellent. You have a selection of savouries, sandwiches, cakes & a scone (the best I have ever tasted) with jam and cream. There are also a large selection of teas or if you prefer there is coffee. It was all beautifully presented and reasonably priced, for a treat. If you cannot eat it all, they will package it up in a box for you to take away.Highly recommended.

1  Thank Wymark60
Reviewed June 30, 2013

my wife and I visited the Angel for afternoon tea and had a thoroughly good experience. Be warned, go in feeling hungry because the selection of pastries and cakes really do take some eating. Delicious, home made and beautifully presented. Very helpful and friendly service. I must recommend this stylish hotel.

1  Thank Daijones4
Reviewed June 25, 2013

If you like cake...then this is the place to come and eat it! Excellent value, almost as good as tea at The Ritz, but a damn sight cheaper!!

1  Thank cazyncymru