“Moules in Green Curry Sauce”
Review of The Oak Room

The Oak Room
Ranked #16 of 105 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 12, 2014

I had this delicious starter which was generous in the extreme. My husband had the Welsh lamb which was also excellent.

1  Thank lesley d
Charlotte G, Manager at The Oak Room, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed the mussels in green curry sauce along with the lamb.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed August 9, 2014

Close friends of ours gifted my wife and I a dinner "voucher" last year so we thought we would try it last sunday evening. We were greeted by a lovely polite helpful young lady who showed us to our table and made us comfortable so we were able to order our food and drinks. The "voucher" enables you to choose from a set 3 course meal part of the menu. After studying it for a while there were some other choices elsewhere on the menu which we preferred to try, the young lady serving us sorted this out for us which we were very appreciative to her for doing so. Little nibbles before our starter, bottle of house wine, tea/coffee and little brownies after our sweet, such great value and a lovely meal all round.
We enjoyed the warm yet fresh feel to the decor, also the other staff members who served us during our meal were all helpful and so polite.
Thank you very much...

2  Thank Martin F
Charlotte G, Manager at The Oak Room, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely evening review.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed your Sunday evening in The Oak Room, accompanied with helpful staff and a warm fresh feel to the decor.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

We were married here ten years ago and so went back to celebrate our anniversary with a couple of close friends. On our way in we bumped into one of the staff who had been so helpful on our wedding day. After we were seated in the courtyard complimentary glasses of champagne were brought by a member of the waiting staff, what a thoughtful gesture, and much appreciated. We ordered from from their £25.00, 3 course, set menu, what great value and an excellent meal. My wife and I had the Angel salmon gravlax with mustard and dill sauce, it was delicious. To follow my wife had the seared Wagyu beefsteak, chimmichurri and I had Whole grilled lemon sole with cockle and caper butter, both meals were delicious. To finish we had Café Gourmand coffee plus three small desserts. Wow!
Throughout the staff were helpful, friendly and attentive without being intrusive. A thouroughly enjoyable evening and tremendous value. Highly recommended

1  Thank Don B
Charlotte G, Manager at The Oak Room, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable feedback.

I am so pleased to read you had a thoroughly enjoyable evening with an excellent meal.

It was a pleasure to welcome you back again and we hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Ate at the Angel on spec after a rubbish meal elsewhere the night before and was really really pleased we did. Restaurant is nice, staff are extremely attentive and the food was just superb. If you have a chance, go for the crayfish risotto - simply the tastiest risotto I have ever eaten. We paid less than at the restaurant the night before but dined in another dimension altogether,

1  Thank Bromboy2014
Charlotte G, Manager at The Oak Room, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased that your recent visit to The Oak Room at The Angel proved to be “wonderful food”.

We certainly strive to provide quality food and service throughout all areas of the hotel and I am happy to read that you found this to be true.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Angel in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Disappointed with the food, The `rack of lamb', for nearly £19, was in reality, three very small, overcooked lamb chops perched tripod-style over a skinny bed of what appeared to be half a sliced courgette, two (at most) sliced new potatoes, and a mushy piece of red pepper. The burger at more than £12, was average and pricey.

Charlotte G, Manager at The Oak Room, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

I was extremely concerned to read your comments following your recent meal at The Angel. I was very surprised to hear of your experience and I would like to assure you that it is not representative of the hotel. I would be most grateful if I could speak with you in person to discuss these matters with you. Please do contact me directly here at the hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely