“Almost there!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Oak Room

The Oak Room
Ranked #13 of 99 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Cuisines: British, Welsh
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Almost there!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2014

Whilst on holiday I decided to book dinner in the Oak Room for me and my wife. The overall experience was excellent, the staff were incredibly friendly and the lady behind the bar made a mean Cosmopolitan!! We chose from the A La Carte menu. Starters were good, crab and scallops, although 3 small scallops for £12.80 may be a bit steep? Mains, my Ribeye was quite thin and only average, the mussels were big and meaty but the sauce was underwhelming (Cider Mill Inn do a great Thai soup which would have been a much better base for the mussels!) deserts were good, baked Alaska and a hazelnut torte, all washed down with an excellent local sparkling wine - Ancre Hill, far better than the French stuff!! We ended with drinks in the lounge and bar and enjoyed a superb dining experience all round. The quality of the decor and furnishings really makes it a stand out venue in the area. We will definitely return and maybe try the 3 courses for £25 next time which seems excellent value!!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Jerry2007
Charlotte G, Manager at The Oak Room, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed your Cosmopolitan, starters and desserts.

I am sorry you were disappointed with the thickness of the Ribeye and sauce with the mussels.

We look forward to welcoming you back to try the £25 menu.

Kind regards,

Charlotte Griffiths
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Greiz, Germany
“Good in every way”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

Stayed one whole day in the Bar area to do some work on my Computer. The Staff was very helpfull and always been keen to provide me with Food and Drinks.

Had a light Lunch - Avocado Salad, as im not a fan of Avocado i ask them to do it without and they made it without questions and the Portion Size was amazing.

For Dinner i choosed a starter and a Main, and the Steak i had was the best i eat for a Long time. Skirt Steak with nice garnish. Sooooooooooooo tender.
No Dessert, but will be back and hope to go for more Options.

Highly rcomend this Hotel.
Beside they have Free WIFI for guest, Not just residents, nice touch.

Swansea, United Kingdom
“Lovely lunch but..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

The Angel has spread its wings in recent years and now the moment you enter you are aware that it is a fine building. The atmosphere was calm without being over-formal and the staff were friendly and helpful.
Some ale for me as we chatted to our friends before off to the dining room where we were all conscious of a smell of cooked fish that was a little "tired". I cooked fish for a living for many years so was puzzled as The Angel is a large building with a kitchen extraction system that should prevent such rogue smells entering the dining area.
We all chose from the set lunch menu at £25 a head for three courses. We all like fish but on this occasion we chose from the two meat dishes. The shin of beef was delicious and the supreme of free-range chicken with mushroom sauce was, by all accounts, lovely and surprisingly my wife cleaned her plate so I didn't get a look-in.
Of the starters the soup was very good but the belly pork, although stylishly presented, was light on meat but heavy on fat even for belly pork. A small skewer with two tiny cubes of pork but the bedding was nice.
We were too full for our third course and I wondered why they don't offer two courses at lunch after all most of us probably only eat that amount.
A bottle of cotes du Rhone was chosen from the short and slightly pricey list.
The coffee was of a high quality and did I mention the friendly and attentive staff?

Merthyr Tydfil
“30th Birthday Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

We booked a table in the Oak room for my son's 30th birthday .
The whole lunch was absolutely perfect.
The starters were the hand picked Cornish crab with lemon mayo and crab toasts and sautéed mushrooms with shallot and Creme fraîche which were beautifully presented.
Our mains consisted of Schnitzel of pork, Vietnamese pulled pork in a rustic roll with oriental slaw,a piggy burger,the slaw and aïoli and lastly but not least the goujons of cod and Thai Mayo.
This room has recently been renovated and it's a wonderful place for lunch or an evening meal.
The staff were on hand for drinks and our meal was served in a very professional way.
We were also thrilled when we were allowed to serve our cake to our son and the staff sang happy birthday to him ,the look on his face was priceless.
Thank you all so much for a wonderful day and celebration.

Wales UK
“Lunch on this occasion was disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

Was looking for somewhere nice for lunch - this turned out to be a challenge given my companion was a vegetarian!!! Abergavenny is dire for a good vegetarian lunch. Even on the menu there was evidence of vegetarian fare as part of the set meal but, not on the general menu IE Butternut squash soup. It is really disappointing that you cannot find a decent meal given the number of restaurants in Abergavenny. I had the goujons, which whilst they were above average in terms of size, the fish was very dry. The fries we were served were slightly overcooked and what appeared to be a frozen chip rather than hand crafted!

Service was faultless as ever, staff are so good there and, reassuring to see relatively young people providing such good service - but they were non UK staff and there is a message there for the young people in Wales & UK in terms of what needs be done to secure a career!

Today I guess was a little unfortunate and I will go back, you cannot get the reviews The Angel does without the odd hiccough!