“Lovely lunch but..”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Lovely lunch but..”
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

The Angel has spread its wings in recent years and now the moment you enter you are aware that it is a fine building. The atmosphere was calm without being over-formal and the staff were friendly and helpful.
Some ale for me as we chatted to our friends before off to the dining room where we were all conscious of a smell of cooked fish that was a little "tired". I cooked fish for a living for many years so was puzzled as The Angel is a large building with a kitchen extraction system that should prevent such rogue smells entering the dining area.
We all chose from the set lunch menu at £25 a head for three courses. We all like fish but on this occasion we chose from the two meat dishes. The shin of beef was delicious and the supreme of free-range chicken with mushroom sauce was, by all accounts, lovely and surprisingly my wife cleaned her plate so I didn't get a look-in.
Of the starters the soup was very good but the belly pork, although stylishly presented, was light on meat but heavy on fat even for belly pork. A small skewer with two tiny cubes of pork but the bedding was nice.
We were too full for our third course and I wondered why they don't offer two courses at lunch after all most of us probably only eat that amount.
A bottle of cotes du Rhone was chosen from the short and slightly pricey list.
The coffee was of a high quality and did I mention the friendly and attentive staff?

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Merthyr Tydfil
“30th Birthday Meal”
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

We booked a table in the Oak room for my son's 30th birthday .
The whole lunch was absolutely perfect.
The starters were the hand picked Cornish crab with lemon mayo and crab toasts and sautéed mushrooms with shallot and Creme fraîche which were beautifully presented.
Our mains consisted of Schnitzel of pork, Vietnamese pulled pork in a rustic roll with oriental slaw,a piggy burger,the slaw and aïoli and lastly but not least the goujons of cod and Thai Mayo.
This room has recently been renovated and it's a wonderful place for lunch or an evening meal.
The staff were on hand for drinks and our meal was served in a very professional way.
We were also thrilled when we were allowed to serve our cake to our son and the staff sang happy birthday to him ,the look on his face was priceless.
Thank you all so much for a wonderful day and celebration.

Wales UK
“Lunch on this occasion was disappointing”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Was looking for somewhere nice for lunch - this turned out to be a challenge given my companion was a vegetarian!!! Abergavenny is dire for a good vegetarian lunch. Even on the menu there was evidence of vegetarian fare as part of the set meal but, not on the general menu IE Butternut squash soup. It is really disappointing that you cannot find a decent meal given the number of restaurants in Abergavenny. I had the goujons, which whilst they were above average in terms of size, the fish was very dry. The fries we were served were slightly overcooked and what appeared to be a frozen chip rather than hand crafted!

Service was faultless as ever, staff are so good there and, reassuring to see relatively young people providing such good service - but they were non UK staff and there is a message there for the young people in Wales & UK in terms of what needs be done to secure a career!

Today I guess was a little unfortunate and I will go back, you cannot get the reviews The Angel does without the odd hiccough!

Hereford, United Kingdom
“Great Sunday lunch!”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Booked Sunday lunch here on the busy Food Festival weekend. No regrets!
Great service - even though it became very busy.
Food was amazing - we had the special which was lobster - tasty and very good value for money.
Little touches such as bread and olive oil/balsamic vinegar and olives while we waited and the some small flapjacks with coffee made it special.
Will definitely come back.

1 Thank Huw E
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious food, great service & lovely decor.”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We chose to eat here based on recent positive Tripadvisor reviews and it didn't disappoint. The waitresses were very helpful/knowledgable regarding my food allergy, which put me at ease immediately. The food was excellent quality - we had smoked salmon and a salad to start followed by skirt steak and seafood linguine - all cooked perfectly and very tasty. Their smart new refurb is lovely. I highly recommend eating here and would definitely go back.

• Visited August 2013
Charlotte G, Manager at The Oak Room, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your recent dining experience at The Angel.

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments. The Oak Room is a lovely place to enjoy a lunch or evening out; I am glad that you found our food and service to your liking.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Angel Hotel in the future.

Kind Regards,