“Overpriced Lunch”

Cuisines: Welsh
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stopped for lunch today (Saturday) my wife ordered a salmon Fishcake which was served on just a salmon sauce no chips /side salad or in fact anything but one solitary fish cake £7.95,we have had bigger starters. I had the beef curry with rice & chips £8.95 left most of it.

2  Thank c_g_dawson

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We went to Plas Derwen for an evening meal. Good choice, good value, good setting. Staff very pleasant

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We've eaten here many times but have noticed a steady decline in the quality of service and food over the past 12 months. We went here just a couple of weeks ago for a birthday dinner. There were about 10 of us so a fairly large table but the rest of the restaurant was empty so they weren't rushed off their feet. The service was terrible. We had to wait a long time for orders, drinks etc. In the end I went up to the bar to get them. There was broken glass on the bar top! The waitress never cleared a single glass from our table all night. We all had about 3 or 4 drinks each so by the end there was about 20 empty bottles and 40 glasses on the table. The waitress would keep coming back to take drinks orders but not take away any empties. She even joked that there wasn't much room to put the plates down. The food was slow in coming. I won't go in to too much detail about all the meals but the general feeling was one of disappointment. Just very average and not up to the standard you would expect. My french onion cheese tart was appalling. It was more like a quiche. A big tasteless, dry mound of egg! Shocking. The desserts however were very good. Lack of attention, lack of atmosphere, lack of enthusiasm from the staff and a very poor menu with lack of imagination. Such a shame as it used to be one of our favourite places for lunch. Now, all you can say is - It's alright, AVERAGE.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We have wined and dined in this establishment many times. It is a Brains Brewery Managed Pub and the former Management couple have been transferred to a struggling pub in Chepstow. Pity.
Naturally the substance of the Pub has not changed but, disappointingly, the Guest Beer is too often a Brains Beer. Lazy? or is this a company policy?
The lunchtime menu had not changed significantly but was a shade safe. I ordered the Toulouse Sausages but was informed in due course that they were not available. Bad communication!!
I had a burger which was edible but would not repeat the order. My wife had a pasta dish which she enjoyed. The new management team need to up their game. Abergavenny is a town blessed with very good eating places and complacency will not do. Will try again but only once if this experience is repeated.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had a late lunch, so we had a choice of tables. We sat against a wall overlooking the gardens on a beautiful sunny day. We tried the potato soup with a fresh slice of bread, and some fresh steamed veggies. It was all heavenly. I normally do not prefer a soup puree, but the flavor of this one was good, especially with the fresh baked warm bread. We had some carrots, broccoli and cabbage on the side. They were fresh (not frozen). What a treat.

Lovely place. It will be on my "visit" list next time I am in town.