“Excellent stay - will return soon”
Review of The Hardwick

and 1 more site!
The Hardwick
Ranked #7 of 31 Abergavenny B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I am surprised by the mixed reviews, our experience was excellent. We have stayed before but not for a few years and I was concerned it may have gone down hill. The rooms were as cosy and well appointed as ever and we were very comfortable, we appreciated the touches such as fresh milk in the fridge and some delicious homemade biscotti.
We had dinner there and it was ample and delicious. The service was also excellent with warm and friendly staff, very efficient.
We asked if we could have breakfast a little earlier than the 8.30am start and they were happy to oblige, breakfast also delicious with fresh orange juice and lovely eggs. We actually couldn't fault any of it and left wondering why we had left it so long to return and determined we would come again soon.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank curlyBridgend

Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend and another couple went here on valentines day for a meal and where do we start starters were ok but for my main meal all i got was a chicken breast and mash potato! We ordered a bottle of wine which cost £22 the size and was lucky to get 4 glasses out of it then the deserts came all they were were 3 scoops of choice after receiving the bill and realised that for the 4 of us it came to £201 for a more than average meal i will be avoiding this place at all costs again. I heard it had a good reputation years ago but thats definitely not the case anymore!

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Jonnymorgan
Reviewed January 30, 2014

My fiancé and I visited the Hardwick on 25.1.14. I booked the table 3 weeks prior. On arrival, the restaurant was full, including the bar area, offering no where to sit!

Our table was booked at 8.30pm. We arrived for 8 o'clock, but didn't sit down until 9pm, when they finally took our order. The restaurant had been severally over booked, and felt completely rushed.

The mains came out at approx 9.35pm, under cooked. We had the signature Angus steak, £25 each, and both were horrendous cuts of meat. Full of gristle and not cooked as requested. My fiancés steak was then taken back and cooked again. It took 20 mins for them to return and by then my steak had become cold, and hers even tougher!

The staff seemed to be unsympathetic of the whole debacle, and tried offering a free round of drinks.

I would not recommend visiting, the restaurant have seemingly lost their determination to keep delivering excellent food, and happy to rely on previous reputation. They charged us £98.00! Horrendous value!!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Andyham123
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

This was our second visit to the Hardwick. Once again I can not fault the food. The restaurant was quiet but that benefited us, the highlight was the beef to share. Melt in the mouth beef, cannot ask for anything else. Service was good and will be visiting again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We visted the retaurant and stayed at the hotel to celebrate a birthday. Rooms were very comfortable and well equipped. The meal we had was excellent. Tasty well cooked local produce - delcious! Staff were friendly and relaxed. Ambience was also relaxed. Beautiful location and good for a walk the next morning to burn off the extra calories consumed! Would recommend a visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Had lunch there today and I had the roast beef which came out warm , the veg arrived a few minutes later which were also warm. The main thing is I cant believe they serve the same gravy for the beef and the pork, for a so called excellent restaurant I cant believe they would do this. Very poor standard and not worth the money

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jroe13
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We went for Sunday lunch with friends today, the service was faultless and the food superb. The atmosphere was cosy and relaxed, although it was busy so I would advise booking ahead even for lunchtime dining.
The drinks selection was also good with locally made penderyn whisky on offer as well as a variety of lovely wines.
The only problem I had was decking which pudding to have as they all sounded yummy.

Very much looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: December 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abergavenny
The Angel
Abergavenny Hotel
Abergavenny Hotel
#2 of 31 in Abergavenny
Llansabbath Country Farmhouse B&B

Been to The Hardwick? Share your experiences!