“Great Sunday lunch...”

Ranked #8 of 29 Abergavenny B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great Sunday lunch...”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We went for Sunday lunch with friends today, the service was faultless and the food superb. The atmosphere was cosy and relaxed, although it was busy so I would advise booking ahead even for lunchtime dining.
The drinks selection was also good with locally made penderyn whisky on offer as well as a variety of lovely wines.
The only problem I had was decking which pudding to have as they all sounded yummy.

Very much looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2013

my husband and me booked a table for an anniversary dinner treat, I must say we both really disappointed though. The starter of duck hash was just warm,i had the welsh cheese which i think would have been nicer with less salad and more cheese because you could hardly taste it and the dressing was really oily. My main of lamb was overcooked and the whole plate looked very GREY, the huge piece of aubergine to highly flavoured witth cinammon did'nt help and again it was'nt hot.My husband had chicken with quite a bitter sauce. Needless to say we did'nt bother with desert or coffee, then we given the wrong bill!! Add to thayt we stayed away for a night and had a taxi to and form there - it was a rather expensive let down of a weekend. What is going on there!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
uk
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

My wife and myself visited here recently for a special occasion, I must say it was fantastic. We live within 40 miles and hadn't been before but had heard good things. Great food, great service and a great setting. Can't understand any poor reviews on here, you can't please everyone I suppose!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed overnight at the Hardwick with a dinner , bed & breakfast deal. 3 course a la carte menu was all we could have hoped for , the ambiance was welcoming and friendly , the room was stylish , clean and comfortable , all in all a perfect 5th Wedding Anniversary , thanks to Stephen Terry and all the staff. Hope to see you all again.

Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

I pre booked a room here for my husbands birthday, we also booked a table for dinner.
Starter was just ok, no finesse what so ever in the service, the main arrived, we had the veal that I have had many times before, the tongue was greasy the loin was tough and the burger tasteless, I did not call a waitress over I was happy not to complain. However I was asked why we were not eating and I explained. The "restaurant"manager arrived and stated "the chef disagrees with you he says the food was perfect" "he is the manager and he says there is nothing wrong with the food" I was so shocked as I run a restaurant myself and there is no way I would ever argue with a guest it's un heard of in this trade.
The manager then sent the staff to ask us to leave the hotel, I have never heard anything like it. Less pretentious over priced plonk and more decent customer service
DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!

9 Thank SandMartinManager
Crickhowell, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013

The Hardwick never disappoints! Steven Terry sticks to his principles and convictions. Locally sourced produce, where possible, and of high quality. Supplemented by ethically-sourced produce from elsewhere in the UK (and beyond, sometimes). The menu changes to reflect this, with something to please everyone - from the more timid to the more adventurous eater.

The wine list is my kind of list - with a good range, accommodating simple requirements to those of a more celebratory kind. And a first-rate authentic espresso can be delivered!

The setting is Old Welsh-contemporary - tasteful and low key. How can you not relax? Especially as the "Rooms" are so inviting - and in keeping with the the overall Hardwick "philosophy".

Definitely "worth a detour"!

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Wales
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Firstly I want to say how shocked I am at some reviews on here. I experienced nothing like people are saying, so either people are overly critical or the whole place has changed in a few weeks!

I thought everything was fantastic. Even walking into the bar area we were greeted by friendly staff and a lovely ambience. We sat in the bar with our drinks and looked over the menu. We were then taken to our table when our food was ready. There was no long wait at all. We had the breads, I had Panzanella salad which was stunning and my partner had the meatballs and they were equally as nice. For my main I had the slow cooked pork belly which was heaven! Every mouthful was stunning! My partner had the steak which just melted when you cut into it. We were both too full for dessert! The portion sizes were perfect.

All in all it was a great meal and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone and can't wait to return again.

Please don't be put off by the negative reviews, I definitely do not agree with them!