“Perfect! ”

Ranked #9 of 30 Abergavenny B&B and Inns
Wales
“Perfect! ”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Firstly I want to say how shocked I am at some reviews on here. I experienced nothing like people are saying, so either people are overly critical or the whole place has changed in a few weeks!

I thought everything was fantastic. Even walking into the bar area we were greeted by friendly staff and a lovely ambience. We sat in the bar with our drinks and looked over the menu. We were then taken to our table when our food was ready. There was no long wait at all. We had the breads, I had Panzanella salad which was stunning and my partner had the meatballs and they were equally as nice. For my main I had the slow cooked pork belly which was heaven! Every mouthful was stunning! My partner had the steak which just melted when you cut into it. We were both too full for dessert! The portion sizes were perfect.

All in all it was a great meal and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone and can't wait to return again.

Please don't be put off by the negative reviews, I definitely do not agree with them!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
England
Reviewed September 22, 2013

After our previous bad experience it's been a year before we decided to accept our friends request for Sunday lunch. I didn't read any reviews on here beforehand, wish I had. Sunday lunch means two small roast potatoes and 1 slice of pork. Mine arrived without the apple sauce, which I had to point out. Add to that missed bread, a mistaken order and general staff apathy and its the last time ever for us. It's just not worth the money and not upto scratch for a restaurant that claims to base itself on great quality. Hardwick you need to forget all the extras and get back to basics, delivering great and memorable food with polite service at a decent price. But it looks as if you jut don't care, which is a shame as the Crown paid the price for trading on its reputation. I'm just annoyed that I wasted a good Sunday lunch and a packet of money, a mistake I will never be making again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank prophoto
Chepstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Waited 50 mins for a starter then a further hour for main. Waitress part refunded but spoilt the day a little! Food was ok... Not as good as I had hoped. We had the set menu which was fairly priced at £18 for two courses but choice was very limited. I had gnocchi which was ok. Just ok. Fish cakes were nice and well presented... Much prefer Raymond blancs for a Saturday lunch date! Decor was nice, toilets were clean.... But...Not rushing back!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Lollyw1
givvo
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Did a review before we left so need to add our experience at breakfast
Party of 9 sat down just before 9am; just a party of 6 being served otherwise who were at the end of breakfast
Good 20 mins before orders taken and at 10am one of our party went in to the kitchen to find where breakfast was. Not even toast had arrived by this time.
Last breakfast was served at 10:20 15 minutes after everybody else
One of the party wanted to order fruit but was told that there wasn't enough to serve her as they had to reserve it for lunch customers!
Several of us had ordered poached eggs; all of which turned up cold
No improvement on dinner!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank givvo
Caterham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

The first impressions of the restaurant are great. Cool tones and modish minimalism. The staff welcoming. The food on the other hand was disappointing. The large plate full of crab linguini lacked flavour and could have contained crab. The fish cake was ok. The rabbit rabbit rabbit had been so deconstructed to produce a burger, a faggot (meat ball), a few strips of loin with potato and a small dish of stew, all of which had been over salted. People would love to taste what they asked for. The lamb with aubergine was the better dish but unbalanced and needed carbohydrate. We did not order dessert. 'Not my favourite Welsh restaurant'. Sorry Michel Roux jr.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bushbaby2013
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We have stayed here twice before on our way to far west Wales and previously I have extolled the virtues of this comfortable roadside inn and the formerly excellent cuisine.

The room was as well appointed and clean as usual. Dinner, however, was disappointing. Firstly, all courses provided such enormous helpings that struggling through the first dampened the ardour for the main course. I started with crispy bobby beans with tuna and parmesan. The beans had been prepared in the way I remember many Italian restaurants of the 70s used to present zucchini (courgettes) fritter-battered. The idea was very good but the enormous pile on the plate was ill-judged.

My main course was crab linguine. While the flavours and textures were excellent, again there was far too much on the plate. Eating good food should not require marathon efforts. We also felt that the service personnel were slightly less focussed than on previous visits. I do hope these observations do not indicate a permanent reduction of application to perfection!

Room Tip: One twin bedded room - Room 4.