“Lovely Pub and Food”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Thones, France
“Lovely Pub and Food”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is a beautiful old pub and the landlord/landlady are both friendly and professional even though it was packed out when we went. After reading the menu, I didn't think it was going to be great, and I didn't fancy the main courses. However, my chargrilled starter was good and the lady was very accommodating when I asked for scallops as a main with chips and salad. I thought it was very adventurous of them to serve the scallops with deep fried shredded ginger etc and it tasted lovely. All four of us were equally impressed. Good wine and IPA too.

• Visited October 2012

Whyteleafe
“Fabulous Food!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I had a meal out at the Crown on Saturday 22nd Sept 2012 a wonderful meal
For starters we had Chargrilled chicken with pea & halloumi fritter and spicy lamb sausage on Puy lentils with minted natural yogurt - wonderful flavours
Main was Local venison loin chop on creamy truffle mash and ‘Welsh Black’ rib-eye steak with home made chips - it was one of the best steaks I have ever had , tender and full of flavour.
We followed this with Poached pear with Devon toffee ice cream and Panettone bread & butter pudding , both very light and tasty
The meal was three courses with a bottle of wine £80 good value for the excellent quality.
The staff were polite , pleasant and service was spot on.
This was the first time we have been to the Crown , but definitely will be back - Thank You

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Richard C
Abergavenny, Wales, United Kingdom
“An absolute treat”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was taken here for a romantic meal. It was outstanding.

The staff were friendly, the atmosphere was perfect - a lot less formal than some places can be, and very cosy on a wet evening.

The food was outstanding, we HAD to sample all 3 courses and could barely move afterwards, but I was ever so glad that we sampled the lot!

Highly recommended and we shall return :D

• Visited April 2012
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“OVER ALL NOT BAD - BUT NOT AS GOOD AS WE EXPECTED”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We were in Abergavenny for the food festival over the weekend of 15th/16th Sep, and wanted to find a nice place to have dinner, we trawled trip advisor and found this little place, we read the reviews which were glowing, and very encouraging, so we booked for the Saturday evening.
It unfortunately let me down a little food wise.. they professed to be gastro pub to the highest standard, but I'm not entirely sure if pasta of any kind goes well with a fillet of sea bass.. I don't really see the point in it. It would have been better with a potato dish of some sort surely. Also my partner was a bit dissapointed with his malted chocolate pannacota .. expecting the lushious white creamy pannacota with a layer maybe of the malted chocolate on the top of it, it was mixed in together making it quite rich and over powering, slightly spoilt the dish.

We were also moved during our time at the table to further along inside an archway, as there were only two of us at our table, I guess they thought we weren't as important as the other table behind with 4 people at it. So made us feel a little under valued, and then the wait for the bill followed by the wait to pay the same was also slow.
I've got nothing bad to say about the serving staff, as it appears there was only one waitress for the entire restaurant., and to be fair she did a great job of coping.

All in all it was a good night, just a little deflated from the amazing night everyone had professed to have had previously.. I guess there has to be one that doesn't get the same experience.

• Visited September 2012
Abergavenny, Wales, United Kingdom
“Good pub Fantastic food”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

This Pub is on the backend of the Sugerloaf mounatin. Its a good place to rest after a nice walk. Perfect real ale too. (BASS) a fantastic find in the country with fantastic views or the skirrid mountain another nice walk.
However come to thios pub in the evening and the story changes its the same pub... but the food ... well hung welsh black steak. Its food of the gods service is good and the landlord always happy to help. Visit this pub or missout on somthing hidden from the travelers

Visited September 2012