“gourmet weekend”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Abergavenny
west glamorgan
“gourmet weekend”
Reviewed March 27, 2010

while we enjoyed this weekend . The bedrooms need a bit of work as does the carpet in the hallway , No critisims of the staff although a smile goes a long way The breakfast staff being the exception to the norm. Its the first time i've eaten in a restaurant and didn't feel obliged to leave a tip this also includes the reception staff and manager

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
London
Reviewed March 22, 2010

We stayed here after our pre-booked hotel in Abergavenny turned out to be unbearably noisy.
The room was comfortable if a bit old-fashioned; the staff very helpful and friendly; the room lovely and quiet; and the breakfast was delicious. I would be happy to stay here again.
The only downside was the plumbing was a little old (shower wasn't amazing, and bath ran out of hot water) but that's no great surprise in such an old building.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Swindon
Reviewed February 7, 2010

We had such a LOVELY weekend in this hotel. We had a "foodie" break that included 2 nights B&B and one night's dinner for a very reasonable price, which was perfect, because after we'd had the breakfast on the first morning we couldn't have managed a big dinner the same day!

I agree with what others have said that the rooms were nothing special, but they were clean and had everything you needed. The only downpoint for me was that our double bed was in fact two twins pushed together with a double sheet over the top. But that is really all we had to complain about.

The food was one of the best things about it. We received complimentary champagne delivered to our room on arrival, which we weren't expecting, and it really made our trip. The hotel's location is second to none - smack bang in the middle of town and with beautiful hills and views on the doorstep. On our second morning we took the hotel up on its "takeaway" breakfast option - the breakfasts were generous and provided a mid-morning snack, not just our breakfast picnic, and we went cycling across beautiful countryside that was immediately accessible from the hotel.

The food was excellent from start to finish, including the best starter we've ever had, and a delicious and generous breakfast. Best of all was the afternoon tea (I know, how much did we eat?!) which was elegant and again, utterly delicious.

The other real strong point of this hotel was the cosy and comfortable downstairs rooms - a living room with comfy armchairs, two attractive bars, a restaurant, an outside area. This was also the reason that the average bedrooms made no difference to me, since we took our newspaper and went to relax in lovely surroundings downstairs. Perfect. I wish I could recreate the exact same hotel in a different location so that I could explore new places but still have that level of comfort to return to. All in all, I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2010

Just great, very convenient.. Centre of the city and the castle is just crossing the road.

Stayed April 2009
United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2009

Stayed 2 nights on a supposed 'gourmet' break in a superior double newly refurbished room. The room (28) was small and dark, the furniture layout was neither pleasing on the eye or user friendly. The bed was very small & the mattress offered no support at all, very uncomfortable to sleep in, we are a lightly built couple, if you're carying a few pounds it's only a single bed! The bathroom was well refurbished and functional. This room was not worth the extra premium paid for superior, in other hotels it would only be sold as a single.
Unfortunately our dining experience didn't make up for the disappointing room, my starter of seared squid with shallots garlic, coriander & chilli oil was comical, at best it had been broiled, at worst microwaved. It bore no trace of the accompanying ingredients and was clearly not cooked to order. When the waitress enquired why I had not eaten this starter I explained why it did not match the description and questioned the cooking method. The waitress then told me that maybe I just didn't like the dish as many other people had ordered this and not complained!
Stunned by this I tried to explain what the dish should have been and she clearly had no idea. My main course of confit belly pork, sauteed loin & pigs cheek was also staggeringly inept, clearly prepared hours before & by now dried up & tasteless with an unwelcome crust on the base from sittng in the oven for hours. The only redeeming feature was the excellent Rioja from the wine list, although poor attention to detail meant we had to request another wine glass so my partner could have some as well. To be fair, my partners choices of smoked salmon and venison were far more successful although not without error, cold parsnip puree went untouched. What bothered me most was the indifferent attitude of our eastern european waitress, clearly a product of the kitchens indifference.

In contrast, our next night's dining experience at the Walnut Tree was absolutely wonderful. Fabulous food, perfectly executed by a truly gifted chef and his well drilled team. Shaun Hill should be concerned that the Angel associates itself with the Walnut Tree, his name is far too good to be linked in any small way to the Angel dining room's standard of mediocrity.

Breakfast at the Angel was really pretty good, no complaints there.

Would we stay at the Angel again? Not based on our experience, overpriced for the quality it thinks it offers, many other hotels actually have the substance to acompany the style.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank earlybird321
Norfolk
Reviewed October 25, 2009

Great room, friendly reception, superb restaurant. I would definitely plan to stay there again if in the area. Worth a detour if not quite in the area!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NorfolkCommonMan
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2009

I can't find fault in the Angel. They are busily refurbshing the old dated rooms and you should ask for the better rooms when you book they will point you in the right direction. I have stayed there many times over the last 18 months and I have my favourite. The new rooms are really very exceptional for this grade of hotel and price.The breakfast is cooked to order and the orange juice is fresh. The dining room has been smartly renovated and the menu is very good. The cooking is well executed and the meat particularly delicious, sourced locally you would find it hard to beat even in this foodie oasis.. Wine and champagne by the glass. This is an example of what a provincial hotel should be. They try hard, have good taste and exceute all very well. Well done

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank MIckeyBoy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abergavenny
Llansantffraed Court
#1 of 2 in Crickhowell
Abergavenny Hotel
Abergavenny Hotel
#2 of 29 in Abergavenny

Been to The Angel? Share your experiences!