“Nice stay ”

The Angel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Abergavenny
“Nice stay ”
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Throughout the stay staff were really helpful. We had 1 night stay with meal in restaurant.
due to personal circumstances I had to push back our dinner booking twice, from 7:30 to 8:30 then to 9:00, after explaining why they were fine with this saying just get here when you can .... and even upgraded our room on arrival. Booking in was quick.
The room was on top floor overlooking the courtyard. Smart quirky room with slanting floors which was fun. Bath and shower, toiletries , selection of teas and biccies provided .
Downside Was a very hot room and double bed seemed small, although were used to a super king so may just be me lol. Could have left window open but am light sleeper so my choice not to.
Quiet in the night, no disruptions.
Had wake up call as promised. Main areas were tidy and clean throughout hotel.
Lovely breakfast consisting of cereal croissants fruit and full cooked. and again good service from staff .check out quick.
will stay again but will ask for bigger bed!

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Mel C
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read the staff were very helpful, and flexible when changing your time of dinner.

I am sorry your room was very hot, however the weather has been very warm this summer.

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely review and we hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I note it's nearly a year since I last reviewed The Angel, looking back it was lunch with a friend in the restaurant, this time it was lunch with a friend in the lovely Courtyard. Again we decided to go for the seafood sharing platter, it was more expensive than I remember it but also improved. A big bowl of delightfully cooked mussels dominated the platter but there was plenty of room for generous servings of smoked salmon, langoustine, crab toasts, prawns, white crab meat, crayfish tails etc. It was accompanied by beautiful breads and a glass of chilled white wine and I was in foodie heaven, it really is one of the best summer lunches you'll find anywhere! Try to leave some room for a superb apricot tart served with home made amaretto ice cream that is simply sublime.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bopeep1947
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed our seafood platter in the courtyard; the courtyard is such a lovely treat.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Dinas Powys, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Angel Hotel, which is centrally located in Abergavenny. We booked a room in The Mews which is a former stable adjacent to the hotel. The room was beautifully furnished with a very comfy bed and well equipped bathroom. Parking was easy either in the hotel’s own car park at the rear of the hotel or in the public car park opposite, with free parking after 6.00 p.m. and all day Sunday.
Our evening meal in the Oak Room was excellent with good food, wine and service. Breakfast the following morning had plenty of choice and we stayed for a light lunch with friends in the Foxhunter Bar.
All staff were extremely helpful and courteous and we would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The Mews rooms are beautifully furnished and have very well equipped bathrooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rowsell2014
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to read your review about your stay in The Mews, evening meal in The Oak Room, and lunch in The Foxhunter Bar.

London
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Returning to this historic hotel for a three-night visit after a gap of several years I was happy to find it even better than I remembered. Room and service were faultless and I felt there had been a definite ratcheting-up of quality in the restaurant. The two dinners I had there were quite excellent and exceptional value for money as well.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank IanCLondon
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

What a pleasure to read your review. I am so pleased you found your stay even better than you had remembered.

England
Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

This hotel looks beautiful with Farrow and Ball type paint schemes, orchids and great designer style. We found our executive room lovely if a bit small with slightly irritating touches like no bedside tables, a fancy shower which took ages to drain but everything is new and stylish.
Where it scores really highly is the terrific food. Just delicious at dinner and breakfast. Super service and very reasonable. Book in advance as it is full of locals coming for dinner, drinks and afternoon tea.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maida22
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to read you would have preferred the bedside tables instead of a headboard shelf. I have also made our maintenance team aware of the slow drain in the shower.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed your delicious dinner and breakfast. I will make sure your comments are passed onto our team regarding super service.

Cwmbran
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We stayed here for 1 night whilst celebrating our anniversary and my husband's birthday and we were suitably impressed. We had a lovely room which was comfortable, quiet and extremely clean with an en-suite bathroom/shower which, although was somewhat dated was again extremely clean and had everything we wanted. We had booked a meal in the restaurant and have to say it was the best service and food we have had in some years. The staff were very attentive and helpful from arrival and breakfast was very good indeed. My husband said that the bacon, in particular, was the best he'd had and the black pudding was excellent. We will certainly go again.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 2nd floor which was probably why it was quiet as, if you were on the 1st floor...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Belpol
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

I thank you for leaving such a complimentary review of your recent visit to The Angel. I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and that The Angel is the best hotel of your experience. I will share your comments with everyone here and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Usk, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Cocktails band supper in the Foxhunter bar area never disappoints. Visited Saturday evening late with my husband and daughter. The mojitos are the best I've ever tasted, and the service provided by efficient happy staff make this more pleasurable.
The food was delicious, and I recommend the scallops.
It's hard to beat in the area which is why we keep coming back!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Janclem2013
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to note that your supper in the Foxhunter bar lived up to your expectations. I will make sure to pass on your kind comments in regards to the mojito’s and efficient, happy staff.

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Angel again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abergavenny
Llansantffraed Court
#2 of 30 in Abergavenny
Kings Arms
Kings Arms
#3 of 30 in Abergavenny

Been to The Angel? Share your experiences!