“A wonderful weekend”
Review of The Angel

The Angel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Abergavenny
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We thought we would have a 2 night break in Abergavenny having driven through recently.The hotel is an absolute joy.Situated in the centre of the busy market town it is within easy walking distance of all local attractions.The staff were incredibly helpful,(offering us an umbrella when the rain started unexpectedly),and knowledgable.There was a wedding reception on the saturday night(which we were informed of before we booked)but we were given the assurance that we would not be disturbed as our room would be away from the celebrations.I had one of the best nights sleep of recent months thanks to a really comfortable bed and the location of the room.Both breakfast and evening meals were excellent(the house red and white wine offer superb value for money).Congratulations to managers and staff,we will definately return.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank willtravel6062
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed your recent stay with us at The Angel.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Just come back after a short break. Booked a one night stay bed and breakfast for a friends sons wedding evening party. At the Angel Hotel. We arrived and found the car park to the rear of the hotel easily and parked up. We went to reception where we were given a friendly welcome. Our accommodation was in The Mews which was a cute mews cottage at the back of the building.
It was a lovely sized room with a super kingsize bed,en suite facilities, crisp white bedding and muted decor, a quiet reflective space and being at the back very quiet. The function room where the wedding was held was a charming room, with its own bar attached ,a lovely venue for a wedding , the buffet a hog roast was absolutely smashing,service was attentive and courteous.
The rest of the hotel was lovely with charming quiet spaces for guests to relax. Breakfast was lovely with a wide choice from cereals,fresh fruit,pastries and full English breakfasts, and many more choices on the morning menu. Also breakfast 8 -10am and they also did a late breakfast which is great if you want a lie in.everything was lovely and clean.staff pleasant. Our only regret was we were not staying longer. I think we will return at sometime in the future

Room Tip: The mews at the back of the hotel is very quiet
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MikeandAly

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased that your recent visit to The Angel lived up to your expectations.

We certainly strive to provide quality service throughout all areas of the hotel and I am happy to hear that you found this to be true.

Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

My mother in law brought me here for lunch. I had the Vietnamese pulled pork burger and she had the crab starter. Really delicious food! We sat in the courtyard on a sunny day which was lovely. I had my 9 month old son with me and I can honestly say, they had the best changing facilities I've seen yet. Staff were also extremely friendly and helpful. Will come again!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank lvmb2009

Dear Guest,

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your lunch at The Angel.

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments. The Courtyard is a lovely place to enjoy a relaxed lunch; I am glad that you found this to your liking.

Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

My partner brought me to the Angel as a birthday treat. The room was beautiful. We had the set menu for £25 per person which was absolutely fantastic value, with amazing food and good portion sizes. The breakfast was wonderful too and available until midday. Every single member of staff we came across was cheerful and so helpful. The atmosphere of the hotel in general was lovely, bustling with local people enjoying the food and drink as well as residents. I would highly recommend a stay here.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bethanbabyx
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

Dear Guest,

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at The Angel.

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments. The Oak Room is a lovely place to enjoy the £25.00 Angel Menu; I am glad that you found this to your liking.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

The communal areas were very pleasant; the restaurant was good and the bar area had character. Breakfast was enjoyable and of a fair quality, although there was very little choice with respect to the continental option. The room was basic and old fashioned, appearing not to have been updated for many years. I found it to be dark, dismal and depressing, and I had a view of a brick wall. The traffic outside was very noisy but as the room had no air conditioning the window had to be left open all night, making it almost impossible to sleep. The bathroom resembled that found in a very cheap hostel - it is one of the worst I have seen in recent times. There was no complementary water and only the minimum toiletries were provided (one small soap, shower gel and shampoo). I was charged £111 for one night but would not have expected to pay more than £60 for a room of this quality. It was clean and the staff were very friendly. I would not stay at this hotel again unless I was desperate.

Room Tip: A large and light room not facing the main road.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank 4d6f6e7465
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed The Oak Room, Foxhunter Bar, and breakfast in the morning.

I am sorry to read your disappointment with your standard guestroom. The hotel has been undergoing refurbishments for the past 11 years and will be undergoing refurbishments for a further 5 years. All of the standard rooms in the hotel are due for refurbishment which is reflected in the guestroom tariff. We would have been happy to offer you a different room had we known of your displeasure at the time.

We hope you will reconsider and we can welcome you back to The Angel in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed May 19, 2014

We stayed in the Castle cottage for Easter, myself and my wife arrived on Thursday the 17th of April at a rate of £210 plus £10 for our dog, which was fine, we have stayed in the cottage many times at these sort of rates. Our son and his partner joined us for the Friday and Saturday nights at a rate of £324 a night, again that was fine. I phonened the Hotel this morning to book the cottage for our 25th wedding anniversary, which is on the 12th of August. Thinking we would arrive on the Monday and leave on the Thursday, only to be told by the lady I spoke to, that the rates had changed, and that it is now £304 per night mid-week for 2 people, thats a 43% increase which we think is very very high. We would be interested what other people think.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Peter J
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

Our cottage prices have been restructured where it is a set price, instead of pricing based per guest. Dependent upon occupancy, we have been reducing the prices midweek.

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further, please contact me directly here at the hotel on 01873 857121.

I hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to The Angel in the very near future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed May 11, 2014

We have just returned from our weekend, 2 night stay. Our room was very comfortable, with just about everything we needed. The bed was incredibly comfortable and I had the best nights sleep I have had in a long time. We did feel the carpet and some of the paintwork in our room could have done with attention, but minor niggles. There was also a note by the window telling us that for our safety, it opened from the top down. It actually opened bottom up. I couldn't get the bathroom window open at all but my husband managed.
The best thing about this hotel was the service. There was always someone around, everyone seemed happy in their work, and they couldn't do enough for us. We went to a picnic last night, and the hotel made us up a picnic to take with us which was delicious.
The food here was excellent and service was generally very good. It slowed down yesterday lunchtime but the restaurant was very busy. If I was going back to Wales, I would certainly stay here again without a doubt.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Joanne C
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

The room you stayed in was a standard room which is due to be refurbished in the near future; which will include new carpet and paintwork. I will make sure to pass on your comments regarding the window to housekeeping.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed the service at the hotel; we strive to provide exemplary service and I am happy you found this to be true.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Abergavenny
Llansantffraed Court
#1 of 1 in Llanhamlach
Abergavenny Hotel
Abergavenny Hotel
#2 of 31 in Abergavenny

Been to The Angel? Share your experiences!