“Lovely weekend”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Abergavenny
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Lovely weekend”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

We have just returned from our weekend, 2 night stay. Our room was very comfortable, with just about everything we needed. The bed was incredibly comfortable and I had the best nights sleep I have had in a long time. We did feel the carpet and some of the paintwork in our room could have done with attention, but minor niggles. There was also a note by the window telling us that for our safety, it opened from the top down. It actually opened bottom up. I couldn't get the bathroom window open at all but my husband managed.
The best thing about this hotel was the service. There was always someone around, everyone seemed happy in their work, and they couldn't do enough for us. We went to a picnic last night, and the hotel made us up a picnic to take with us which was delicious.
The food here was excellent and service was generally very good. It slowed down yesterday lunchtime but the restaurant was very busy. If I was going back to Wales, I would certainly stay here again without a doubt.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Joanne C
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

The room you stayed in was a standard room which is due to be refurbished in the near future; which will include new carpet and paintwork. I will make sure to pass on your comments regarding the window to housekeeping.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed the service at the hotel; we strive to provide exemplary service and I am happy you found this to be true.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Montrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We recently arranged a reunion for a group of 12 of us & we stayed for 3 nights. It is the best hotel I have stayed in for many years; it is well appointed & decorated & the attention to detail is very impressive; for example the rooms had orchid plants changed everyday & the public rooms were furnished with flowers & greenery which was refreshed daily & most professionally done. The staff were very welcoming & most proficient & the food was exemplary as was the service in the restaurant. The hotel offers excellent value for money; I would highly recommend it & look forward to another stay there.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank 259BrianL259
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely feedback.

I am so pleased to read you and your group enjoyed their stay at The Angel.

I will make sure to pass on your lovely comments to our team.

Cumbria
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Booked a 3 night DB&B stay in a standard double room and was pleasantly surprised on arrival to be told we'd been upgraded to a "Superior" room at no extra cost. Unfortunately, the room was tiny and the bed, albeit very comfortable, took up almost all available space. The en-suite too was so small it didn't even accommodate a shelf for toiletries. I've been in larger Ibis Hotel rooms. Additionally, the room overlooked the road leading up the hill past the side of the hotel which meant that traffic noise was intrusive, particularly if the window was opened to allow some night time ventilation. The alternative of leaving the room air-con on was not an option - it was even noisier! To its credit, the hotel was spotless, and particularly on the ground floor was very well appointed; the restaurant/breakfast food was excellent and the staff without exception were friendly and helpful. Everything pointed to at least a 4* rating but in our case we felt let down by the somewhat claustrophibic accommodation.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard will be quieter. Check room sizes carefully - a "Superior" roo...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

I appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience at The Angel, we greatly value hearing all our guest’s feedback. I am sorry to hear that your “upgrade” was not to your liking. Your were actually upgraded to an executive room, which is the smallest of our refurbished rooms. Our superior rooms are our middle size refurbished rooms with deluxe as our largest. In addition, it is a shame you found the traffic noise a problem; typically the rooms on the side of the hotel do not present much problem with noise, however we are always happy to provide ear plugs upon request.

I am pleased you found the hotel spotless, with excellent restaurant and breakfast food.

Please be assured that I will share your comments with the rest of the team as we constantly strive to improve our guests’ experience.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Positives: staff very polite, efficient and clearly enjoy their employment at the Angel, the decor is of a high quality, the choice of places to sit and have a drink (inside and out), high standard of breakfast and evening meal in wonderful colonial feel setting, excellent quality room service, comfy beds and great rooms overall, great location for exploring the town and Brecon Beacons

Negative (only one): the smell from the fire meant we couldn't open the window in the evening but a fan was available in the room to keep the temperature down.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sabina H
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback.

I am sorry to learn the smell of the fire meant you couldn't open your window, yet pleased the fan in your room kept the temperature down.

It is lovely to read you found the staff very polite, along with high standards for our food and beverage.

On behalf of us all here at The Angel, I very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards,

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2014

We were greeted by a lovely young man at reception and who offered us a room upgrade at no extra charge. We were put in room 5. The room was extremely comfortable and had a great selection of teas, biscuits and coffees. The gentleman at the bar made a cracking gin and tonic and we only wished we could have stayed in for dinner.

Breakfast was a delight and our every need was catered for. The staff were very pleasant and the selection of food was excellent -the poached eggs were perfect!

We also stayed for afternoon tea (highly recommended). The selection of food was great. My only issue was that after explaining I was vegetarian, despite being given a separate plate of sandwiches, I was still given a non-vegetarian jelly in the sweet course. After enquiring, this was amended quickly and the waitress was very helpful.

All in all it was the perfect stay and we will most definitely be back!!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Lapetitegalloise
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to read you had a fantastic Easter break.

I will make sure your kind comments are passed onto Tom at reception along with our team who helped you for afternoon tea.

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The angel hotel has just had a large refurbishment , and it shows !
Fantastic local hotel ,full of charictor and style , refitted to a very high level.our stay wasn't cheap , but when is spend money I want value for money and you get lots of value for money here.we booked a basic room ,large bright and well equipped . The room had a fantastic Bed,well equipped bathroom, so overall great. Check in was a doddle, no drama , just efficient and friendly ,just what you want !
Breakfast vas stunning and flawless, choice fantastic quality and portions.
Overall a great hotel

Room Tip: Bring your driving licence so you can borrow the electric buggy !
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank peter h
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014

What a lovely review.

I am pleased to read you feel the hotel is a fantastic local hotel, full of character and style, refitted to a very high level with lots of value for money.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and we hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I spent some time here with my wife here over the Easter weekend. The staff were lovely, check in was quick and it is a beautiful Building (bit of a maze to get around!).

Tip: When driving to the hotel, don’t pull outside the hotel, take the little alley immediately to the left of the hotel (about the width of a car) and go straight to the car park behind, other wide you have to do the whole one way system again to park the car!

Our room was top floor and faced the central courtyard. It very large room, Comfy Bed, quiet at night too. Location is awesome as well. Bit of a design fault, that if you lay in the lovely large cast iron bed, half the TV is viewed through the metal bed rails, TV should have been mounted higher on the wall.

We ate in the Bar at night and had a few troubles getting service started. We were sat there for 10 minutes with menus, with a server ignoring us, before I went to the bar to order food and drinks. It was 5:57 and food service didn’t start until 6pm and the bartender refused to take the order! Seriously, ring it in, as a customer I am okay waiting 3 minutes for the cook to start cooking my food, I am not okay having to return to the bar twice!! (Having 15 years in Food and beverage service in Hotels and Restaurants, I have never come across this before.) The server did finally start serving us, and was very friendly just not attentive. The food we had was okay, I had an Asian Burger, which was huge in height, but both the burger and pulled pork was dry making it difficult to eat (Try cooking the pork in a jus to add moisture next time). However breakfast was awesome, tasted great and we were served by a guy, who was very friendly and chatty, really makes a difference.

I would stay at this location again, as visually it’s a cracking hotel with mostly, however a little effort does need to placed on the service and execution of the night bar operation.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cpj79
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback. I am sorry to learn you were disappointed with the Asian burger and the service in the bar. I will make sure to speak to the staff members involved so that we can improve for the future.

I am pleased however that you enjoyed breakfast and your stay with us at The Angel.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abergavenny
Llansantffraed Court
#1 of 2 in Crickhowell
Abergavenny Hotel
Abergavenny Hotel
#2 of 30 in Abergavenny

Been to The Angel? Share your experiences!