“Well Impressed”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Abergavenny
teesside
“Well Impressed”
Reviewed September 2, 2008

In my opinion the Angel Hotel is a fantastic little place. I can honestly say that I could not fault anything. We stayed in a delux double which cost £130.00 a night inc. breakfast. The room was spacious and clean, food was beautiful and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Worth every penny.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — faulty internet
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank richy76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2008

We stayed here recently as we were attending a wedding in Abergavenny. Although the wedding reception wasn’t in the Angel, the entire hotel was filled with the wedding guests. You’d think then that the staff would have been a bit more helpful considering the amount of business the bride and groom had brought. Not a bit of it.

Firstly, when I booked a room for my family and my Dad, we had to book a deluxe room as the hotel was almost full. This was fine and I asked if they had a room for my father. The man taking my reservation said I probably wouldn’t want it, it was only a single and no shower, only a bath. I said it was for my Dad and could I still book it? He reluctantly agreed and charged me £70. When I rang a few weeks later and asked for a Z bed to be added for my nephew, they told me I wasn’t booked in at all. Panicking, I asked them to have another look, spelling my name as I had when first booking. Despite being put on hold for ten minutes, they said “Sorry Mrs Griffiths, there’s no sign of you”, I said my name wasn’t Griffiths, and spelt my name yet again. It turns out that I had been booked in under a mis spelt name. This wasn’t too bad but I had spelt it letter by letter at least twice. I then asked for a Z bed for my nephew (as mentioned on the website) and they said there wasn’t room but they could make up a mattress on the floor. They charged an extra £20 bringing our one night bill to £150.

In fact when we saw our room, it was very big and there was comfortably room for probably two Z beds had we needed them! Prior to booking in, we rang five days beforehand to ask if we could check in at 1pm instead of 3pm, when the wedding began. Well, they couldn’t promise anything, they’d have to ask housekeeping. I rang a few days later and even housekeeping couldn’t promise anything. I thought this wasn’t very good service at all.

My aunt, also a guest, was told to ring a mobile number if she came back after a certain time, and the bride and groom couldn’t get a drink there with fellow guests as they “had closed the bar” at 11.30pm!. After some insistence from the paying guests, they reluctantly opened the bar, but this was just another example of the unwelcoming and obstructive service. Our room was indeed luxuriously appointed in “The Mews”, but its no good having a luxury bathroom if you feel the staff don’t really want you there. Pretty interior, good breakfast, good location, but don’t expect a warm welcome unless its from reception. I doubt any of the people who stayed that night would rush back. Terrible way to run a business.

• Liked — Central location, pretty interior, decent breakfast.
  • Disliked — Surly staff, felt like I wasn't allowed to be there, too many rules, steep stairs up to room, the customer is always wrong!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank TheWanderingWoman
England
Reviewed July 11, 2008

I grew up in Abergavenny and moved away from home early 2007, so this was my first Christmas trip back home. To make it a special weekend we decided to book into the Angel.

When booking we were told that due to it being close to Christmas there may be some noise from the parties. This was not a problem as the noise didn't carry on passed midnight.

When arriving at the hotel i must say that the communal areas were clean, welcoming and stylish, however, the room was a major disappointment. It was like walking into a different hotel.

There was plaster peeling off the walls, marks left from pictures/mirrors that had once hung on the walls and our room was only cleaned when we returned at 2pm and rang down to reception to enquire.

All in all i was very disappointed, we paid rather alot for our room but on reflection would have been better off staying with family. I will not stay there again.

When i returned from the weekend break i e-mailed the manager, not to complain but more to advise that it may be wise for them to change the pictures of the rooms used on their website in order to avoid disappointment for future guests. It took them 2 weeks to reply and when they did i was told that they were in the middle of a refurb and that the more expensive rooms were finished, personally i don't think that £80 per night could be classed as a cheap room nor should that mean that you have to spend the night in a shabby room. I did not receive an appology in fact i was left with the impression that once they had my money they didn't really care if i enjoyed my stay.

Having said that the reception staff were very helpful.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank welshkatty
world traveller in Netherlands
Reviewed May 22, 2008

The hotel has a wide range of rooms. Do not try the cheaper ones, as they are worn and old. The 'superior' rooms are indeed much better and well worth the extra money.

Service in the hotel is friendly, but albeit a small hotel not personalized. They could do better.

Food in the hotel is good and very reasonably priced. The location is smack in the centre of the town, which is good when to check out the environs.

• Liked — Food and superior room
  • Disliked — Normal room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank worldtravellerTom
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 4, 2007

We stayed at the Angel for one night on a recent trip to Wales. The location is very convenient and there is parking in back (though we were not able to find a space the first time we tried--had to come back a few hours later). The public areas (restaurant, sitting room, bar) are very nice, but our room was a bit dire. It was quite small and the decor didn't look like it had been touched in years. The bathroom, which appeared to have been an afterthought as you stepped up a high step into it (presumably to accommodate plumbing that was not originally there), was quite dingy. Still, the food in the restaurant was quite good and overall the experience was fine for a night.

• Liked — Convenient location and nice public areas.
  • Disliked — Dingy room and bathroom.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Leics
Reviewed September 4, 2007

We visited the hotel in April for a friends wedding.The website promises luxury rooms at luxury prices.
The Car park small and difficult to negotiate although there is a pay and display across the road.
Unfortunately when we got there, we were greeted by quite surly staff. who directed us up windy staircases with worn carpets to our Luxury room-What a disappointment!
The room was a good size but had a very ordinary sized,very uncomfotable double bed.There was a sette in a 'annex' area-this faced the kitchens and was too far aawy from the TV to be useful.
The bathroom was nicely appointed with the much heraled Villroy and Bosch bathroom suite(so what) but the bathroom was small,badly designed and bath very narrow,
There were no tea making facilities as you were supposed to phone down to the kitchens for drinks-fine if staff were on duty but difficult and awkward if you needed a drink out of hours.
When we asked for note paper it was not fothcoming.
The breakfasts were good-and staff nice but then they were American so know about service.
Overall very poor value for money-wouldn't recommend it-but then again chioce of hotels in Abervagenny is limited.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — poor value-lumpy,small bed
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Elsa64
Victoria, Australia
Reviewed July 21, 2007

We stayed at the Angel Hotel in Abergavenny for only 1 night unfortunatly in July. The hotel was a delightful restored place in central Abergavenny. We enjoyed a nice twin room as requested. The rooms are older but modern enough, the floors make a little noise and the hotel can have noise from outside but you expect that when staying so central. The hotel has a delightful sitting room, bar and restaurant. Our food was delicious in the main dining room (not cheap though) and the service was good as well. I would recommend it. And its worth going to High Tea in the afternoon - delicious scones in the outside courtyard!

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank LauraJaneHutchinson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abergavenny
Llansantffraed Court
#1 of 2 in Crickhowell
Abergavenny Hotel
Abergavenny Hotel
#2 of 30 in Abergavenny

Been to The Angel? Share your experiences!