“Stunning Lemon Sole”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Abergavenny
Brecon, United Kingdom
“Stunning Lemon Sole”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Have not been to the Angel for a number of years but what a transformation we discovered yesterday.We had lunch in the dining room which was as were all the other eating areas buzzing and almost full to capacity.I ate the run of the mill burger,my wife had the lemon sole which was perfectly cooked and one of the best she has eaten.Well done chef.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I am happy to read that you enjoyed lunch in The Oak room at The Angel.

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind comments. The Oak Room is a lovely place to enjoy a relaxing lunch; I am pleased you particularly enjoyed the lemon sole and burger.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Angel Hotel in the future.

Kind Regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Hebrew first
Cardiff
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Had a one night stay last night and was really pleasantly surprised. We had a good price, but this hotel's attention to detail didn't go unrecognised. Spotlessly clean, fabulous service, excellent staff. Room was small but this is an old coach house so take it for it's history. The room was tastefully decorated and white company products a nice touch. The food was also to a high standard whilst offering a good portion at good value. This goes also for breakfast. Only issue was the room we had was close to the function room where there was a wedding so disco music until midnight was a shame but if you can avoid this I would definitely recommend.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased that your recent visit to The Angel was a pleasant surprise.

We certainly strive to provide impeccable food and service throughout all areas of the hotel and I am happy to read that you found this to be true.

I am sorry you had a room next to the wedding disco, our receptionists are typically very good about informing guests about any function noise.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Angel Hotel in the future.

Kind Regards,

Raglan, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

What a fantastic day we had! All the initial dealings with Charlotte and Jo were very professional and the communication between us first class. Kate and James sampled the possible menu choices in the restaurant and found this experience very profitable. The attention to detail has been superb throughout.
The day itself was brilliant with the ballroom laid out for us the night before so we could add all out little touches and any requests made were immediately sorted by Ross. The drinks reception in the Wedgewood room was great and the mulled wine and mince pies were very well received. Then the reception ! The food was simply fantastic, fish cakes to start were very tasty and then the Beef main course was simply to die for and all the guests comments were very positive. Then the dessert, sticky toffee pudding and Ice cream - oh yes ! The service throughout the meal was very efficient and the staff were very friendly and accommodating to all the different dietary needs of our guests. The whole wedding ran like clockwork including the evening which included an amazing array of curries with sides. The quality and quantity of all the food and drinks served throughout the whole day was brilliant with all the guests commenting on this.
Those guests that stayed in the hotel had a similar experience to the wedding - great!
I would just like to sum up in thanking the Angel for making this day amazing and all that we had hoped for and more.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

What a fantastic review!

I am pleased to read you thought Kate’s wedding day was brilliant and service very efficient.

I will pass on your kind comments to our chefs and our team of service staff.

Big congratulations to Kate & James, we wish them the best for the future.

We hope to welcome all of you back to The Angel in the near future.

UK
Reviewed January 4, 2014

My wife and I were attending a wedding just after the New Year and this was one of the hotels suggested, so I used Google Street View to have a look at it. Although it looked ok, Google didn't do it justice and I didn't expect to be so impressed. It is a magnificent building and the refurbishment has been done done to an extremely high standard. There were numerous log fires, the staff were very friendly and helpful, the room was spotlessly clean and we would definitely recommend it.
The weather was poor and we didn't have much time to visit the local area anyway, but we plan to return a bit later in the year and we will definitely stay at The Angel Hotel again.

Room Tip: Room 29 overlooks a rear courtyard so is very quiet, but other rooms at the front may enjoy better v...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, January 5, 2014

What a lovely review.

I am pleased to read you found the staff very friendly, helpful and the room spotlessly clean.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

pontypool
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Visited on new years day when there was only a fixed small menu available.

I can appreciate this as you had just got over the new year celebrations.

However, when I purchase an £11.60 steak toasted sandwich that came with onion jam, and salad the least I would expect would be for the salad and jam / chutney to be on the plate separate and not all put inside my sandwich.

I had asked for it to be cooked medium but was more towards rare. The addition of the cold salad and jam / chutney made the whole thing cool going towards cold very quickly.

I was also expecting some nicely cooked and presented chips but got a sprinkle of those things akin to what a fast food diner serves.

Never like complaining at the time especially when in company but this was not up to your usual standard. I wonder if chef was the trainee that day?

Lovely place well attended to staff excellent but this does not need to happen again I'm sorry.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Dear Mr. Garrett,

Thank you for your e-mail.

During the holiday season the hotel offers specific menus as our aim is to provide quick and efficient service. We offer a restricted menu in The Foxhunter Bar on New Year’s Day as it would be inefficient for us to provide a special New Years Day menu in our Oak Room and function rooms plus choice of the full a la carte menu in the bar.

I am sorry you were disappointed the onion jam and salad were not on a separate plate; we would have been happy to do this for you upon request. The steak sandwich is one of our most popular items; however we cannot predict how you would like items separate unless we are told.

I am grateful for your e-mail, however it would have been much more helpful on both sides if you had brought these points to our attention on the day. These would have been very simply things for us to discretely rectify.

We this has not marred your impression of The Angel and we can welcome you back again in the future.

Happy New Year.

Abergavenny, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We booked the "Cellar", evening of 7th Dec 2013 for a Christmas meal. It was both a memorable and magical evening. All guests without exception said "must do again". Our Host for the evening was Anna, who managed the whole event from the moment we arrived until sadly we had to take our leave.
On arrival Anna met with us to discuss the programme for the evening and ensure all was as it should be. We were then offered complementary drinks and canapés which was an unexpected and thoughtful touch. The meal itself was magnificent both in choice, quality and presentation, thank you Chef. The venue, tableware and table decorations were the last word in creating a real Christmas ambiance. The whole experience is still being fondly remembered by all.
Some of our party stayed overnight and were given an unexpected room upgrade much to their delight, however they are still talking about the fantastic breakfast which they hope to try again "soon please".
If you are looking for a traditional Christmas with a modern twist look no further than The Angel Hotel. Many thanks to all staff especially Anna for an amazing evening.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting such a delightful review.

It is such a pleasure to read about your magical evening. Ana is absolutely lovely and I have no doubt she offered exceptional service.

I will make sure your kind comments are passed onto our team of chefs and of course Ana.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

March, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2013

The roast beef served here was delicious.This restaurant is the best for miles around and there are some very good places in the district.Dont know if the place is in the good food guide,but it should be,it keeps getting better each time I visit.I look forward to eating here again in 2014.Thankyou.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding Boxing Day Lunch.

I am pleased to read your roast beef was delicious and you feel The Oak Room is the best for miles around.

We look forward to welcoming you back in 2014.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abergavenny
Llansantffraed Court
Peterstone Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanhamlach
Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa
Llanwenarth Hotel & Riverside Restaurant

Been to The Angel? Share your experiences!