The Angel
Premier inn Abergavenny Hotel(Llanfoist)(Great Value!)
$69
$176
$69
$72
  • Restaurant
Best Western Pontypool Metro Hotel(Pontypool)(Great Value!)
$123
$106
$164
$130
All reviewsafternoon teahigh teacastle cottagesandwichescoaching innlovely hoteldeluxe roomwithout exceptioncar parkwine listpublic areashigh streetset menubar areaspecial occasionsmoked salmonsunday lunch
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I love the atmosphere of the Angel - it is a really pleasant place for a meal.

However, the service is very slow or we have been forgotten on several occasions.

Also I wish that they would would change the menu. I think it has had the same two pasta dishes for about ten years.

It's a real shame because i would visit more often if menu was updated on a more regular basis.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry you feel the service is slow and that the menu rarely changes.

We actually change the menu on a monthly basis; making sure to keep the most popular items and changing the least popular items - we also change items according to season. The pasta dishes have changed many times in the past ten years.

I am pleased you have brought this to my attention as this highlights the fact we need to make these changes more apparent to our customers, instead of assuming everyone notices.

We hope to welcome you back to The Angel again in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 19, 2013

It takes time, dedication and an eye for detail to manage and maintain an old town house hotel in such perfect condition, and the team at the Angel get this right to a tee.

Looked after by a well-trained, caring staff team my stay at the Angel could not have been better.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased that your recent visit to The Angel was enjoyable.

We certainly strive to provide quality service throughout all areas of the hotel and I am happy to hear that you found this to be true.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Angel in the future.

Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Friendly attentive staff. Welcoming relaxing bar. Good food, (scallops starter and superfood warm salad with grilled chicken).
Excellent choice of breakfast with relaxed service (could be quicker when you have to get to work!).
Upgrade to Queen room appreciated. Bathrooms fully refurbed to a high standard.

• Stayed: October 2013
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback.

I am sorry about your wait time for breakfast; I will address this with our service team. I am pleased you enjoyed the friendly attentive staff and your food in The Foxhunter Bar.

On behalf of us all here at The Angel, I very much hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon in the not too distant future.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Having now stayed a couple of times over the past 18 months, The Angel continues to impress with its quality, ambience, service and eagerness to improve the customer experience. Complete renovation to bedrooms continues and my large double on the first floor was comfortable and finished to a high standard.
There is now outside seating in the inner courtyard, making a pleasant area to take light refreshments when weather permits.
The Foxhunter Bar - open to non-residents - is lively and with a good choice of draught beers/lager/cider.
On this occasion, we took advantage of their offer of a short weekend break, which included the option of dining at the nearby Walnut Tree Inn (reviewed separately), then dining in-house on the second evening. There was a varied choice of well-presented and -cooked dishes in the Oak Room, which was pleasantly busy on the Saturday evening.
My only criticism would be breakfast on the Sunday was not quite up to the standard of the previous day, where the boiled eggs were a little more hard-boiled than my personal preference.
As usual, check-in and departure was hassle-free.

Room Tip: Subject to budget, consider paying a little extra for a superior room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Angel again during your recent visit to Abergavenny.

I am pleased to read we continue to impress you with our quality, ambiance, service and eagerness to improve the customer experience. The outside seating will go into storage shortly due to the winter months, however the outdoor furniture will return next spring.

I am disappointed your egg was harder boiled than your personal preference, however I will make sure to address this with our kitchen team.

We hope that you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to The Angel on future occasions.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We thought the staff were very friendly and helped us celebrate my husband's 60th birthday. The food was wonderful and the bottle of Champagne was a a lovely surprise. Tom Dixon on reception gets a special mention for being a very nice young man!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a bed that fits you - we are tall and really needed a king sized bed.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased that your recent visit to The Angel to celebrate your husband’s 60th birthday lived up to your expectations.

We certainly strive to provide impeccable service throughout all areas of the hotel and I am happy to read that you found this to be true.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Angel in the future.