“Way beyond expectations”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Abergavenny
London
“Way beyond expectations”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Originally thought the exterior photo on the web flattered to deceive. We expected a country hotel, not in a high street. We needn't have worried. The Angel turned out to be fantastic. We booked the Castle Cottage and thought we were the 1st to stay after refurb. So surprised to learn it was refurbed four years ago so immaculate was it.

Ross, front of house, had a 6 month old baby and offered to go home to get his own baby monitors for our 6month old grandson who was in the 2nd bedroom in the cottage. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. I travel extensively in my work staying in so called 5 star hotels, not a patch on The Angel.

The reception supervisor Clare was again fantastic, dealing with a complicated secrecy birthday conspiracy with the utmost secrecy so our surprise was totally fulfilled. Also when our daughter left an expensive cot blanket behind, this was posted to us a day later at no charge.

The evening meal was excellent as was the superb breakfast.

Overall a fantastic hotel, no hesitation in recommending.

If you are travelling around South Wales, make this hotel your base

Room Tip: The Castle Cottage was by the car park so check in - then unpack the car! In the kitchen is a coffe...
Dear Guest,

I am very pleased to note that your stay at The Angel lived up to your expectations. Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Angel Hotel in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Hebrew first
South Wales, uk
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Booked in here for afternoon tea with my daughter and grandmother some weeks ago. Staff were absolutely fantastic and couldnt do enough for us, even offered to take a photograph of us all together. All staff were very polite, helpful and curtious. Wonderful! Only draw back for me was I felt that for £18 the amount of food and selection was a little bit sparse.

Dear Guest,

I appreciate that you have taken the time to share your afternoon tea experience at The Angel; we greatly value hearing all our guest’s feedback. I am surprised to hear that you felt the amount of food and selection was a little sparse as many of our guests ask for boxes to take away the food they could not finish. Please be assured that I will share your comments with the rest of the team as we constantly strive to improve our guests’ experience.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Angel in the near future.

Wales
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Wife and myself called in here on a Friday evening. Restaurant was fully booked but we managed to secure a table in the courtyard. We decided to have the 3 course meal for £25. We both had smoked salmon to start, which was delicious. I had the beef skirt, medium and it was excellent. My wife had sauteed Hake fillet, which again was excellent. We both decided to have the Café Gourmand with three small desserts. This was a delight. We were also given olives before the meal arrived. Service was good and we were asked if the food was OK. We both thoroughly enjoyed the meal and recommend the Angel. We will use again definitely.

Dear Guest,

I am very pleased that your recent meal in the Courtyard of The Angel lived up to your expectations.

We certainly strive to provide impeccable food and service throughout all areas of the hotel and I am happy to hear that you found this to be true.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Angel in the future.

South Wales - United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We visited The Angel Hotel for afternoon and high tea to celebrate my husbands birthday and left feeling disappointed. The food was average, we have had far better but it was the service that we really felt was lacking. The menu of teas available was large, but we only managed to order 2 pots of tea each as it was so difficult to get a waiters attention. Our table was left strewn with used plates, cups and teapots. Twice we had to ask for them to be cleared.
As we were 4 people having tea it would have been nice if the cakes were doubled in style/taste not in number on the stand as it was a hard choice who would have what cakes. We have previously dined at the Celtic Manor and the quality of food, the selection available and the service off the waiting staff was of a far higher standard.
We will not return here which is a shame as it did put a bit of a dampner on my husband's birthday. Instead of nothing being too much trouble, we came away feeling even ordering a second cup of tea was too much trouble.

Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback after your recent afternoon tea at The Angel.

However I was concerned to hear of your experience and I am only too sorry to read that your expectations were not met.

I can assure you that your afternoon tea service was by no means representative of our usual high levels of service and I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

I hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back to The Angel in the very near future. In the meantime, if I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Yours sincerely

Llangorse, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

my husband and i went to the angel hotel yesterday for sunday roast. we have been before about 12 months ago and it was good,Firstly it was £17 for main course. we thought it was rather expensive but as long as dinner was good we didnt mind! service was good. However, when the dinner came it included 2 small pieces of meat, tablespoon size of green beans and carrotts, 2 small roast potatoes, and that was it!!!
We left feeling hungry and went to waitrose to buy food to make our own lunch which rather defeated the object of going out for lunch and having the day off cooking! I have never made a complaint to trip advisor before but felt totally ripped off!!

4 Thank sconnolly40
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback regarding your Sunday Lunch at The Angel. I was most concerned to learn of your disappointing experience during your lunch us and I would very much appreciate to further discuss with you the details of your feedback. I would be most grateful if would kindly please provide us with your contact details and a convenient time to get in touch with you. Please rest assured we are taking this matter extremely seriously as we always strive for service excellence. I do hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience.
Kind Regard,
charlotte.griffiths@angelabergavenny.com
Watlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is a well run old style, in the nicest sense, hotel. Rooms are well furnished in a fairly standard way. Judging by the folk turning up having booked afternoon tea this is a real high spot, if their breakfasts are anything to go by the teas will be excellent. Staff are charming and helpful. Only draw back is a tiny car park, we were lucky and squeezed in but there is a large public one just over the road.

Room Tip: Rooms at front can be noisy rooms at back have no view so take your pick
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay at The Angel. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your room, breakfast and our staff were charming/helpful. We hope to welcome you back to The Angel in the near future.

Kind regards,
oxfordshire
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We only had our lunch here but we could tell it was a lovely hotel. Pretty courtyard restaurant, lovely loos. Very nice staff. Quite ordinary food - not that fabulous. The seafood platters looked amazing and special and we rather wish we'd had that. The hotel had a very slightly impersonal feel too it despite looking lovely on the outside and being in such a great position in the centre of Abergavenny,

Room Tip: We just ate at the restaurant
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent meal in The Oak Room at The Angel. I am sorry you felt the food was ordinary and the hotel impersonal. I am pleased however you enjoyed the courtyard, loos and our staff. All guest feedback we receive is of utmost importance and I will share your comments with the team here. I do nevertheless hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Angel on another occasion in the not too distant future.
Kind regards,
Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abergavenny
Llansantffraed Court
Peterstone Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanhamlach
Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa
Llanwenarth Hotel & Riverside Restaurant

Been to The Angel? Share your experiences!