“A bit rude :-(” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Abergavenny
West Yorkshire, UK
“A bit rude :-(”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

After a couple of lovely visits to the Angel we were looking forward to going again on Friday. Disappointingly we were delayed by traffic and arrived shortly after they had stopped serving lunch.
We realise of course that this couldn't be helped by the staff, but the person who told us lunch was no longer being served was quite offhand and we were clearly really disappointed! When we've dined at the Angel the customer service has been excellent, but I think maintaining great customer service even when disappointing your customers is a greater skill, and one the Angel and its staff need to work on.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback in regards to your recent experience at The Angel.
Excellent customer service is of utmost importance to us and I am sorry you feel your recent visit did not demonstrate this. I hope this has not marred your impression of The Angel and we can welcome you back again in the near future.

Kind regards,
Charlotte Griffiths
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Somerset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We went to Abergavenny for a weekend and stopped the night at The Angel as it is in the centre of town. The hotel is on the main road with a small carpark at the rear. When we arrived we could only just squeeze the car in and we found when we were taking our cases in that it was so busy with people coming to use the hotel for their lunch. It has a lovely little court yard and it was full. The staff were all friendly and very polite. The decoration, with pictures and lovely ornaments and flower displays made it so in keeping with this old building. There were a couple of sitting rooms with comfy sofas and the bar also has some very comfy chairs and sofas. Our bedroom was a twin, but the beds were quite wide and so comfy. There was an incorporated bath/shower and I did have a problem with trying to keep the water from going on the floor. There wasn't an extractor fan in the bathroom and we couldn't open the window, so it was rather steamy. As the building was quite old, there was also no air conditioning, but they do supply a fan. The breakfast and dinner were lovely and the helpings were large. I really cant find much to fault this hotel. We went to Abergavenny as my husband was playing golf, but the area is beautiful. Try it.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the courtyard and it was a little noisy as it was a lovely warm evening. The fro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
oxford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Lovely place for a weekend away with very good food and beautiful courtyard setting. Try the grapefruit gin and tonic and the sharing platters. Afternoon tea should not be missed. The staff are extremely helpful and the rooms are comfortable with stylish decor and lots of original artwork.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Glinys W
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

I am over from Canada and would like to say that the food I had at the Angel on sunday night was the best that I have tasted so far in my 3 weeks in Great Britain.The Lamb dish that I ordered was excellent.would love to return some day as the town and location are very nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I'd set my heart on a little light lunch in the pretty courtyard at The Angel Hotel today but the weather had other plans, so my friend and I ate in the newly refurbished restaurant. We only wanted a light lunch, a good glass of wine and a catch-up natter but when I spotted the sharing platters on the lunch menu things took a more serious turn. It was the fishy one that I had caught my eye and thankfully my friend agreed to it being ordered. A huge basket/bowl arrived, filled with a wonderful selection of seafood with a basket of lovely breads. Generous quantity of mussels, smoked salmon, crab, deep fried squid, prawns on skewers, langoustine, crab toasts, crayfish, smoked mackerel, salsa and lemon mayo were all shared with enthusiasm - we didn't think we'd be able to finish it but we did. With the exception of the langoustine everything was first class, the langoustine, however, were very small and not really worth the effort.

A superb crepe, stuffed with apples and Calvados for me and ice cream for my friend completed our meal. With a drink each the bill was under £50. In short, a lovely lunch with great company, in a cared for, tastefully presented, well run hotel in the centre of Abergavenny town - who cares about the weather!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I Eat at the Angel fairly often (but won't again for a while). The tea is fab and it is an attractive relaxing space. Service can be slow. Have had excellent food and service here, but now two bad experiences in a few days. Had some dull and not well cooked/seasoned food, and part of my husband's meal over cooked. Both times it was spotted I was not happy and the item I did not want to eat was removed from bill, no problem. However the Waitress on the second occasion had an accident which embarrassed our party and this was not really dealt with well at all. It was okay in the end, but the people who had cold soup spilt on them should not have had to argue to get any recompense beyond dry cleaning. They were not asking for damages or anything. Probably a bad evening to go and inexperienced staff. Should this happen, though?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments regarding your recent dining experience at The Angel. I am however sorry to read that your visit did not meet your expectations and that you felt disappointed by the service and the way the food was prepared. I would very much like to learn more of your experience and would therefore ask that you kindly contact Mr Ross Townley, Director of Food and Beverage here at The Angel to discuss this in detail.

Kind regards,

Charlotte Griffiths
Hotel Manager
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I hadn't stayed for a couple of years but back again in the area. Very impressed by what the owners have achieved. A lot of money and some very fine taste has been lavished on this hotel. it is difficult to find fault. Double bed (not two singles pushed together!), rainfall shower, sofa, tea making facilities, fresh milk.... . Breakfast excellent, fresh fruit strawberries, artisan yoghurt.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abergavenny
Llansantffraed Court
#2 of 31 in Abergavenny
Kings Arms
Kings Arms
#3 of 31 in Abergavenny

Been to The Angel? Share your experiences!