“Expensive food and cold.”
Review of The Angel

The Angel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Abergavenny
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We pre booked at table at the hotel for a small function for 17. Our menu choices were emailed prior to the visit but still we had a long wait before the food was served. Some of us paid £10.25 for a steak sandwich and were very dissapointed. My steak was thin and cold as were the chips. They clearly do not have enough staff working here which I think is why the service was poor.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Charlotte G, Manager at The Angel, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

Dear Guest, I am very sorry for this disappointing experience. This is certainly not the usual Angel standard. I would highly appreciate if you can get in touch with me directly in order for me to try and rectify this experience and perhaps change your perspective about The Angel Hotel. Please find my details below:
Charlotte Griffiths,
Hotel Manager
charlotte.griffiths@angelabergavenny.com
+44(0)1873 857121

Reviewed November 9, 2011

Two course dinner with coffee, limited choice of food only a choice of three starter and main, but food was good and service was excellent. The sweet menu which was extra was very expensive.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BestNanny1
Reviewed November 9, 2011

My deluxe room was clean and comfortable, although somewhat pricy. The room looked out on a courtyard that was next to the bar. On weekend evenings, it became rather noisy. Closing the window would have helped, however, without air conditioning, the room would have become uncomfortable warm. Breakfast (extra charge) was very good. The dinner menu offered a nice selection and my choices were well-prepared and very tasty. Prices were about average and the dining room service was very attentive. Free parking is offered for guests, but the car park is almost always full in the afternoon and evening. Fortunately, there is a city car park adjacent that is inexpensive and almost always had spaces available.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2011

we had afternoon tea with champagne bought for us as a wedding present, on arrival we presented the voucher as instructed, then waited for a good 10 minutes to be shown to our table. after sat down we then waited a further 10 minutes for someone to acknowledge that we had been seated. We were poured a glass of champagne and my husband asked for the cork as a memento as this was a wedding gift but we never got to see it. We took my daughter and 3 year granddaughter with us as it was my birthday, we paid for her tea and was pleased that they could offer gluten free sandwiches and cakes/scone. The selection of sandwiches and cakes was if I'm really honest nothing special and one scone each was a bit mean, the mint tea was very nice, the latte coffee was luke warm, and the chilled strawberry & kiwi tea arrived hot, when we pointed out that we ordered it chilled, a glass with ice arrived!! The quality of service was awful, nobody took an interest/responsibility for our table once we had given our order and we were left waiting for our bill for 15 minutes After reading some very good reviews about the 'Afternoon Tea Experience' I was looking forward to sampling it for myself but it left me feeling very disappointed and a bit underwhelmed.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank kaz3105
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Had a 2 course meal. Absolutely faultless but not cheap. Good service, free bread, great atmosphere. Good choice of food. Very smart building

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I am a well travelled afternoon tea person and I think i have sampled some of the best and worst afternoon teas and i have to say that The Angel could well come under the "average" category. I had expected great things having read that it had won an award for serving the best afternoon tea outside London. I personally think "the best" title should start with the service you receive on arriving at the Hotel and we were not overly impressed. After having our names ticked off a list and passed on to a waitress who immediately forgot which table she was taking us too, my impression was starting to slide downhill quickly. We were taken through the most depressing dining room i have been in a long time, black walls maybe trendy in some circles but i didn't find it particularly attractive, to a table right at the bottom of the restaurant beside a door that the staff used to bring in everything. We were seated and given tea menus and informed that our order would be taken soon. After about a 15 minute wait, with staff passing us every few seconds, I finally asked if someone intended taking our order to be told that one person took the orders and she would attend to us. She did eventually!! We were then served our chosen tea or coffee, which was very nice to pick from the vast array to choose from.

The afternoon tea then arrived on two two tier cake stands. My first impression was that it looked very nice but as there were two men in the party, the amount of sandwiches was not really adequate and it would have been nice for twice the amount, also one small scone was a bit on the stingy side also. There were plenty of dainty little cakes to choose from but there are only so many cakes you can eat and the choice was not really that adventurous or outstanding.

All in all, again very average experience, I certainly would not class it by any means as the best, and most staff encountered could do with retraining in the meet & greet exercise

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank hamish1carlisle
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Our family stayed at The Angel for 2 nights in August 2011. 4 people stayed in the beautiful Cottage located at the rear of the hotel and my partner and I stayed in one of 'the Mews' rooms.
The Cottage has been thoughtful and tastefully designed with 2 large double bedrooms, both with fabulous en-suite. The beds were extremely comfortable and there was plenty of room to relax in the lounge with it's stunning fireplace. The attention to detail was impressive, even down to the selection of teas and stylish teapots awaiting your arrival.
The Mews room was large and located away from the main building. The bathroom was phenomenal with a double shower and bath. Our stay was relaxing, quiet and we had a great night's sleep in a truly indulgent bed.
The Angel organised a Champagne Afternoon Tea for 9 of us in The Brecon Suite of the hotel and the service was first class. The room was bright, light and beautiful. The table was perfectly decorated with wonderful china. The freshly made cakes, scones and sandwiches were a delight...I can see why they have won awards!
A full 'Welsh' breakfast was included, you could really taste the difference with local bacon, sausages etc served piping hot to your table. We also ate in the 'Foxhunter' bar, a lovely setting for a relaxed evening meal.
The staff were friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble.
I would recommend this hotel to families, couples and friends.

Room Tip: If you are staying as a group 'The Lodge' and 'The Cottage are fantastic options. As a c...