“So much for the Angel I was so disappointed as it was to be the highlight of my week.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Angel

The Angel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Abergavenny
Weymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

So much for the Angel Hotel. I was so disappointed as it was to be the highlight of my week. This is what I have emailed them:
I came to Monmouth on holiday on Sunday and all week have been looking forward to The Angel Hotel afternoon tea. However, as our bus back was 3.20 pm a 3 pm tea was impossible. My cousin and I came in for morning coffee. We ordered a bacon sandwich, scone, cream and jam and coffee and tea. We had quite a wait. When the order arrived we were told only then that there were no scones. As proprietors of a hotel you will understand that having the item to eat at the same time as the drink is an essential. Why didn't the staff serving morning coffee not informed that there were no scones? I said I would be willing to have toast as long as was soon. However, because I was well through my coffee and my cousin her sandwich I asked a waitress to pass on to the kitchen to cancel the toast. After a further 5 minutes the toast was delivered but my coffee finished and I told the girl it was no longer required. I was so disappointed in such poor service. I have frequented tearooms all over the UK esp since I retired 4 years ago and the Angel Hotel is the worst by far I am sorry to say. I shall of course be warning my friends. Yours in great disappointment. Pamela Gaull

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank 190817Angela

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2011

Only reviewing restaurant, but after the superb meal would have been fab to have retrieted to a room.

The service was impecable as soon as we arrived we were greated very curtiosly by receptionist who showed us to our table, restaurant very tastefully decorated very much the same as the "Hotel Mesynne" in Kortrijk, where we love to stay.

1st class service by all staff in restaurant, menu very varied to suit all tastes, I chose the Smoked Haddock Fish Cake followed by Ribeye Steak with Red Wine Sauce the both courses were exceptional, so compliments to the chef. Wine menu very good, very good selection to chose from.

A thoroughly excellent evening, can't wait to visit soon.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

My partner and I came to stay at the Angel for a relaxed evening to ourselves. We arrived and were greeted by a kind young lady who promptly directed us to our rooms. The room was disappointing and did not reflect any pictures that are on the hotel website.... As we came back downstairs into the reception area, there was a bald man who had some kind of managerial responsibility, being very rude to one of his young members of staff, not something guests should see. Regardless, we went into the bar, which was clearly bustling for a Friday evening and there was only one man behind the bar! For a Friday, we found this very shocking! Despite being under pressure from the amount of customers, the Welsh man was very cheerful and attentive between running out to get coffees, taking food orders, serving food and making drinks behind the bar. When I went to reception to alert them to the apparent problem in the bar, a man named Memit told me that he was also on the bar tonight but was caught up in some of his managerial duties. Well needless to say, I did not see him enter behind the bar, and the young lad struggled for a good two hours before someone else came to give a hand. In the end, my partner and i had a lovely evening in the bar as it had such a great atmosphere, which was all thanks to the Welsh man! Your efforts did not go unnoticed, and you truly made our evening away very special, we just hope that some of the 'managers' take a leaf out of your book!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2011

We took the 2 night + dinner package.Management gave us a compimentary bottle of champagne on arrival The front facing room was spacious, beds very comfortable and there was a powerful, copious shower + fluffy towels. Food -both at dinner and breakfast was delicious with generous helpings and really friendly service.
To sum up: the hotel was smart, comfortable, good value and not at all pretentious.
There is some lovely countryside and walks round about and Abergavenny itself is an excellent choice as a centre for this beautiful part of Wales.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2011

Since our last visit seven years ago, The Angel has undergone a bit of a face lift. The communal areas have been spruced up: dining room is fashionably dark (but what on earth are those four brown pillars there for?); the cosy lounge has sofas that 'eat' you with far too many cushions that get in the way and chairs designed for people under five feet tall; the ballroom is a lovely space. Still the same threadbare carpet on the stairs as 7 years ago. But at least now there is a lift. Rooms are being refurbished. A newly refurbished room can set you back between £130 and £160. Our standard room, at £96 a night for B&B, was not very nice. No view (unless you call a pink wall and a glimpse of sky when craning your head 'a view'); very tired bathroom; the bed's look could have been massively improved with the use of a valance; the furniture was dark wood; old-fashioned chintz curtains with pelmet; and the floorboards were very noisy. But the bed was comfy. Even when it gets refurbished, I wouldn't pay £160. Dinner for two is around £50 for one course plus one bottle of wine (which we found to be perfectly pleasant but overpriced). Husband's pork with sage mash was perfect; my salmon with tagliatelli and cream sauce was woefully underseasoned. Afternoon tea was extremely pleasant. Taken in the ballroom, it was the perfect way to spend Saturday afternoon. Just a word of warning: one between two is more than enough if you intend to eat again that evening. I had a salad with a potato gratin side order that night! (The salad was what you would expect but the potato gratin was fab...)The hotel tries to cram in as much business as it can, which is fine but breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea, pre-theatre supper and then dinner all puts a great deal of pressure on to the very hardworking staff, who we found to be extremely courteous and efficient. There were 12 of us for Sunday lunch. No space in the hotel car park although there is parking in the public car park over the road which is free on a Sunday and after 5pm weekdays. Everyone said how much they enjoyed the meal. The lamb was absolutely beautiful although it was a case of spot the mint in the mint sauce... The bill came to £330 which is a bit steep when the majority had only two courses. It was the 4 bottles of wine that pushed up the bill.

Room Tip: Must have: afternoon tea.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Siouxsie54
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

My daughter and I had dinner here for the first time last evening before a show at the Borough Theatre.

The food was very good. The service was excellent, efficient with a well paced flow. I can highly recommend the Creme Brulee from the dessert menu which was one of the best I've ever tasted.

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank Slapschtick
Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

Had been to the hotel during the week on business and decided to go back on Saturday for lunch. On my own so chose the dining room instead of the bar. Five minute wait for a table to be re-set, courteous and helpful staff, spotless cutlery and linen table napkins. Definite up-market feel, and more dining room than restaurant. Lunch was simple - olives to start, bottle of fizzy water and Caesar salad for main. Chose the smaller of the two salads and got all I needed. Staff were attentive but not bothersome, and the bill was a tenner. Great value, will go back for dinner in a couple of weeks.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abergavenny
Llansantffraed Court
#2 of 2 in Crickhowell
Abergavenny Hotel
Abergavenny Hotel
#2 of 30 in Abergavenny

Been to The Angel? Share your experiences!