“Wonderful location and great fun”
Review of Clytha Castle

Clytha Castle
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Abergavenny
Clytha Castle
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This was the fourth Landmark Trust my husband and I have stayed in and it compares very favourably with the others for its furniture and fittings. In fact I envied the large, well-appointed kitchen! The views from the grounds around the castle, over towards the Black Mountains, are superb and the first sight of the building itself is most impressive. Our three-year old granddaughter exclaimed, "It's a castle! I'm going to be a fairy princess!" Everything was ready in excellent order for us on our arrival.I was glad that we had the downstairs bedroom which has a good en suite - to be honest I wouldn't have fancied having to climb the spiral staircase too often. You can imagine yourself in your own small kingdom. Only two people passed by in the four days we were there. It's a good base for exploring the area and even Cardiff with the excellent St Fagans open air museum is within reasonable driving distance. Raglan Castle is about three miles away from Clytha. If you want a nice place for a meal we can recommend the Raglan Arms at Llandenny but the Logbook which each successive group of occupiers enjoy writing in will give you plenty of other suggestions. On our way home we detoured via a very attractive country route to see the ruins of Llanthony Priory and there's a very good little café bar adjacent which serves unpretentious but excellent light meals.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank elizabethallison

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed at Clytha at the beginning of January and despite the cold weather the castle was warmer than we thought it would be.

This is a unique place to stay; there are not many places where you can say you have had your own private castle. The stone flag floors are functional for your muddy boots and the living room with the open fire is cosy in the evening with friends. The kitchen is well stocked with cutlery, pots and pans etc, on our stay we did a large baked ham, roast potatoes and veg etc for 5 of us with no problems.

A truly unique stay, and loved every minute of it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank John G
Reviewed December 4, 2012

A truly unique place to stay. a gorgeous building in a unique location.
We were there in January, and being Australian expected to feel the cold, but found that it was reasonably warm despite snow flurries.
Would recommend this and other Landmark Trust properties to families looking for something different.
My husband and I claimed the turret room, while our three daughters were in the other rooms. Our fifteen year old sleeping alone did not end up in her sisters' room as she did in another landmark. (No pesky ghosts here!)
Clytha is within easy driving distance of Cardiff and Hay on Wye.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank KimberleyInOz
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This isn't a negative review, I agree in sentiment to much of that which the three reviewers below have posted. Clytha is unique and surrounded by stunning scenery, I just feel it was let down somewhat by the finer points.

My reasoning behind this is that firstly, it's extremely expensive. We paid just short of £1,000 for an off-peak weekend in November. For this amount of money I would expect, in a period property like this and all of this could have been done without any damage or alteration to the beautiful building:

1. The kitchen was basic. It should have had an aga, state of the art fridge etc instead of a basic electric single oven. It did have lots of plates though etc.
2. The heating was pathetic for a building such as this. Yes it's an old building, yes it's stone, yes it's historic but if it's being sold as a unique escape for the weekend then maybe a caveat should be added to the brochure that if you visit during the colder months, expect to go to sleep completely dressed as our turret room was freezing. A fantastic retro fitting heating system could be installed that would blend in seamlessly.
3. The furniture throughout was cheap reproduction. It needed big leather sofas in the living room and a lovely leather armchair(s), all again would fit perfectly with the property instead of the DFS fabric sofa that is there. (we know, we found the tag).
4. Paint finish was OK but tired, bathrooms basic and should have had roll-top baths, huge sinks, candles, brass fittings etc.

I appreciate I may be frowned upon for this opinion but before everyone jumps on the bandwagon and shouts that it's a period property and 'you expect these sort of things' then I would like to highlight the cheap electric plastic shower that's in the downstairs bathroom, the B&Q glass shower screen, the Delonghi electric cooker and so forth.

I had a lovely weekend with some brilliant friends, it was great fun but besides the beautiful scenery and happy memories i took with me I also left slightly deaf from sound of being ripped off.

Apparently, all the proceeds from guests pay for the upkeep. Clytha is pretty much booked solid and by our rough calculations that's an income of £140,000+ per annum. Hmmm, visit and you'll see my point.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank BraveSirRobin
Reviewed August 17, 2010

This was the first time we rented through the Landmark Trust, but would have trouble going back to the UK and staying in anything but a Landmark property. This was probably the most incredible place we have ever stayed in, and the awe in the children's faces when they caught the first glimpse of Clytha (and the cows) and then exploring the castle, will remain one of our best travel memories. I encourage anyone who is traveling the UK to try these vacation rentals as they are much more than just a rental, they are part of history. We loved this property and also stayed in Culloden tower in Richmond which we also loved.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Sylvikins
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 11, 2005

In March we made our second visit to Clytha. It was as wonderful as the first.

The weather was chilly, but we had plenty of firewood and the downstairs bedroom was warm enough.

I've never stayed anywhere with this much atmosphere, the countryside is beautiful and the castle itself is wonderfull.. Rather than drive around the countryside we stayed in a couple of days and just soaked up the atmosphere.

Clytha is probably our favorite Landmark Trust property. Hope we can go again.

• Stayed: March 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 4, 2002

We have just enjoyed a memorable New Year at Clytha. The six of us (three couples), stayed at the castle over four nights.
It is self catering, with all basic facilities, is very clean and well kept. Don't expect TV and microwave, it's not that sort of place.
The castle was built in 1790, and is as near to a real fortress as one could expect.
It is built on top of a hill, with excellent views of the Welsh countryside. If any of your party has a telescope, there are also views to be had of Saturn and Jupiter with all round vision from the turret.
The local pub is ten minutes walk away with good food and company.
During our stay temperatures dropped to -8c, and in these conditions we recommend fan heaters plenty of logs for the open fire and be one of the first to shower, since the water takes a while to get hot.
Bring your own entertainment! We had a Medieval fancy dress, a talent night, and even tried a January barbeque- great fun.
A brilliant time was had by all, and try not to believe the ghost stories!!

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member