“Gorgeous Grub in Country Pub”

Warwicks Country Pub
Ranked #42 of 105 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Cuisines: British, Cafe, Brew Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: An idyllic Country Pub, serving a range of traditional meals and real ales.
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We only live a couple of miles away so I'm not sure why we haven't visited Warwicks' before. Anyway, with a friend visiting and all of us tired, eating out was our best option so I rang and booked a table and along we drove.
The evening was damp and cool but as we walked through the pub's charming flowery garden we all wished we could have eaten outside - it must be pure bliss! Inside, it was warm and cosy with a welcoming open fire, and lots of musical memorabilia going back a long way. The welcome was warm too, and we were shown to a lovely corner table, nicely near the Specials board.
My partner and I started with fish soup. We weren't expecting it to be the best fish soup either of us had ever eaten - but it was! Wow! Extraordinarily full of deep flavour and a real triumph, quite a revelation. I hope the chef feels very proud of this dish. Next came a whole sea bass for my partner, which he loved, cooked to perfection, served with excellent saute potatoes, and our guest loved her vegetable tart and salad, whilst I tucked into delectable belly pork, again cooked to perfection, with a wonderful gravy. I would have prefered a green vegetable to the roast vegetables I had, the only ones offered, but that's my only tiny gripe about the whole meal. Puds were equally wonderful and my summer pudding was exactly as summer pudding should be - delicious! Prices were very reasonable, especially for the quality of our meals. Owners and staff were all friendly and welcoming, and we plan to return soon and frequently.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

It was time. We had been driving for a few hours, visiting the countryside and seeing the sites, but we couldn't hear ourselves think due to the stomachs rumbling in the car.

The hunt began - and as we came around a corner, a pub with a great look loomed. We pulled in, opened the door and immediately felt welcomed by the owner.

Small and cozy with classic decor - exactly what you want for a pub lunch.

Menu had the classics - however when the food was delivered, it was better than typical. From fish and chips to 'pies'. The 4 of us had a wonderful time, a really nice pub lunch, a great pint.

Just what the doctor ordered. Worth the trip if you are in the area.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

We havent been to this establishment for over 30 years when it was the Halfway House. A very varied menu but excellent food with exceptional service.
Hardly a criticism but as we visited on Friday July 6th for lunch, the weather was very damp and miserable, there were very few customers meaning the atmosphere was lacking.

1  Thank grapow
Reviewed June 15, 2012

While visiting Wales on holiday, we visited this pub several times with friends who live locally. The owners Sue and Allen, are lovely and warm. They made us feel very welcome as did the regulars who frequent the pub. The atmosphere was exactly what I envision when I think of an English pub. The pub is very clean and has an eclectic mix of decor that gives a welcoming feel. The drinks are fabulous! I didn't sample the food, but it looked wonderful. I would definitely recommend a visit to this pub!

1  Thank ArizonaTamAndMike
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Had an evening meal and it was lovely, large portions and well presented. The owners were lovely, very friendly and welcoming. Would definitely go back and would be more than happy to recommend.