“Mmmmm...but not in a great way.”

La Brasseria Italiana
Ranked #13 of 105 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I dined here (for the first time) straight after the Christmas break (on the 27th) with a small group of friends so I'm cutting La Brasseria Italiana some slack to make allowance for this - generally my experience was good but there are a few issues that they may want to improve on for 2014. Firstly I like, no LOVE Italian cuisine and La Brasseria looks the part, the young staff are good, the management are good, the food is good, the ambiance is good, the price is not too bad - but, no BUT its just a little lacklustre, maybe even bordering on average - but as I say I didnt expect much on the day after Boxing Day, and really I'm just glad they were open (unlike some of their local competitors) but they simply gave me no reason to return any time soon. Average is the one word to sum it up. I think. And who eats out for average - we want special. They all seemed to lack spark, flair, passion and that personal touch that makes such a difference.

The issues were that some classic dishes were off the menu - mussels and lasagne. An Italian with no lasagne! The young waitress was disinterested in us as customers - shy maybe, reserved? Wary of middle aged men? I cant say I blame her. But the people can rescue average and compel you to return. I got the impression that they didnt much care whether we returned or not. Passing ships. The other issue - one of my fellow diners said that he may have had a slightly gyppie tummy the next day....

Any stand out good points? No, cant recall any. Certainly not bad - just no better than good.
They need to really welcome diners, imprint their personalities and names on diners, serve with more flair / warmth and 'contract' diners - actually invite us back! Italy is synominous (spelling?) with passion/flair/warmth/love of friends family and food right?

The jury is out.

If I do come again - and I hope I do - I may change my opinion.

There are newer reviews for La Brasseria Italiana

Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

They have a delicious lunch special for 10 pd. the mussels come delicious and in a very attractive place setting. The lasagna is like my grandma made, if a bit prettier, as are the meatballs. They always have Italian music going and a nice selection of imported wines and beer. Overall a wonderful place to dine. Esp in the summer when the outside seating is available. Our Portuguese waitress was a treat. She was so enthusiastic about the food and life. It was a pleasure to eat there

Reviewed December 24, 2013

I visited here with a group of friends. Food as always excellent and great service, very good value for money.

I have taken my family here in the past. I have a son and daughter aged 10 & 8 and they enjoyed the variety of food.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Wonderful meal - set 2 course dinner for just £13 odd quid!! Starter was excellent and the main a lamb pasta was fantastic - also great wines at reasonable prices.
Meal for 4 including more wine than was good of us (how can that be?) for £100 - I loved this place - so genuine and excellent unpretentious quality.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

4 of us ate here on a Friday Evening and we all thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Excellent value for money, good portions and extremely tasty. The staff were very polite and friendly and there was a great atmosphere. It was a very authentic Italian experience and will definitely be recommending to friends and family, and going back myself :)