Tripadvisor

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 21, 2020

I am once again massively disappointed with our dinner at the Hardwick - the last time I was there about 8 months ago I had a poor meal and I swore I would not go back, however we did go as friends from South Wales wanted to meet and we thought this would be the place.

Well here are again - disappointed and this time will absolutely not be going back

You can't fault the ambience - its a nice location and nicely refurbished inside and the staff were helpful, but sadly its tops there.

2 of us ordered the cauliflower soup which is a firm favourite of mine, it was cold and had to go back to be reheated - once we got it back it was thick and lumpy and not very pleasant. Then myself and my husband ordered the Fish, well for me it was inedible - it was dry and overcooked, sitting on a bed of large pearls of some kind of pasta with no sauce handsome poorly cooked veg. I could not finish mine. The saving grace for me was the Ice Cream which was lovely but my husbands cheese was again substandard.

We had one bottle of wine and a round of drinks before dinner and the bill was more than the 1 Michelin star we went to recently

Poor poor poor - sorry guys but I have to say it how it is as its not the first time I have left the Hardwick feeling let down

1  Thank 499jaynel
Write a reviewReviews (1,815)

Reviewed January 15, 2020 via mobile

Amazing Service and Food. Four of us had an evening meal to celebrate my wife’s birthday. The service throughout was excellent, the ambiance is amazing and the food was tremendous. This was clever cooking. Thank you for making this a special evening. We will be revisiting.

Reviewed January 14, 2020

As a vegetarian I am constantly disappointed by restaurant meals, finding them uninspiring, bland, lacking nutrition and not substantive. However, this is not the case at The Hardwick. We have visited many times over the past few years and I have never ever been disappointed! The food yesterday evening was again interesting, thoughtfully prepared and presented, delicious and filling! I felt the care and attention to the preparation and cooking of my meal equaled the rest of the party, which is rarely my experience! Fabulous food and a lovely evening, thank you

1  Thank janjfx
Reviewed January 11, 2020

Mussels and chorizo with saffron potatoes, croutons and sherry & chorizo mayo. What? Who on earth sat down and thought that might be a good idea? But it was exquisite, and that was just the starter. My wife and I stayed overnight following a visit to the nearby White Castle Vineyard (also brilliant) and were blown away by how they have sorted the eternal quandary of high quality food and accomodation versus sensible pricing that doesn't leave you thinking 'ouch'. Friendly staff, too. And room with a bed so comfy I had to wrench myself out of in the morning. As my friend Arnie says: 'I'll be back'.

2  Thank HarleymanG
Reviewed December 30, 2019 via mobile

A special treat for a wedding anniversary in the heart of Wales. Accommodation warm, welcoming and cosy. Restaurant good, staff attentive and accommodating. No dress code, all relaxed and homely. Felt well looked after, small difficulties addressed and dealt with by caring staff. A first class place to stay and eat. A great base for walking.

Date of visit: December 2019