“Beef Sharing Platter - must be tried”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Hardwick

The Hardwick
Ranked #6 of 99 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Cuisines: European, British, Welsh
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
“Beef Sharing Platter - must be tried”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Loved the variety of beef on the sharing platter - all beautifully cooked and beautifully presented. Chips and vegetables also very good. Busy place, make sure you book in advance.

Visited July 2013

• Turkish first
Aberdare
“Very Diasappointed!! Where is the quality????”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I treated some friends to a meal recently and without wine it cost me nearly £300.

The meal we received was at best mediocre and at worst cafe quality.

I had a fish starter which turned out to be an extra long breaded fish finger. It was well over cooked, dry and solid as a rock. That cost me £8. I would have preferred Birds Eye.

The meat sharing platter was a joke. There was enough food for 1 person but not for 2. The meat was gristley, and very ordinary - certainly not worth the £54 I was charged!

My wife had a steak which was tasteless, gristley and very greasy. At best greasy cafe quality.

Similar issues were experienced by our friends.

I had emailed the restaurant directly with my complaint but they have not given me the courtesy of a reply.

If you are wanting quality food then this is not the place to be. You could get a better meal for half the price within 2 - 3 mile radius.

No doubt, if they bother to reply to this review, they will rubbish my opinion but believe me, save your money and go elsewhere.

2 Thank Andrew H
Somerset
“Ugly main and starter was missing ingredients!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The menu looks great!
But when my starter of linguine with crab was missing the anchovies and chilli described in the menu £14 feels like a right rip-off.
My main of the amusingly titled rabbit, rabbit, rabbit was very ugly and poorly executed. The burger aspect was nearly burnt on one side and practically untouched on the other, the loin overcooked and served with very old sautéed potatoes (burnt on one side, nothing on the other!), the faggot was tasty and the only real winner on the plate was the mini pie.
Again, at the price, I'm not a happy bunny!
Must try MUCH harder.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank MathewWatson
Rochester, Kent
“Beautiful lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Enjoyed a truly lovely lunch on Saturday at The Hardwick. The food was extremely tasty and beautifully presented.

Ebbw Vale, United Kingdom
“A definite for my Birthday Treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Yesterday was my birthday, the years don't matter but they are mounting up ! With all my children and grandc hildren away on holiday it was left to my mother to save the day.
She decided to visit, spur of the moment thing. I met her at Abergavenny Rail Station and set off for Raglan Garden Centre. Mum doesn't walk too far so car parking is important.
I decided to take the Old Raglan Road and of course she 'd never been that way.
Being diabetic( I am also) she needs to eat at regular intervals.
I'd planned on eating at Raglan, but the occasion overwhelmed me and reaching the Hardwicke I thought OK perhaps the'll have a table for two ?

Of course they did. It was a triumph !

The menu was excellent, the service superb, the ambience perfect.
We thoroughly enjoyed the experience.
I've been to the Hardwicke several, no many times over the years that Steven Terry and his wife Jo have been there.
All I can say is that each time the experience has been better.
I heartily recommend the Hardwicke.