“Something different”
Review of 1861 Restaurant

1861 Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
1861 Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 105 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Restaurant 1861 is a small rural family run restaurant in monmouthshire using locally sourced produce and home grown fruit and vegetables. The restaurant is a friendly professional relaxed fine dining venue ideal for all occasions.
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

We had lunch here, using a Travelzoo deal. Great service and wonderfully different food. The dessert sharing plate was yummy. Elderflower in batter is not something you will be offered in many places. Yes it is on the expensive side, but we thought it was worth it.

1  Thank Yvonne2706

Reviewed June 18, 2014

I'm going to be at odds with most of the previous reviewers. We'd eaten at all the other major restaurants in the Abergavenny area and had been meaning to try 1861 for a while when my wife spotted a voucher on 'Amazon Local' giving you two main courses for the price of one and a free aperitif so we tried it a couple of weeks ago. For starters she had scallops - three of the smallest scallops we'd ever seen and I had the pigs feet with lentils - interesting idea but bland. Main courses were trio of pork for me which I'd rate as ok but nothing exceptional and my wife now can't remember but it was very small and didn't leave an impression. Still hungry we went for the dessert sampler which was out of this world, an amazing course. The undiscounted prices are equivalent to the Walnut Tree and I know which one I'll return to in the future.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Another visit to this wonderful restaurant. We've been here several times now and are always blown away by this fabulous place This time we went with two friends who are accustomed to fine dining all over the world. They, like us, were not disappointed with this lovely restaurant. As usual, the food was superb...the elderflower soufflé was out of this world! What the chef, Simon does with flavours is truly inspired. The service is discreetly attentive and the ambience relaxed and friendly. It's not cheap, but when the food is this good, it's worth it. In an area known for its gastro pubs and fine dining, 1861 stands head and shoulders above the rest. Thank you once again Simon and Kate for making this evening wonderful for us. We'll definitely be back.

2  Thank Eleri S
Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

We went here to celebrate my husbands birthday.
The meal we had was superb. Cauliflower cheese soup - brilliant. Duck terrine - beautiful. Lamb shank and fish mains yum. But the desserts...... Trio of chocolate best dessert ever states daughter.
Creme Brûlée best ever -husband. And the elderflower fritters........:)
Maybe some music would have added to the ambience. But great anyway. Thank you.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

One of the best meals I have had for a long time. Lovely staff. The experience was wonderful. Nice touches