“Fabulous lunch from the tasting menu!”
Review of 1861 Restaurant

1861 Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
1861 Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 104 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Restaurant 1861 is a small rural family run restaurant in monmouthshire using locally sourced produce and home grown fruit and vegetables. The restaurant is a friendly professional relaxed fine dining venue ideal for all occasions.
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Wonderful lunch - great food, using local ingredients, with friendly and attentive service.
We hope to visit again soon!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We thought that we would give this restaurant a try as the trip advisor ratings are very good, and we weren't disappointed. We went for the tasting menu, 7 varied fine dining courses, everyone of them a delight. We visited with another couple, all of us agreed that the meal was superb, and it became such a talking point that the chef kindly came to our table at the end of the evening to share our thoughts. We also thought that the ambience was great, in summary, I could not fault the whole experience, and this establishment has my recommendation.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

I booked the 1861 for lunch a few weeks ago due to purchasing a groupon voucher. We had'nt been to the 1861 for a while so it was a good excuse to go. We could choose from the al-carte menu I had the scallops and the lamb both beautifully cooked wonderful, my partner had the nettle risotto and pork belly both excellent he did say it was the best pork he had ever tasted. The desert was mouth watering blackberry soufflé with white chocolate ice cream yum. The service was excellent and relaxed, every course served was explained well done to the young waitress. We will return for another treat .

1  Thank mistySouthWalesUk
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was a groupon voucher bought for us as a present. It was a deal which cost £19 for £50 worth of food. When we ordered our food we asked for a jug of tap water to go with our meal as we were both driving, the owners wife immediately pulled a face as she obviously expected us to order expensive drinks. We waited in the bar/seating area. The owners wife came to apologise for the delay but " as we had not ordered starters we would obviously have to wait longer for our food" this comment made us feel most uncomfortable, along with her expression when we had not ordered drinks on arrival apart from a soda water (at a cost of £2) and on ordering tap water. W hen we were shown to our table this "fine dining" restaurant had provided us with a jug of tap water as requested however it did not include ice and lemon, as provided in most lower class establishments. We were given an appetiser of rillettes of pork with chutney and melba toast this was tiny and tasteless apart from the half teaspoon of chutney. My husband ordered the Pork belly which was a tiny portion and the fat not even crispy, served on a little bed of spinach, mashed potato and three baby courgettes and a few beans. I ordered the lamb which again was a small portion served once again on a tiny bed of spinach, mashed potato along with about a dozen broad beans and a halved cooked beetroot. These two meals equated to £43 !!!!!!! We did not order a pudding as this would have put us over our £50 limit and felt that paying an extra £10 to enable us to each have a dessert was not worth it, so left it at that. It was an ok meal but with a pretentious price tag, or is this how the other half live??? Not everyone has bottomless pockets.There are far nicer restaurants out in the sticks which serve much better and cheaper food. We would not return or recommend even with a lottery win or a groupon voucher.

1  Thank Nicole S
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

I love the beautiful food which if it isn't grown at the restaurant is sourced locally. I simply can't say enough good things about the service and I love the decor, the ambience and the petit fours. A wonderful place which I hope to return to soon! (That is a hint to my lovely boyfriend...)