“If you're a food lover, go here this weekend!”
Review of 1861 Restaurant

1861 Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
1861 Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 105 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Restaurant 1861 is a small rural family run restaurant in monmouthshire using locally sourced produce and home grown fruit and vegetables. The restaurant is a friendly professional relaxed fine dining venue ideal for all occasions.
Reviewed July 16, 2013

1861 occupies a lovely setting standing alone in a woodland. It has a cosy bar area with a good selection of gins and malt whiskies; the dining room is comfortable and restrained with well spaced tables. Staff are friendly but eminently professional. The food is superb; fresh local ingredients in the main, imaginatively combined to create keynote dishes, some variations on standards, a few quirky and from another era. I refer to delicious stuffed pig's trotter. All the dishes are lovely, which makes the only downside to this restaurant the fact that you can't try everything. I'll not go on and on. Can I just say this hidden gem really is exceptional.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Visited 1861 for our anniversary. Being a vegetarian, I was concerned that my usual experience of having no choice or being offered 'we can make the starter bigger' would happen again. I needn't have worried. The choices for vegetarians(I'd told Simon, the chef that I was a veggie when I booked) couldn't be faulted. The food was superb, the atmosphere warm and inviting and the service discreet and attentive. This is, by far, the best restaurant in an area known for its foodie experiences. It's not cheap, but it's worth it for a special occasion. I'm trying to think up another occasion that I can whip up so we can go again!

1  Thank Eleri S
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Like many others, we visited with a voucher, though we have been meaning to try this restaurant for a while. Our experience was excellent from the start, a warm welcome and chance to look at the menu whilst sitting comfortably in the lounge with a glass of wine, nuts and olives.
The restaurant is simply furnished and compliments the age and country character of the building.
On taking our seats, we were offered an amuse bouche of tomato and chive jelly which was superb - a few spoonfuls of intense, clean flavour. A tiny loaf of warm crusty bread was placed on the table with fresh soft butter - such a nice touch. Starters of nettle risotto and tempura asparagus were excellent, and the 'presentation of beef' main course - two cuts of beef and a 'boudin' flavoured with horseradish, with vegetables - superb! There was a fruit flavour taster which I found bland, but my husband enjoyed, before delicious raspberry creme brulee puddings. Good wine list with plenty of choice of half bottles for the non driver. My husband enjoyed the petit-fours all to himself and said they were delicious.
Even with a voucher it was not a cheap or average cost meal, but I would certainly go again for a special occasion. The service was excellent, personal and friendly. The atmosphere was intimate, it's a small place, and the food was really, really good and locally sourced. Wish my budget stretched to this kind of thing more often.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We have visited 1861 twice within the last month, once for the tasting menu and this weekend for the a la carte menu.
I can't honestly see why someone would complain about this restaurant.
As soon as you walk in, the atmosphere is so warm and inviting. We have visited some other fine dining restaurants and found them very corporate and cold, but not here. You are made to feel special from the beginning to the end.
The wife and husband team work well, and we weren't kept waiting for anything.
All the food was delicious. My husband's main meal was the best plate of food he has ever tasted, which is a real compliment coming from him.
The other thing which makes this place so special is the added extras, 2 mini tasters inbetween courses and I have to have tea at the end of the meal for the most cute and delicious petite fours. The cheese board is a real experience with a specialised cracker and chutney for each cheese. The knowledge of the waiter and Kate regarding the food and wine is exceptional and you feel as if you could ask them anything.
Of course, the price is a bit more than a normal pub or harvester meal, but this is a special treat place with an amazing experience and is worth every penny.

1  Thank annalilbab
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We went using a groupon and the food was very good, service was good, the restaurant is a little off the beaten track but it was a lovely drive there would we go back yes!