“Plough mans lunch”
Review of Kings Arms

Kings Arms
Ranked #3 of 30 Abergavenny B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 26, 2013

£25 for one boiled egg,two sprigs of lettuce,a quarter of a mini pork pie and to top that one mini pickled onion with enough cheese to hide under your mini gherkin all served with a thimble of cider .advice eat before you go

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Phillip K
KingsArmsAber1, General Manager at Kings Arms, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm sorry you felt your ploughmans wasn't adequate enough.
We offer both a small and large ploughmans to suit all appetites and at £6.95 and £9.95, they are priced competitively.
I do hope we have the opportunity to see you again for you to sample our wide range of dishes, that many have said are hearty portions.

All the best

Sacha Child

There are newer reviews for Kings Arms

Reviewed August 25, 2013

My Fiance and I stayed in room 6 after a wedding reception we attended. The room was clean and the decor was beautifully tasteful. We both had a brilliant nights sleep in the comfortable bed and the amenities in the room made the stay most pleasant. Breakfast was served between 8-10, the choice was excellent and the high quality ingredients made sure it was delicious. The staff were nothing but friendly and accommodating. There was nothing we needed as extra, but I have no doubt the staff would have been gone out of their way to help. We shall most definitely be staying here again on our next trip to Abergavenny.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write your great review. I'm so please you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

All the best

Sacha & Jon Child

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed in a charming garret room #11. Effort had been expended to make it comfortable, but we kept bumping our heads on the ceiling (I'm 5' 2"). There was a bathtub with handheld shower head in the actual room, but no shower. The staff were extremely kind, but breakfast was delayed. On a Friday evening, a popular musician meant that we had to walk through a crowded smoky pub to get to our room; we worried about getting down two flights of ancient stairs if there were a fire. It was clean. Perhaps another room on a weeknight would ameliorate some of the concerns expressed here...

Room Tip: Ask to be on the second floor, but removed from the pub noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank NewEnglandinGeorgia
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed here for one night recently on route to Wales.We were warmly welcomed and shown to our room on the second floor.I was rather taken aback by the stairs to the second floor.They are steep and narrow.Not suitable for the infirm.However if you are looking for oldieworldie this hotel has it in spades but at the same time has been very nicely renovated.I liked it.We did not eat in the restaurant but enjoyed drinks in the bar.The music was great and there was a good atmosphere.
Our breakfast was excellent.I especially enjoyed the salty Welsh farmhouse butter and the very tasty sausages.

Room Tip: Probaly best to avoid the top floor;the ceilings are very low.
2  Thank amandadavies43
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Not spectacular but the staff make every effort. We were booked in on a Saturday night and were warned there was a function, but we didn't hear too much. Parking is in a public car park across the road, but its free overnight (after 5pm) and the room was large and well furnished. Breakfast was great, its the staff that make this place work.

2  Thank Brattonhouse
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I was given the usual greeting of being looked up and down by the managers wife, being big i should get used to it!!!.
The room was adequate and had everything I would expect. the floor could have done with a mop.
We had booked a lunch for five the next day as i had told sasha it was for my good friends birthday as she had alzheimers. The morning of the lunch I was asked by sasha how bad my friend will be. I was too shocked to answer.!!!! However the lunch went very well the food was good and we all enjoyed it. they had done what I asked and provided a cake with candles on,which went down really well with my friends.This made a birthday she will remember.
Both Jon and his wife sasha look after the pub quite well but on saturday it turns into a rowdy druken place with people vomitting across the road outside where they have seats, throwing glasses. and trying to get in whenthe pub was closed. How disgusting!!!!.
Also dont expect any thought of being entertained by a tv in your room as they dont work!!!!
Abergavenny is a charming town but not on a saturday night as I had to runthe gauntlet of drunken women verbally abusing me as I went up to our room they were getting more and more drunk in th small atrium.!!!
No we wont be going there again!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ValerieBull
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

What a terrific place. Very welcoming, great staff, stayed here on a group visit for a few days, and they made us feel particularly welcome. Central location, adjacent car park, very comfortable rooms and nice food.

Particular mentions for staff members Charlotte, Justin, Maddy and Sasha who looked after us very well.

Definitely recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank boombangabang
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abergavenny
The Angel
The Kings Head Hotel
The Kings Head Hotel
#13 of 30 in Abergavenny
Llanwenarth Hotel & Riverside Restaurant

Been to Kings Arms? Share your experiences!