“Hospitality Out of this WORLD!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Black Lion Guest House
Black Lion Guest House
Ranked #23 of 31 Abergavenny B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Hospitality Out of this WORLD!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

The Black Lion Guest House is run by the kindest people ever, Mike and Hazel. Their rooms are very clean and homey which is really nice after the light summer rain in Wales. Our room was really bright and had a brand new super clean and spacious bathroom. The breakfast in the mornings was delicious. They made fabulous eggs and toast and mushrooms! We went for the Green Man music festival and Hazel's husband, Mike, was super nice and drove us to and from the Festival which was a couple miles out of town. He was great and even took us the long way around to show us more of the valley and where their new inn is going to be! Hazel was the best and even lent us wellies for Green Man. It was super muddy out at the festival but completely awesome! Everyone at the Black Lion was very kind and willing to do whatever to make us comfortable and to make our trip easy and relaxing. This is a great place to stay, and I would definitely go again. Mike even drove us out to the train on the last day and wondered why we hadn't called him to pick us upon our arrival in Abergavenny as well!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

At the end of June, I travelled a long way from Costa Rica in Central America to Wales to take an education course. I was lucky enough to find a home away from home in Abergavenny. The Black Lion Guest House is a small but huge hearted place where guests will find a warm welcome from both Hazel and Mike who would do everything possible to make your stay pleasant and enjoyable. Hazel’s hands have the power of transforming a simple sandwich into a delicious meal and while you are eating it, she will entertain you with the most amazing stories. The room and bathroom were always extremely clean and my bed was so soft and comfortable that I never missed my own bed at home.
The course I was taking was very intense and exhausting but I completed it successfully thanks to Hazel’s and Mike’s support. When I left, three weeks later, I felt as part of the family. Staying at the Black Lion Guest House was an incredible experience I will recommend to anyone who would like to visit a peaceful and cute countryside town and to experience the outstanding Welch hospitality.
Thanks Hazel and Mike! I am sure I will be back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Düsseldorf
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

Arriving on the 10th of March 2010 I felt homely and cosy arriving at the Black Lion Guest House. Hazel and Mike were wonderful and very nice in welcoming me. Through all my little problems that I was fighting with, they gave me their best support and help You like to have especially when you are on your own or travelling abroad.
Beside the wonderful room, which was really warm, cosy, luxurious and clean, I felt welcomed like a family member although I was a foreigner. In the end we became good friends and had a very good time the week beeing together. I am looking forward to seeing Hazel and Mike soon in September for the wonderful Food Festival in Abergavenny which is quite famous all over the country.
The breakfast I got at Hazel and Mike was really rich and wonderful and also the taste of Welsh food I was served is amazing and wonderful, Hazel should go for a competition for cooking, because of her abililties. This little Guest House I would recommend all over the word because of it's friendliness, warmth, humour and joy which is around and in the house. I am really grateful in having stayed with wonderful human beings who are the friendliest and most helpful persons I ever met all over the world. Thank you so much for everything. Petra from Düsseldorf, Germany

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank abergaven
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

I arrived at 11:00 pm, having broken down on the A449. Despite the late arrival, I was warmly welcomed and had a good nights sleep. A hearty breakfast the next morning and I was ready for the repair bill on my car :)

The decor is high quality and the rooms very comfortable. I didn't even have to worry about not having a charger for my iPhone as there was a dock in the room.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

This guest house is absolutely fantastic and surpassed all my expectations for service, food, friendiness. Its warm with fantastic staff and very suitable for familes. The town has many historic sites and the people are very friendly. The scenery is absolutely stunning and tranquil. I came to complete my car driving test and car drivers are very courteous. There are fantastic places to eat, cycle routes and lovely scenery. I am definetely coming back and would recommemed this guest house to cyclist, holiday makers, those wanting to take a driving test and contractors. Its centrally located and the prices are exceeding reasonable. The beds are very comfortable as is the house with Sky TV. The food is excellent. The rooms are immaculate, spacious and a smoking area is available in the beautiful gardens. Wifi and computer access is available. Most of all, Hazel, Micheal and Lynn are fantastic people who made me feel very welcome and I have no reservations about recommending this guest house.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2010

The Black Lion Inn is a wonderful place to stay in Abergavenny, Wales. Mike and Hazel, the owners, are very warm and friendly. They made me feel right at home. I originally booked one night and decided, after the first night, to spend 3 more nights here. The room was clean, comfortable and warm. Hazel made me feel very welcome and showed me around the area, taking me to sites I wouldn't have been able to get to without a car. I would highly recommend The Black Lion Inn while you are in Abergavenny

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2009

absolutely wonderful Welsh welcome, food was brilliant and all homecooked, wonderful family running it and extremely friendly.

10 mins walk to town and right on the doorstep of the beautiful Brecon Beacons