“That Unique Mini-lounge”

Ranked #23 of 29 Abergavenny B&B and Inns
Swindon
“That Unique Mini-lounge”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

As Secretary and Editor of the ABERGAVENNY & DISTRICT STEAM SOCIETY i only wish I had come across this small BUT very friendly guest house earlier in my role of producing the society's monthly meeting programme when some of our speakers required overnight accommodation. On one occasion i dropped in unexpectedly to introduce myself and Hazel gave me a really warm welcome even though we had only conversed over the phone when I was booking a speaker's accommodation on behalf of the aforementioned society. I know exactly what the accommodation is like as my wife and I decided to sample that ALL our speakers spoke of highly when we really needed a break from our everyday busy life.. The dates we needed allowed us to have the choice of any of the five rooms. It was very obvious that the best room on offer was what we nicknamed the HONEYMOON SUITE.not because of the vast array of cushions BUT because of that unique mini-lounge which my wife and I have never found in the many guest houses and hotels that we have stayed in over the past 45 years - a very unique feature which has adequate facilities in itself.

So, if you decided to stay at the BLACK LION GUEST HOUSE, you'll have a great experience in more ways than one.

Room Tip: That unique mini-lounge in the 'Honeymoon suite!!'
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank KenSwindon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Düsseldorf
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I went for several days after a congress in Cambridge to Abergavenny, South Wales. Here we were welcomed very friendly and heartily although we were quite late in the evening. We enjoyed totally staying in wonderful rooms which were big, great, cosy and very clean.
Great are the owners Hazel and Mike who are very nice and supporting each idea and question in a very special way. By helping us we were able seeing wonderful other places we normally would have missed. They are supported by a great team, family and wonderful friends helping them in a very special and extraordinary way. Thank you so much for every favour given to us. Your breakfast was great and helped us keep going during the day in a marvelous way. If we were in a mood for special wishes we were helped promptly and nicely.
We are happy of having been your guests and friends during our stay. My husband was the first time in Wales and England and he was totally fond of this spot in Wales and of these special people we met there. Definetely this was not our last trip, as soon as possible we will come back for a visit.
We, Klaus and Petra are Germans, living actually in Düsseldorf, Germany and we loved it a lot being over there. We will be back quite soon and then again we will have a lot of fun again. Thank you so much for everything, you are wonderful Hazel and Mike.
Definetely this is a wonderful place which is worth going to.

Room Tip: All rooms are wonderful, especially great is the Suite they got there, because it is quite big and n...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My rather lukewarm rating of the Black Lion Guesthouse, Abergavenny, is due to the fact that with 4 stars, the presentation on their website and high room rates I had expected a better standard; what I got was nice but nothing out of the ordinary. During our 8 night stay there were too many glitches which should not happen in an upmarket guesthouse.

Travelling with a large party of walkers we were staying at different guesthouses/B&Bs in Abergavenny. The booking was originally made by telephone, followed up by an e-mail which was never acknowledged; so when I needed to alter my booking I did so by telephone more than 2 months prior to arrival, yet when I arrived at the Black Lion Guesthouse they still had me down for my original booking.

Our room - a twin en-suite - was perfectly all right. It was clean, of a decent size and suitably furnished but it had no window only a sky-light which my companion and I found difficult to open and close. The bathroom was large and very nice; good shower.

Breakfast was fine but nothing special e.g. we had tinned tomatoes rather than fresh ones even though it was August and very much the season for fresh tomatoes. Twice during our stay they were not ready to serve breakfast at the time they had indicated as start of the breakfast "hour"; on one occasion we even found the door to the breakfast room locked.

Other little things were an otherwise nice packed lunch but the ham had been forgotten in the ham salad sandwiches. Going out at 9:00 am and returning at 5:00 pm to find that the cleaners were still in the process of cleaning our room; the standard of cleaning was excellent but the planning of the work ....... the guesthouse only has five rooms. We were never really sure who was the proprietor and who were staff members; everyone was friendly enough but we never knew who we were dealing with.

Having visited Abergavenny about 10 times in the last 5 years I have stayed at many different guesthouses, hotels and B&Bs. The Black Lion Guesthouse is perfectly nice, people are friendly and rooms are clean and well furnished but it is nothing out of the ordinary. In my opinion the "extras" you would expect when paying a high rate are just not there; other guesthouses in Abergavenny offer similar standard and service at more competitive rates.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mr_and_mrs_C-J
Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband stayed here for just one night with our (adult ) son. This is his report: "We both found the room clean and comfortable with a spacious en-suite. What stood out, though, was the friendliness of the owners and their willingness to go well out of their way to help when we were stuck for transport. It seems, reading the other reviews, that this wonderful welcome is not unusual. Oh, and yes, a hearty breakfast for two big lads. Certainly to be recommended for the single traveller or family."

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Julie H
Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We stayed three nights in the twin/en suite in June 2012 and it was a fantastic experience! Mike and Hazel were warm, welcoming hosts who went above and beyond to ensure our visit to Abergavenny was top-notch. The inn's location is only a few minutes walk to the thriving historic downtown (shops, restaurants, castle). Our room was clean, the bathroom was three times larger than those we'd experienced at chain hotels in England, and the breakfasts were very filling. Mike served as a knowledgeable, humorous guide as he gave us an hour+ tour of the local countryside. He provided transportation to/from Big Pit and took us to the train station at 5:15 a.m. on the day of our departure. The final touch was when they provided us with very large sack lunches for our train journey to Paddington Station. A class act all the way. We can't say enough good things about the Black Lion and would highly recommend it to all. (Sue & Jessica, Wisconsin, USA)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Jessica W
Cardiff
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I only reserved a room at the Black Lion because I couldn't find anywhere else in Abergavenny that would let me check in at 1am and I'm so glad I did. Even at 1am, as soon as I parked my car outside the front entrance the owner was standing and waving cheerily at the front door, what a welcome! I had only made the reservation a few hours earlier. I was shown up to a lovely, clean, comfortable twin room with a spotless ensuite bathroom and had a great nights' sleep. Breakfast was all good - a selection of cereal, fruit, toast and a traditional cooked breakfast all included.

I was travelling alone for one night for business purposes so I didn't stay long enough to sample all the extra goodies on offer like the complimentary slippers and the high quality bubble bath/moisturisers in the bathroom, but I wish I had! I gather most guests are people wanting to have long country walks etc, and the thoughtful box of plasters placed next to the bath was a particularly nice touch.

I would definitely recommend the Black Lion, and if I ever need to stay in Abergavenny again I will definitely be back - and next time I will stay longer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Our family was treated royally at the Black Lion Guest House in Abergavenny, which is a terrific launching point for hiking holidays in Wales. Mike and Hazel were gracious and charming hosts and bent over backwards in every way whether it was making delicious to-order breakfasts, huge brown-bag lunches for our all-day hiking trips, or schlepping us to and from our daily hike destinations. The rooms were lovely and well-appointed: comfortable beds, quiet, clean and filled with books, pamphlets of area attractions, and bubble-bath soaps and salts for post-hike soaking! They also had lots of good ideas about nearby sites to see, and many stories about local history and geography. If you are looking for places to eat, there are many good places within walking distance (Angel Hotel or Bayleaf for a good curry) or places in the country just a couple of miles away.
We were there in early Spring just as the flowers were starting to bloom, but you'll be able to enjoy the hundreds of pots of flowers hanging everywhere for the summer months.
We'd heartily recommend a stay at this Inn!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abergavenny
The Angel
#3 of 29 in Abergavenny
Kings Arms
Kings Arms
#2 of 29 in Abergavenny

Been to Black Lion Guest House? Share your experiences!