“Weekend Break”

The Kings Head Hotel
Ranked #14 of 31 Abergavenny B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Found the staff very friendly and relaxed which immediately put me at ease. Service was very efficient and responsive. The twin room was cosy and the age of the building gave it character while having all the modern amenities I would expect. A small negatve was the need to use two remotes (in specified sequence) to operate the TV. Unfortunately I didn't read the instruction first. No big deal. Abgergavenny is a really nice, well preserved, market town and I wasn't there to watch TV. The full english breakfast was great and prepared to my specification. All the staff I came across were courteous and friendly. Would be very happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have seen some of the comments on here and cannot believe they are eating at the same place.
I regularly along with my wife eat at this establishment and can honestly say I have never received a poor meal.
Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones or it may be that the ones that are complaining are over fussy.
My last visit was October 19th, I had fish and chips and my wife recieved Steak and ale pie.
Both meals were cooked to perfection, as they always have been-the staff have always been polite and prompt with their service.
I would always recommend this restaurant to any visitor to Abergavenny.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chippers
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here from the 7th to the 13th Sep. First impressions on walking through the door: 1- Great location right next to the town centre, bus station and train station. 2: Friendly staff.

When I went to the room I found it very odd that the rooms we're all uneven! If you pushed the chair out from the dressing table it would fall over!

Good points from my vistit: location, owners are friendly enough, breakfast was nice and tasted fresh.

Bad points from my visit:
1: You are expected to reuse your towels, I was left a note telling me this on day 2. Which of course I refused to take any notice of. However when the maids came they then reduced my towels from 2 to 1. Then on the 2nd last night I came back to find the wet towel I had used in the morning and put in the shower had been folded up and put back on the rail. This is disgusting reusing towels causes bacterial infections on your skin, also because the towel is damp the bacteria from your skin grows on the towel!!! I complained no apology just given clean ones.
3: The bath mat towel was changed every 3 day's instead of daily.
4: My bed sheets had not been changed since I stayed they're. The reason I know this there was a stain on the quilt cover when I arrived and was still there when I left! I would not be surprised if the sheets weren't even changed for my visit.
5: Woken up at 5am or 6am every morning by banging, slamming of doors, sliding drawers or wardrobe sounds. Told the owner said he would have a word but still
continued.
6: Every evening you had a strong smell of cigarette smoke from people smoking outside.
7: The pillows had Brown yellow stains all over them.
8: Toilet roll was not replaced everyday or second day.
9: Carpets are disgusting they severely need cleaned or renewed!.
10: Since my stay you can see the bathroom has not been disinfected or cleaned.

I didn't expect the Ritz but for spending over £300 for 6 nights stay I did expect a clean bed, bathroom, fresh towels, a good sleep and utilitys stocked up.

I don't normally do reviews but I just felt extremely disappointed and didn't want someone to stay here without knowing the issues I had been faced with.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We had a birthday treat lunch here today and it was lovely. A good atmosphere, friendly efficient staff and really good food. I had home baked ham egg and chips and husband had the liver bacon and onions with mash. Very good value and a welcome stop while shopping. Highly recommend it to travellers

Reviewed August 7, 2013

My husband & I decided to eat in this pub as part of our day trip to Abergavenny.

I chose the homemade brie & broccoli pie with chip & peas. I also asked for a portion of sweet chilli sauce so I could dip my chips into it. The pie came steaming hot with a topping on puff pastry. Well the vegetable sauce was like nothing I've ever tasted before. It was absolutely amazing! I wish I lived nearer so that I can eat here more regularly, or the chef should move nearer to where I live!

A lovely young gentleman behind the bar was friendly & made interesting conversations with us. The pub was nice & quiet with no music blaring out, & no TV distraction. Just the perfect atmosphere what a couple need to relax on a Wednesday lunchtime.

1  Thank asdajohnlover
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We had lunch here today (7/8/2013) whilst visiting the town & castle. We found it to be nice & quiet with only a sprinkling of customers compared to the day before when we were informed the place was heaving as it was market day. My wife ordered the Brae & Brocolli Pie & I had the 12oz Gammon. We were not kept waiting too long for the meals to arrive at the table & subsequently enjoyed a hot, tastey meal. We found the bar-man very friendly & helpful, the facilities were nice & clean. I would not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone & would return there again for another meal.

2  Thank John S
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed here for a Friday and a Saturday night. They had Karaoke on both nights at the pub downstairs, and it was very loud. The rooms are double glazed but you can still hear the noise even from the top floor, it makes no difference. The owners did their best to reduce the noise in our room but it still carried through. They had the same songs on both nights!

Otherwise clean, and good service for breakfast, they can give you packed take-away sandwiches if you can't go for breakfast. They were very friendly and helpful with calling taxis and storing our luggage while we went for a hike.

If you want a quiet night, I'd strongly recommend to go elsewhere. Taxis are cheap to go to out of town accomodation, around £10 for going 5 km away where you can find quiet B&B's with good food options.

This inn is great for being in the centre, you have a selection of places to go for dinner (we went to the Angel), and the market, castle and museum are close by, walking distance. And we still took a taxi from the train station anyway.

Room Tip: any room is noisy on Fri and Sat. All rooms can be made very dark so you can sleep well.