“Excellent lunch”

The Walnut Tree Inn
Ranked #3 of 105 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: old pub conversion set in attractive Welsh countryside. Formerly a famous Italian restaurant but now the platform for chef Shaun Hill's style of cooking
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Four of us had a very fine lunch here, dining off a set menu that offered two choices for each of three courses. Among us we had all six dishes. All were very good and a couple were great. The wine list is short but well-chosen and reasonably priced. It's probably a good idea to book. We came without a reservation and lucked into a table, but it would be a mistake to count on it. The price was reasonable for an excellent lunch.

2  Thank Porcophile

Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

We celebrated two 30th wedding anniversaries with a lovely dinner and stayed at one of the cottages
The service was pleasant and helpful and in keeping with a place of this quality
Minor complaint that we needed to chase things we had ordered once - hence a 4 not a 5

We all had fish mains - superbly cooked and with real imagination

Good rather than great wine list

In the cottage the rooms were very pleasant with a steep spiral staircase
Nice bathroom

Very good provison of a DIY breakfast -smoked salmon good choice of cereals teas condiments and nespresso

I had not been here for about 30 years and I know it has been through changes in ownership. Current regime gets good marks based on our experience

1  Thank Chrisunlesley
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Was really looking forward to our visit. Had vouchers bought as a present last winter, and decided to wait for a summer evening. We were greeted warmly, but then seated at an awkward table, both looking at the backs of a large birthday party. I had to move the wine cooler myself in order to sit down. Asked if we could sit at a table for two where we could sit opposite each other but was told quite curtly by the waiter "No, they were reserved." Hadn't we? We had a job to hold a conversation and hear each other.
We both struggled with the menu - loads of ofal. What we did order was quite bland. If you ate with just your eyes you were fine, but if you want to introduce taste buds, disappointing. Was about to order extra veg and potatoes ( cabbage and dauphine potatoes) but was told veg and potatoes came with the meal.
We were then told we could move to a better table after our starters. The veg which came were brocolli and carrots, which are my least favourite, and a bowl of chips. Should have asked.
They gave us the bill in error -£127 (which included bar drinks which weren't part of the vouchers), and current vouchers cost £144. Are they making a little bit extra on the deal?
So disappointed. Have enjoyed far better meals elsewhere. Won't be going again.

4  Thank Claire B
Reviewed July 19, 2014

First time at Walnut Tree , very friendly lady welcomed us to restaurant on a sunny Friday afternoon. Restaurant was relatively busy and we booked just the day before. My wife and I had the set lunch which was very good with a slightly Spanish touch we thought.Wine selection good and usefully you may order wine by the half bottle or carafe , useful when driving. Just about got a parking space , I d recommend either an early or later sitting to ensure you have a space.

Reviewed July 18, 2014

We parked in the lower car park and walked through the garden which was lovely. It reminded me of Mr McGregor's garden of Beatrix Potter fame. I was however hopping that Peter wouldn't be on the menu as rabbit to me is a bland poor mans meat served as a cheap ingredient and a poor substitute for other more flavoursome meats and even vegetables! The restaurant I thought was basic - chairs were hard and uncomfortable, the tables basic and close together. There was no obvious buz or warmth. However, I loved the welcoming Thai fish cake served very quickly after we were seated. The menu was very disappointing to me no matter how long I looked at it! The emporers new clothes of food! I found it so hard to pick even a starter and if am sure if I was vegetarian I would have found it even harder. I was sat in the most beautiful part of Wales surrounded by the best lamb beef sea food and vegetables you could imagine and could not pick a dish off the menu that I could enthuse about! Peter was on the menu along with skirt of beef veal combined with offal of various origins. I explained my dilemma to the waitress, I said I did not eat offal veal and rabbit by choice. I asked about the skirt of beef dish as I thought this may be the only dish I could try on the main menu. I asked why such a cheap tough cut of beef was used instead of other more superior cuts of beef. I was almost shocked when she said they only used American beef and seemed to excuse this as if it was better! Why!!! Welsh beef is second to none in my opinion and grazing very close by! I was advised may be the now dismayed waitress that I could choose two starters instead. I eventually chose the summer salad starter and the ' lobster omelette Victoria'. The salad was just as it said on the tin - a basic salad covered in salad cream with the bonus of quail eggs over powered by spring onions...... Very under whelming and in my opinion not even close to micheeli star quality. My main of lobster omelette and 'custard' was bland and in my opinion lacking in seasoning. The lobster was however cooked well and my husband ate the dish after his measly main course as he was still hungry. My son in law ate with us and he enjoyed his lamb course but was equally disappointed with the meal as a whole. The sweet menu was not the best choice I have ever seen but I chose the lemon poset which was very good but nowhere near as good as the famous lemon crunch at The Hardwick! . I left the restaurant hungry and disappointed and £180 ponds poorer. We will not be coming here again and will revert to our previously favourite restaurant The Hardwick, where we always have a warm welcome by the lovely friendly staff, the atmosphere is pleasant and the food is exceptional. My son in law was still hungry and ate a pork pie after raiding the fridge when we returned home.

3  Thank cheaven