“PERFECT LUNCH.”

The Walnut Tree Inn
Ranked #3 of 104 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: old pub conversion set in attractive Welsh countryside. Formerly a famous Italian restaurant but now the platform for chef Shaun Hill's style of cooking
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Stopped writing reviews on Tripadvisor as they make millions on the goodwill of people for the odd 'Top reviewer badge'. However, feel compelled to write this review as there have been a couple of dodgy reviews for this restaurant. Our experience today, 28th June, was that the food and service were absolutely flawless. We both had the set lunch-amazing flavours.

5  Thank DAMIAN1071
Write a ReviewReviews (1,038)

Reviewed June 17, 2014

The bar door was left open during the whole of our visit. The draught penetrated the restaurant and there was no evidence of any heating system. Usually, I am the one who feels too hot in various places, so The Walnut Tree experience had to be really cold for me to comment on it. Even though it was a June evening after a fine day, it had gone chilly outside.
Perhaps my friend and I made a mistake or two in ordering, as we didn't have starters or sides (though the choice of the latter was very limited). My main course choice was Dover Sole with Janssen's Temptation and I hoped the sauce would add plenty of flavour, however I didn't come across any anchovies in it, as promised. My friend's Guinea Fowl would have benefitted from a piquant sauce.
We chose a bottle of Lan house wine Rioja, which was excellent and the desserts were very good. My friend really enjoyed his Panacotta and I very much appreciated the selection of cheeses. These were good value, we felt, at £8 and £7.50 respectively (as I didn't have a dessert wine with the cheese). The restauarant was stingy on biscuits though (to accompany the cheese).
The coffee, at £4.50 a cup was unremarkable in flavour.
People in the know in Abergavenny say that The Angel and The Hardwicke offer better meals at lower cost. Our evening meal for two was £100 at The Walnut Tree, not quite as expensive as we'd budgeted for but too expensive for the unimaginativeness/lack of flavour in the main courses.

4  Thank eloiseTenby
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I went again a couple of weeks ago, it is always a bit hit and miss the mise en bouche was a warm liver parfait in a choux bun which was very good, the bourride was absolutely perfect and a fantastic dish , the rest was good but not exceptional.

Nice service fairly full but not packed. around 160 BBP for three courses and a decent bottle of red, lovely view from outside.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

We have a holiday home in the area and eat out a lot locally. We are spoilt for choice with great restaurants and pubs in the area. But the Walnut Tree is genuine class! We hadn't been for a while, having been a bit disappointed a few years ago and, as I say, because there are so many other good places. But for my birthday meal last week it was fantastic. The food is Michelin Start quality and imagination. The service is friendly, expert and efficient. If I have a reservation it is that the decor and ambience don't quite live up to the food. But it's a small complaint. The local leader for too class, special food

1  Thank TravellinB0b
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Our meal at The Walnut Tree was exceptionally average and very disappointing for a Michelin-starred restaurant. I ordered a crab linguine for a starter which turned out to be extremely spicy to a point where you could not identify the crab. There was no mention of this on the menu as, not liking spicy foods, I would have avoided it. (I am always suspicious when spices are added to fish dishes as they not only mask the flavour, they are also great for masking the lack of freshness).

The main courses were okay, but certainly no better than the food in my local pub, and I would describe the puddings as looking and tasting like they had been bought from a supermarket.

What really surprised me was the fact that the meat was not locally sourced, in fact we told by a member of staff that the beef was imported from America. Bearing in mind The Walnut Tree is surrounded by some of the best meat in the world (Hereford Beef, Welsh Lamb and Gloucester Old Spot Pork) I'd be curious to know why they choose to buy their meat in from elsewhere.

One other thing that surprised me was the ladies' lavatory; to access it from the restaurant one has to go outside. On the night we were there it was blowing a gale and torrential rain and personally I don't think it is acceptable in a restaurant of that standard to have to get one's coat and umbrella and take on the elements in the middle of a meal just to visit the loo.