“Have been eating here for over 40 years!”

The Walnut Tree Inn
Ranked #3 of 105 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: old pub conversion set in attractive Welsh countryside. Formerly a famous Italian restaurant but now the platform for chef Shaun Hill's style of cooking
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Just in from a lovely evening meal. Feeling replete after 3 courses and coffee.We both enjoyed our sweetbreads .My main of turbot was delicious and my husband said his guinea fowl was beautifully cooked. The balance of flavours ,sauces and textures were just outstanding.Off to France soon and doubt any meal there will be as good.

1  Thank MrsPumps
Write a ReviewReviews (1,059)

Reviewed June 4, 2014

The Walnut tree is a Michelin star restaurant without any pomp or flashness. The building is quite modest looking, but friendly on entering the bar area. The staff are welcoming and the bar is a comfortable area to have a drink and read the menu. This is extensive and the choice quite broad, with meat and fish well presented. I chose a simple asparagus starter with a suckling pig based main. Well , it was amazing, every element of all dishes was thought out, presented well and little surprises on the plates, really very good. My wife had scallops and plaice, both of which looked great and she was pleased with them. Desserts were clever and had wonderful flavours and textures.
If you are in the area you should really try the Walnut tree.
The bill for two with a bottle of wine and pre dinner drinks was £146, which I thought was excellent value.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

What can I say about the Walnut Tree except that it was totally amazing. This beautiful restaurant is located a few miles from the wonderful little town of Abergavenny and is a must for anyone who likes not only an excellent dining experience but great value for money.
This fantastic little restaurant, which somewhat resembles a friendly, comfortable pub, rather than a Michelin star establishment, is a welcome change from the more formal and pretentious venues I have previously encountered. The menu provides an exciting and varied selection with enough wonderful combinations to have you struggling to make a choice and a lot of selection changing went on prior to settling on my order.
The restaurant is very understated, atmospheric and has an excellent front of house and faultless waiting service.
After much deliberation I opted for the lobster and suckling pig – the lobster with hand on heart, was the finest I had ever eaten in a restaurant, presented in a sauce that was sweet, creamy and extremely satisfying. The main dish, perfect portion size, of pork was tender and succulent, the morcilla fantastic. My buddy had the monkfish followed by the guinea fowl and enthused and praised both dishes highly, confirming them both delicious and outstanding. Congratulations to the chef and his team for perfection on the plate.
Desserts chosen were the panacotta and sorbet & melon selection which again were faultless and delicious all the more enjoyed by the reasonably priced and quality dessert wines.
The wine menu is not overly large and it was a delight to find that the sensible and reasonable pricing policy followed through and extended to the wine list as none of which appeared to have that “usual” over-inflated mark which seems to be the norm in so many other restaurants of this standard.
All in all the Walnut Tree rates a 10 from me and I am looking forward to a return visit (which I have already booked for mid June).
Whilst reviewing, and this is a first for me, I feel it necessary to mention that the day spent in Abergavenny was one of the most pleasant days out I have experienced in a long while. I would like to personally thank Julian and his wife (2 of the nicest taxi drivers I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and booked from the recommendation by the Walnut Tree on their website) for ferrying us to and from The Walnut Tree for the meal. Thank you both very much.
The whole day trip to Abergavenny was a wonderful experience and my thanks also go out to the traders that we encountered after lunch and whilst shopping on our way back from the town to the rail station. I found everyone who attended to our needs in the stores, in this small and beautiful little town, considerate, helpful, friendly and extremely welcoming. I cannot wait for my return visit. Thank you Abergavenny and the Walnut Tree.

1  Thank Cazz111_12
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Visited the restaurant last night and it lived up to expectations. As a long time vegetarian I've become accustomed to getting an OK meal in most places but this was delightful.

Started with the Buratta and spring vegetables. No cooking involved but the perfect combination of taste and textures. Could have kept it in my mouth all evening.

Main was the Jersey Royal and Comté gratin: potatoes in a cheese sauce like no other

Dessert was a surprise. Hungarian cherry soup with honey ice cream with a brioche. Beautifully refreshing

Couldn't resist the Roquefort with a glass of Amarone to finish.

Had a carafe of the Merlot: amazed myself by choosing a wine that went so well with the dishes I ate.

The coffee (and I'm a proud coffee snob) was so good I must find out what it was. Satisfying, robust and gulp-able!

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Had a lovely lunch, choosing to order from the a la carte menu although the set looked great - sharing some options with the main menu. Service was friendly and unobtrusive. Very cosy venue with a small bar area with an open fire. Warm welcome. Starters of burrata and spring vegetables and pigeon breast both wonderful. Main of John Dory was outstanding; just so delicious. Other main of guinea fowl also excellent. Desserts were very good too - roasted nectarines with basil ice cream and strawberry pannacotta with hibiscus jelly. Interestingly, despite some if the main course options quite steeply priced on the face of it (John Dory £26), we ultimately paid £111 for three courses a la carte with a carafe of wine and two bottles of sparkling water. We reckon the set menu might only have cost us around £20 less overall - so in our view it's worth considering paying that little extra for the choice available a la carte. We'll definitely be back.

1  Thank PinnacleDiner2016