“Quiet ...but why?”

The Walnut Tree Inn
Ranked #3 of 105 Restaurants in Abergavenny
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: old pub conversion set in attractive Welsh countryside. Formerly a famous Italian restaurant but now the platform for chef Shaun Hill's style of cooking
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

We booked the table well in advance; concerned we wouldn't get a table however there were only about 3 other people in the restaurant. The food was generally wonderful, except the rum baba which was dry & not as expected (very cake like). A little awkward to get to, but I would make the journey out to the beautiful countryside to visit!

There are newer reviews for The Walnut Tree Inn

Reviewed May 3, 2014

I was very lucky to be taken to the Walnut Tree for lunch the other day as a special Birthday treat. I had heard how good the restaurant is for years now so I was very happy when after a two hour drive from our house the magical mystery tour ended up there.
We started in the bar with champagne while we looked at the menus. There was a choice of two a set lunch of either 2 or 3 courses or the a la carte. My wife insisted because of the Birthday we order from the a la carte but both of us would have quite happily chosen from the set, we thought is was very well balanced and excellent value.
While we were choosing a little appetizer came which we both wolfed down. then we choose our food. I had the squab pigeon and the veal kidneys my wife had the veal sweetbreads followed by the John Dory. All the food we had was fantastic, really spot on. The service was genuinely friendly at a lovely pace never feeling hurried but never waiting around either. All the staff we met were smiling and helpful an easy thing you think but very hard to find. Also because my wife was driving (only happens on my Birthday) I could indulge with the fine wine list. When you first look at the wine list it doesn't seem much but then when you really look at it all the wines start popping out at you and the two I ordered did not disappoint . The wine service was as I like it unfussy we were asked did we want to try the wine but I didn't so the first glass was poured and after that I served myself. Some people might not like this but I do.
After the excellent bread the starters and the mains we had a little break before carrying on with an excellent very rich chocolate and orange cake (very rich totally not needed but hovered up) my wife had the cheese with a glass of champagne. All chesses come individually with a set drink which we both thought was a unique approach and the cheese that came was excellent. My wife did say that she would have liked the choice of a selection of cheese as she loves to try the different ones but this is something not offered but that doesn't stop me absolutely loving the place. I always enjoy my Birthday lunches we have racked up quite a few Michelin stars over the years and the Walnut Tree will be remembered as one of the best!!!!! THANK YOU

2  Thank Keithlouise158
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

We had an excellent meal here. The service was good, the place itself unpretentious and relaxed. Out starters and main courses were fantastic, as was the quality of the wine - good that they do it in half carafes too. The only slight let down were the desserts. They were lovely in principle (orange cake and a chocolate torte) and were well made, but they were both far too boozy which spoiled them a bit. Overall though a lovely meal, and probably better than anything else in this area.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

My wife and I were fortunate to return for a meal on Saturday night for the first time since Franco left.We first started going there when Franco started up in the Walnut Tree Inn and saw its steady rise in popularity. Now in different ownership we were hoping the service and food would measure up to levels we were accustomed to, we need not have worried we had an excellent meal and the service was impeccable. The place was full and the ambiance excellent with people chatting away and no background music. We hope to return soon.

1  Thank William J
Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

I had been looking for somewhere special to take my family for dinner and decided to try The Walnut Tree as it had a good reputation. I had been saving for this trip and was looking forward to an evening of relaxation.

Sadly, the atmosphere was a quite flat when we arrived and there was no music playing in the restaurant which made it quite awkward. I had specified on booking that I was vegetarian but was still given a lamb kofta as an appetiser.

We felt very rushed through ordering and despite fancying THE carrot side dish, we were told by the waitress 'all of your mains are complete, you won't be needing side orders.' - not quite the upselling you would expect. On the arrival of our main courses, I did feel like there was a need for a side dish and I wished I'd followed my instinct to order one.

The food was lovely and I know that each one of us thoroughly enjoyed it. However, we all agreed we felt rushed as the waitresses were hovering and hasty to take our plates away.

Dessert was lovely and topped off with some complimentary truffles and fudge. We did however make the mistake of ordering liqueur coffees which were painfully strong and a bit of a shock when we looked at the bill.

1  Thank Lapetitegalloise