“Great fish & chips. Not a restaurant though.”

Ainsworths Traditional Fish & Chips
Ranked #2 of 108 Restaurants in Caernarfon
Dining options: Late Night, Takeout
Description: Ainsworth's is a family run business and has been established for over 20 years. All of our food is cooked fresh to order so that you the customer can enjoy it a its very best. The fish we use, Cod, Haddock & Plaice all come from well managed and sustainable waters. Our fish is freshly prepared on the premises each and every day. Our Chips. Freshly prepared on the premises each and every day from high grade potatoes. We use a number of different varieties of potatoes throughout the year to help ensure quality and consistency, varieties include Maris Piper. Our Batter. Light, Crisp and dry. Our Mushy Peas, Homemade and Delicious. All the products we cook and serve here at Ainsworth's have been chosen for their high quality and consistency. The oil we use for cooking is 100% vegetable oil, which is filtered and cleaned on a daily basis, this practice helps us to ensure that you the customer receives the finest quality product. Our Staff, as passionate as we are about cooking and serving great food and ensuring you receive excellent customer service.
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I'll agree that the title of #1 of 80 restaurants is a little misleading - it's a takeaway fish & chip shop with a couple of chairs, but the I've never been disappointed with the food.
It's not the cheapest, but it is definitely one of the best chippys I've ever been in. Fish is particularly good, and portions are a sensible size.
Yes, you do have to wait - always! But the food is always fresh & cooked properly.
I've been dozens of times & usual wait time is about 15 mins. It's a small place, so for you to need to wait an hour, as some reviews have suggested, the queue would have to be well outside the door.
If that's the case, it tells you two things in my experience, especially in a fairly quiet place like Caernarfon; Firstly you're not going to be served quickly. Secondly it should be worth waiting.
That being the case, you can wait for some quality food & put up with the kids being inpatient, or pop to the kebab shop right across the road............ I always wait.

1  Thank Paul J
There are newer reviews for Ainsworths Traditional Fish & Chips

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Okay, it is a fish and chip shop and I wondered how it was number one in Caernarfon when you look at the competition but trust me when I say amazing! We ordered, and waited for the food to be cooked and we were blown away by the quality. Hot, perfectly cooked, just amazing, if this was a restaurant the chef would be getting recognition so the chap who cooked our haddock and chips should have equal recognition. Possibly the best food we ate all week - I thought I'd died and gone to heaven it was so nice. It is simple in my humble opinion - you cannot visit Caernarfon and not visit Ainsworth's. Fish and chips will possibly never be the same again...

2  Thank PKA03
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I and some friends had some fabulous food at this traditional chippy. I ate a veggie burger and it was so delicious that I ordered another! My friends really enjoyed their rather decent portions of fish and chips too. The owner was very welcoming and friendly.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is a great little fish and chip shop - well reviewed and justifiably so. Fresh, quality fish prepared and fried in front of you, decent portion sizes, and friendly staff. A good value takeaway that is highly recommended.

1  Thank Mark S
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Probably the best fish and chips I've had. Stopped in one day for lunch, and liked it so much I went back there the next. Am heading back to the area soon, and am looking forward to getting more.

1  Thank plausiblecod