“Hidden Gem”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Villa Marina Caernarfon is slightly hidden from sight but well worth finding. 4 of us recently enjoyed a lovely meal in pleasant surroundings. Each course was nicely prepared and I don’t think anyone had a bad word to say. Menu is not extensive but I would say there is something for everyone’s taste. They did run out of Italian wine which was a little amusing but we made do with the old trusted Rojas!

I will be eating here again.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was our second visit (after saying I would never go back there again) booked by some old friends who said we should give the place a second chance. BAD idea. Food was ok (I wonder which Italian restuarants those who say this is the best italian restaurant around have actually been too) There isn't much choice in italian restaurants in north wales but this definately isn't the best. I could manage an evening here with the food but it's the staff that totally ruin your evening. They are soooo miserable and rude, especially the girl who I guess is the head waitress/supervisor (or could even be owner). We spoke to two other tables of diners all said the same. I can stay at home to be ignored or insulted, I don't need to go out. If your not a people person don't work in a restaurant. I didn't dare ask for dessert or coffee, we left and had dessert in a pub down the road. Will not go back ever again.

3  Thank Women73
Reviewed December 13, 2012

we visited villa marina at the end of the summer with my wifes grandmother and our family. we arrived at about 5.50, and entered through the door. we were told 'it doesnt open till 6pm' and to come back then. it was raining pretty heavy outside, so we went to kofi rock for a coffee (which was fine). I felt quite unhappy about being sent back out in the rain, it wouldnt have hurt to let us sit at our table for 10 minutes, in from the rain. If the place was closed, lock the door!
So when we got in, we were greeted by the chef/owner who was polite. Then the waitress came over to take our orders (also the owner) and the look on her face seemed to reflect the weather.
We ordered 4 of the chicken liver pate and 1 soup. the grandmother loved the soup, said it was very tasty and just what she needed on a cold day. The pate was clearly home made, and tasted very good. presentation was rustic, but i liked that, it went well with the surroundings.
The main course i had was a spaghetti carbonara, which i couldnt complain about, but i would also not shout about...carbonara is carbonara, and it was fine. the gran had a seafood lasagne which she loved too, it looked pretty good and the portion was a good size too. The other 3 had a steak which was very good, and then the last 2 meals...pork steak pazziola (pork steak topped with pizza topping)...i must say...this didnt look pretty. they both enjoyed it, but it was wierd to say the least.
overall it was a nice meal, we were happy. we had tried a few restaurants in the area (including the supposed italian called WAL...about as italian as my swiss watch) which were poor both in food and in service. Im not saying id rush back here, but in caernarfon id certainly say this was one of the better ones.
BUT...a message for the lady owner...smile. your customers are supporting your business when there are a lot of other eateries to choose from, so be grateful and be happy. if you have to be miserable, do it after the door locks at night!

3  Thank Shirly T
Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

Had a lovely meal with 7 others stayed for hours ! Will all come again soon ! Always good food with smaller portions available

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Yet again another tasty meal. evrything my family ate from pizza to the steak was absolutely lovely. Good service and very reasonably priced for the quality of dishes and size of portions. Would deffinately recommend. Great with kids too.