“A visit to Segontium”

Segontium Roman Fort
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Our visit to the Roman ruins site was better than we thought due to the enthusiasm with which Tristan Jones explained where, how, and why the Romans were in Caernarfon. Dressing up in the medieval costume was a highlight for Deb. Make sure you go in and try the door, as we also thought the building looked closed. Awesome.

There are newer reviews for Segontium Roman Fort

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Caernarfon's Museums are disappearing fast, what a shame as it's Caernarfon is so rich in History and deserves at least one decent museum! Perhaps if the council spent less money on other silly projects (the crazy confusing paving on the square being one) then perhaps they could afford to run one decent museum in town :(

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We visited this place after seeing signposts in Caenarfon and on attraction leaflets. We checked online and it said it was open all day and it had a museum. Brilliant we thought.

What an absolute waste of time! The museum is closed with no explanation anywhere, looking through the window it appears to be a place where school kids come from school trips and have talks, not any kind of museum I've been to. There is nothing to see on the actual site aside from some foundations, which would be remarkable IF they provided any kind of information. There is no attempt to provide any information about the location. No information boards, no maps, nothing. I have no idea what I was looking at or what the buildings were. I've visited a Segontium and I have no idea what a Segontium is! I've seen countless Roman sites and thus have a small knowledge of the romans and this site did not add anything to my knowledge, or education, just frustration at wasting our time. We walked through a field and looked at some rock foundations. Great? I had more fun exploring the iron age sites on Anglesey!

Really disappointed, we're just glad we drove up to the site and didn't try following the town signposts from the square as it is on a large hill and quite a way from the square.

I would like to revisit this place with some information about the site, however as it currently stands I'd say avoid it.

1  Thank Michael B
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We were able to hook up on a Sunday that Rhys was giving one of his talks, he was able to bring a bit of the past alive for us with his talk. He took us around the fort and then out to other Roman sites on a walk down to the square. We had taken a bus into town & used a gps walking option to get us to the fort, it took us zigzagging thru the middle of the projects. On the walk down with Rhys we were pretty much on main road. Without the presentation if we came to the site on our own I doubt I would have gotten much out of it. Cost us 2 pounds to join the talk. Highly recommend visiting the website and going on a day with Rhys

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Rhyfedd meddwl bod y Rhufeiniaid yn byw yma cyn y castell gael ei adeiladu. Cymaint o hanes ynddo'i hun. Mae'n rhaid i chi ymweld â'r lle, gallwch dim ond wedyn dychmygu beth oedd yn teimlo i fod yn Rhufeinig ac yn byw mewn caer go iawn. Mae ganddo golygfeydd gwych o'r Afon Menai hefyd.
Hwn oedd y brif gaer Rufeinig yng ngogledd Rufeinig Cymru ac fe'i cynlluniwyd i ddal am filwyr traed cynorthwyol mil.
Y tu allan i'r gaer, mae olion anheddiad sifil wedi cael eu darganfod, ynghyd â teml Rufeinig Mithras, y Mithraeum Caernarfon a mynwent.
Segontium ymhlyg yn y enw'r dref o gwmpas, gan fod "caer" yn golygu gaer. Mae enw'r dref Caernarfon yw'r ffurf llygredig o "Caer in ar-Fon", sy'n golygu "Fort mewn (y tir) gyferbyn Môn".
Mae'n wych ar gyfer y plant hefyd. ewch yn fuan !!!!