“Not impressed”

Ranked #5 of 104 Restaurants in Caernarfon
Cuisines: International, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Black Boy Inn is a listed building which is situated in the historic town walls of the Royal Borough of Caernarfon. The Inn is within easy walking distance to the town centre, and the famous 13th-century Castle. An old Inn dating back to 1522 and with its wooden paneling, low ceilings, and thick wooden support beams generates a cosy 'Olde Worlde' Welsh atmosphere. The Black Boy is a very busy Inn; please do not expect it to be a slow laid back hotel. It is in the centre of the tourist hub of North Wales and long wait times can be norm in middle of summer. Come and visit us in the winter season for a more laid back feeling.We now also have Black Jacks, which is another renovated building in courtyard, at rear of Inn .Black Jacks is away from the hustle of the main Inn . All suites have small kitchen area.No lift in building.Some Ground floor rooms are easy access with walk in showers , 1st floor variety of rooms as is 2nd floor.we offer 24 hour staff attendance. When you stay in any country you must wish to stay in somewhere that reflects that country ,we certainly do majority of our staff are welsh speaking and so are the owners .Meal Times Sunday to Thursday: Noon until 9.00p.m. Friday and Saturday. Noon until 9.30p.m.Table reservations can be made via our web site only. We operate a table waiting system from the door at all times to keep the dining areas full. Waiting times can vary and an indication of any delay will be conveyed to you. Book a table online please.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Not impressed”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Sadly the restaurant was not as good as the premises it was in. The service was terrible, had a different person each time someone eventually came to my table and the food was very disappointing. Not sure if the bar comes under the restaurant but the staff there did not even know if they had a Welsh whisky!

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank ShellzD
blackboy673604, Owner at The Black Boy Inn, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
sorry you are not impressed with the staff , i will bring this matter in our staff meeting this week. we do employ temporary staff at Christmas. This may be the reason for the problems , but again i apologise for this as it normally would not happen . Especially as we have number welsh whiskies.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
“Steak & onion baguette....”
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

I often choose the black boy inn for a mid week lunch. I always have the steak & onion baguette with chips..... I'm always happy with what I get. Love the fact the chips are homemade!!!

Most of the staff are lovely too & there's a warm welcome to he had!

Diolch am yr review . Thank you for review it is nice to get local feedback
Dar es Salaam
“Stumbled upon a gem”
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Arrived as tourists in Caernarfon on a Friday night with my family. We walked out of the hotel and asked two locals on the street where to eat. They said the best food in town was at the Black Boy and gave us directions. When we arrived there was no room so we moved on. On our way out, some patrons left so we managed to get a table for six in the lounge. We had a fairly mixed sampling from the menu and wound up eating off of each others plates! Everything was amazing. I had the braised lamb shank and asked for the horseradish mash instead of the regular mash. The staff were very accommodating. The meat was tender, it fell off of the bone, but it wasn't dry. The gravy was a nice dark jus from real stock, unlike the canned stuff you get in many pubs. This was one of the best dining experiences I've had in a long time. The chef is clearly passionate about what he sends out to the dining room and the prices are not at all reflective of the quality. The place was packed and my seven and five year olds enjoyed it. They both had children's lasagna and devoured it. I had to taste it to see what could please the palates of my fussy little food critics and when I did, there was nothing 'children' about it. I would have happily ordered it for myself as a main. Do yourself a favour, if you're in town, give the Black Boy a try.

blackboy673604, Owner at The Black Boy Inn, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
What can i say but thank you for this lovely review .You say it all in your comments
Wales
“Lunch”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Chef very inflexible as would only serve chips with a meal (as on menu) & I asked for potatoes (which were also being served that day).

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Draigcoch21
blackboy673604, Owner at The Black Boy Inn, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
We are sorry you did not get the choice you wished from our menus . The choices will meals will be looked at again in new year and i will bring your review to the attention of kitchen. The kitchen will no have been part of the ordering sequence on your visit ,as all orders are transmitted from tills or tablet to large screens in kitchen.The choice is limited on the tills not the kitchen.A reason for this is due to the number of meals that can prepared in one day at the Inn.Our menu is very large as per items and adding to many choices as sides would lead is to reduce the main meal choice.But we do apologise for this instance at lunch , i am not sure of circumstances but will check tomorrow.
Earth, Texas
“Very good food, sea scallops amazing!!!”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I am visiting the Black Boy Inn reviews because we ate here yesterday and I'd like to compliment for the fantastic food. My sea scallops with coral (!) were excellent, the roast patatoes were perfect cooked and the red pepper sauce combined perfectly with the sweetness of the shells. I read a previous review of the same food and I can not agree with the other customer.
My friend's meal was delicious too.
Great food at the Black Boy Inn.
Jason.

• Visited December 2012
Thank you for your feedback .Food is a very emotive subject .Its like stating a med steak in our description to one person its rare to another overcooked .We always try and go for the majority view at the Inn , our staff will do all they can to please.Our chefs are well qualified , with many years of experience .The Inn is very busy as you may have noticed , but we obviously please the majority.