“Average food with average service”

Fu's Cantonese Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 107 Restaurants in Caernarfon
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I came here on Thursday and the restaurant was beautifully decorated with lovely Christmas trees, and the whole restaurant had a very modern and luxury feel to it. However I'm afraid the way you decorate a restaurant will not make up for the average food and bad service.

The first thing I noticed was that it was awfully loud! The kitchen was roaring with a horrible noise that could be heard from miles away, when trying to talk to my friends I found myself having to shout. Not pleasant. When waitresses came to take our drink order, neither one of us could hear each other, we were all shouting in each other's ears! This was the same with the waitress who took our food order, the couldn't hear us and we had to repeat ourselves several times, and we couldn't hear us until she was shouting down our ears once more. Her service was also not very good, she didn't smile once, looked very moody and seemed to want us to leave as soon as possible!

Many times we would see the staff chatting to eachother and acting silly, rather than serving the customers. Not very professional at all.

When our food arrived the starter was ok, but seemed to be very greasy, and my friend did not enjoy herr soup at all.

My main meal was however much better, it was very nice. Two of my other friends however had the curry and did not enjoy it. They said it was much too creamy and thick, I tried it and thought the same. It's not what I would class as a curry...

When we'd finished the staff didn't see, to notice for a while that we'd finished as they were chatting, having fun and messing about rather than serving us.

Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Very pricey for average food. Service not brill. Miserable staff at front of house. Huge amount of MSG in food it leaves an after taste. Wouldn't recommend.

1  Thank secret-luncher
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Fu's is a large modern restaurant next door to its captive audience of the Premier Inn and Travelodge hotels. It is very popular especially with groups and there is a nice buzz inside the restaurant. It's the sort of place you want to have a good time. Unfortunately our visit there got off to a bad start when the Guinness served was sour and undrinkable. This was however readily exchanged for a pint of bitter.

The food arrived after an average wait and looked fine apart from the egg fried rice which had a strange grey colour. The menu is very limited if you want to eat any seafood dishes apart from king prawns. I started with the Seafood hot and sour soup which was bland, sweet and glutinous and which was rather like eating a tub of sweet chilli sauce from McDonalds that had been microwaved. I then had the Mixed Seafood with Szechuan sauce which should really have been described as Onion with a thicker version of the same sweet chilli sauce and some token pieces of seafood. My companions were similarly disatisfied with their choices.

Overall I have to say that this was the worst so-called Chinese food I have ever experienced in a restaurant. The following evening we had dinner at the Jasmine restaurant in Bangor which was filled with Chinese students and where in contrast the food was excellent with good service, I know which restaurant I want to go back to.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

We were staying in Caernarfon for a few days and enjoyed the meal so much on the first visit that we went back for a second meal before we left. Highly recommend the crispy duck and the char Sui pork in hoi sin and garlic -yum!

2  Thank Beverley P
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I live locally and each and every time we go here the food has been excellent, the restaurant is well presented and well located and theres always a great atmosphere. A lot of our friends visit regularly and we always have a fantastic evening. Our fav dish is the sizzling cantonese beef. Oh and the banquet is filling and tasty. The service is fab and always helpful. yes one of my top eating houses.

3  Thank Sue M