“Very worthwhile and interesting”

Inigo Jones Slate Works
Ranked #1 of 5 Shopping in Caernarfon
More attraction details
Owner description: Inigo Jones Slate Works produces a wide range of products from 500 million year old natural Welsh slate. These products are available at our Showroom, located in Groeslon, North Wales. As well as our Showroom, there is also a popular Workshop audio-tour for all the family to enjoy geological, historical, calligraphy and letter cutting exhibitions, and children can also compete in our quiz to win a slate prize. There is also a Welsh Rock Cafe which offers snacks and drinks to our customers. Come and have a look!
Conwy, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Very worthwhile and interesting”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We got lost trying to find the slate works but once there found it a really insightful experience.
As slate was a major part of the culture of the area in the last century, the attraction for me was finding out about the history and how it evolved.
Staff were very friendly and helpful and we were able to try out a few words of welsh which was most amusing.
Overall, a very enjoyable afternoon and good tea shop. I bought a wine rack as a present for my partner.
Very enjoyable experience .

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Peter L

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A welcome retreat”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Our family including 2 lively young boys spent a memorable couple of hours touring the slate factory this weekend. An informal fascinating insight including engraving our own slate. All for £15. We loved it a great attraction highly recommended.

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Surprisingly excellent opportunity to visit a working slate works. Excellent audio tour, with great opportunity to carve some slate. Good kids quiz with prize, excellent craft shop and friendly staff. Would have been nice to see a few more workers in action.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Probably Wales' Best Kept Secret”
Reviewed January 19, 2011

I visited Inigo Jones in November 2010 and wow what a fantastic worthwhile visit it was. I picked up a leaflet at a local Tourist Office and decided to visit the Slate Works.

I went on the Great Slate Tour which took approx. 1 hour to complete and then I took a look around the showroom. The tour first of all was a great experience and very educational. Then, secondly the showroom was one of the best places to buy gifts I have ever visited. There is a vast array of crafts and books to buy with a welsh and celtic theme.

The slate crafts made by Inigo Jones I must say are beautiful and brilliantly crafted out of 500 million years old slate. i would advise anyone to make a visit as I can guarantee you will not be disappointed. One final note, the Slate Works is celebrating their 150th birthday in 2011 and that is something worth jotting down in your diary.

Visited November 2010