“Great stay at my first Welsh B&B”

Cartref Guest House
Ranked #4 of 21 Caernarfon B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 28, 2012

My first stay at a Welsh B&B was wonderful. I was visiting friends in England and we decided to take a trip to Wales to hike Snowdon. We stayed at the Cartref B&B for two nights. The rooms were comfortable, clean, and nicely appointed with tea service, wireless, bottled water, satellite TV, and slippers. Yes, slippers. How civilized! I loved the curved glass doors on the shower in the bathroom. The breakfast both mornings was made to order and fantastic. The owners were a joy. It was a pleasure getting to know Mary. The whole point of staying at a B&B is to get that sense of home away from home and Mary definitely made me feel right at home.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

I was travelling alone on business
I stayed two nights and I found the whole experience everything a good B&B should be - a warm welcome everything you need in the room and a great breakfast
the following night I satayed in a soul less hotel and wished I was back at Cartref
Mel

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I spent three nights this small, friendly, clean guest house. It is very close to the interesting centre of town and reasonably priced.

Reviewed April 4, 2012

Cartref is a small Welsh Town house two minutes walk from the Castle. It is clean, comfortable and welcoming; Mary is an attentive hostess and serves a great breakfast with plenty of choice. It "does what it says on the tin" - I stayed there only one night - as I had to move on - and was very reluctant to leave!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Cartref, a beautiful and very comfortable b and b located within the Caernafon City walls, made an excellent base for visiting Caernafon and going on the Welsh Highland railway from Caernafon to Portmadog and return. As with many Welsh houses, it is wise to have minimal luggage, but there is every necessary comfort provided for a refreshing stay in this wonderfully historic city. Our hostess was kind and considerate and had a wealth of local knowledge. Thank you for a thoroughly enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We stayed at the Cartref for 2 nights on 24th March with friends. We booked 2 rooms, 1 en-suite and 1 with use of the bathroom across the hall. Both were lovely rooms, nicely decorated, very clean and comfortable. We had the room without en-suite facilities and whilst I normally prefer to have facilities en-suite, did not find this a problem as the bathroom was just across the hall and was only shared with a single room. Our room, the Rose Room was quite small but suited us just for a weekend, I'm not sure if I could stay in it for a week !
The breakfast was top rate, an excellent selection, nicely cooked and served on hot plates. If what you wanted wasn't on the menu, all you had to do was ask - as my friend did for her beans on toast !. We had a lovely, relaxed weekend and were made to feel welcome. The property is in a excellent position, inside the city walls, just around the corner from the castle and whilst it doesn't have its own parking facilities, the free parking on the harbour is ideal and only a 2 minute walk from the door.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

I stayed 3 nights in March 2012. I wholeheartedly recommend the guesthouse - it is ideally placed in a quite location in the old walled town of Caernarfon, it is comfortable and spotlessly clean and tastefully presented, and the owners are welcoming and very kind. Breakfast is remarkably good - beautifully served and an excellent menu - I believe that for a guesthouse in this price range this is the best breakfast I've had. Thanks very much! - Tony

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo