“Good location, but probably wouldn't stay again. Avoid Table Table”

Premier Inn Caernarfon Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Caernarfon
Reviewed July 9, 2013

For the first time in 8 years, I decided to stay at a Premier Inn. I chose this one for its location, which I cannot fault. Its a few minutes’ walk into town and the castle, and the walk is pleasant.
Firstly, I have to say that the staff were all really nice and helpful, if somewhat overworked. Check in was basic – I was offered the sleep guarantee. As I never sleep well on a first night away from home, I would not be abusing this policy. I was not informed of where breakfast / dinner was available, but I had seen the ‘restaurant’ on arrival and know from previous reviews that that is where the food options were. I had arrived late in the evening (about 7pm) and needed to do some preparation for a work meeting the next day, so I was grateful there was somewhere close to eat.
On check in, I asked for an iron , and was told one would be delivered to the room. I waited an hour before I left for dinner, and reminded the young man in reception, He did apologise for forgetting, and the iron was there when I returned from dinner.
Dinner at Table Table was abysmal. I wasted at the “wait here to be seated” sign for 15 minutes, while four members of staff (who had seen me) continued to ignore me. Eventually (and because I was tired and hungry and did not want to find somewhere else to eat at that time) I asked a passing waitress if anyone was available to seat customers. She then (without apology) sat me a tale in the corridor between the kitchen and other tables. Food was overcooked, and the dessert arrived at the same time as the main meal, which was then left in the fridge to melt / cool. Inedible, overpriced and disgusting food. Breakfast (thankfully I only opted for the continental) was plentiful on the first morning (8am) but there wasn’t much left beyond bread and cereal on the second (9am). On the second night, I walked across the road to Morrisons and picked up a few bits for a cold dinner which I ate in the room. There is no available information (and reception always seemed to be busy with LOTS of people) about nearby take away choices.
The room was adequate. The water pressure for the bath / shower was almost non-existent. Despite turning up the pressure to the highest, it made no difference. The rooms were clean enough, and basic, and the bed was comfortable, but there is no phone in the room so you can’t call down to reception to ask them anything. The room overlooked a flat roof and then windows to other rooms, so no real view to speak of. Also, they only opened about an inch – so no chance for fresh air to circulate.
I was told I would receive an invoice by email (part of their green initiative) and it’s been a week and I’m still waiting. I’ve called them twice. I asked for a late checkout, and was granted half an hour extension. I wasn’t too impressed at that, as I had to wait until the morning of checking out before they could agree anything (I had requested it the previous afternoon).
Also, the Wi-Fi is only free for 30 minutes. I was not told about the “pay for” options, and I didn’t need to use it until the 2nd day, which is when I found out that their server was down, and there was no back-up server to connect to.
All in all, I wouldn’t stay here again. Primarily for the lack of a decent breakfast / dinner / the lack of a room phone, the bad water pressure and bad Wi-Fi.

Room Tip: choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank nikypLondon
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Caernarfon Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you for your review. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed provide this. Please be assured that your comments will be duly followed up by the Management Team at this hotel. We hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We like Premier Inns. You know you will always get a comfortable bed at a good value price. The one in Caernarfon was probably the most we have paid for a P I, but it was well worth it. The position is superb in the Victoria Dock area with a step outside onto the marina and a short walk to the town centre and castle. Everything looks very new and welcoming. The associated restaurant is a Table Table. After our dreadful experience at the one near Didcot we opted out of the evening meal. However, judging by our breakfast experience that was probably a mistake. This Table Table was in an altogether different class. The breakfast service was superb, as was the food. We were made very welcome and looked after really well. Full marks!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Slightly disappointed with a Premier inn for the first time. Room smelt of damp even though clean. Check inn a nightmare, over charged for breakfasts, and bookings for restaurant not done. The restaurant next door was excellent. Ate there for breakfast and dinner. The staff there also excellent. Overall disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights on our first visit to North Wales. The weather wasn't good but our accommodation was excellent and the staff very helpful and friendly. The TV was the largest we have had in a hotel room. Our room didn't overlook the harbour, instead it looked out over the road but we found it quiet. It was only a short stroll to the castle and the town. We found a very good pub The Black Boy Inn just near the castle. It wasn't far to Snowdonia, Porthmadog and Portmeirion. Breakfast was in the restaurant Table Table next door.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here last weekend on our first visit ever to North Wales. The weather was awful as it has been most of.the Summer but our accommodation was excellent and the staff very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank dennishorn
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Loading noise might wake you as it's in the middle of a shopping and restaurant area. Modern equipment - a TV set that allows you to connect all sorts of portable devices. I think we counted more than 10 power sockets - they have clearly catered for the modern traveller.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marmar_d
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Premiere Inns dont do surprises, which is nice when it means consistently high and reliable quality.

Very clean and spacious bedroom, completely clean bathroom (no black mold round the edges, which always annoys me), and an all you can eat breakfast at the Table Table restaurant next door.

Location is spot on for wandering into town to see the castle (well worth a visit, but leave 2 hours to it justice) and for various restaurants.

Only two slight gripes - no car park, you use the free one 100 yards away (but you can park outside briefly to drop off/load up) and the wifi is only free for 30 minutes, surely in this day and age it should just be free all the time?

Room Tip: Ground floor can be slightly noisy with people towing their bags across bumpy pebble floor outside w...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caernarfon
Black Boy Inn
#1 of 1 in Llanddeiniolen
Menai Bank Hotel
Menai Bank Hotel
#7 of 8 in Caernarfon

Been to Premier Inn Caernarfon Hotel? Share your experiences!