“Budget. Ok for one night.”

The Menai Hotel and Bar
Ranked #17 of 24 Bangor B&B and Inns
london
“Budget. Ok for one night.”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

The room was a good size and the bathroom was nice. The mattress was pretty comfortable however the sheets and blankets were a bit thin and scratchy nylon-y fabrics.
It is a budget hotel though - generally I was pretty impressed until we had breakfast!

Breakfast gets laid out at 3 in the morning, before the staff leave - there are no staff at the hotel in the morning, you check out by posting your keys through a whole.
The breakfast is really poor, instant coffee, only whole milk - no choice, cheap and really sweet yogurts, sliced bread and the cheese they put out is that nasty rubber burger cheese! It was horrible!

Because there are no staff in the hotel in the mornings people just leave their mess all over the breakfast room and no one is there to clear it up so plates are piled up on tables and everything is left out in the open. It is really unacceptable.

I've never known a hotel where there aren't any staff in the morning! Don't know hat you would do if there was a problem.

If you do stay - go out for breakfast!

Room Tip: don't have breakfast!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LondonMissy_c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2011

The staff were lovely and friendly. However when we got to our room it was dusty and rather warm and we could not open the window as it has a chain on it. So for out first night it was rather cold even though we had a few extra blankets a duvet would have been nice and the beds are not overly comfortable. On our second night it was too hot and once again we could not open the window. The food their is good, and their is a lot of variety and is also cheap. however at night it does get noisy there were a lot of doors banging up till 2am. Breakfast was good, but their could have been more.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Wales191
Far corner of Wales
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Family came to visit so I stayed here with my parents and my cousin, her husband and their little one stayed at mine.

Good value for money hotel with really nice staff (hard to find these days!) that I'm going to send all my friends to when they come to visit - though I'm tempted to give them my little flat and me stay here instead!

Staff were friendly and welcoming, with the more personal touch that I prefer from a hotel. It felt like I'd known them for ages and was a local to the place. I couldn't get the TV remote to work but it wasn't a problem for the staff, George, he was really helpful and attentive but within minutes I realised it was me that was doing it wrong!
Room
Had a triple room with my parents which was spacious and more than fine for the 3 of us (except for my dads snoring...) Bathroom was nice with a good shower - always important to me. Had a good view towards Anglesey too.
Food/Breakfast
We had dinner in the pub which is part of the hotel. It was good pub food, we had the specials which are good value.
Breakfast was also good, it's in a room with a gorgeous view of the Menai Straits and Anglesey. It's a self-service continental which is the same as I've had in most hotels in Europe - yoghurts, toast, crossaints, cereals etc.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bint86
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 15, 2011

arrived at the menai to a very welcoming staff room was clean and cozy kettle tea coffee and buiscuit and fridge to store own drinks in the room the views from my room were beautiful breakfast had lots to chose from down to cereal fruit toast or full english thought the food in the cafe/bar was great value and very tasty staff were friendly and very helpful nice clean large modern bar beer garden cozy and tables to eat outside if wanted was very happy with everything good value for a double room and would def come back here again

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank jane1935
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2011

The worst nights sleep I have n-ever had!! The bed was a divan with storage drawers that had long since been removed so the bed sagged alarmingly on one side and was so uncomfortable!!!
This the oddest place with a huge bar geared up for youngsters and the rooms added on as an after thought.
The barman who let us in was friendly enough but the chap who was there in the morning didn't even acknowledge us never mind being friendly.
The breakfast was very basic and had been set out the night before so the croissants and bread were not that fresh - a cooked breakfast would have been extra but there was no sign of it being offered at all!

The only plus side was the bathroom was fairly clean and the shower worked quite well. To check out you put your key into a slot and let yourself out which was OK until I realised that I had forgotten something and spent 15 minutes trying to get someone to come to the door to let me back in. Give this place a wide berth!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank fofoma

Travelers are raving about these Bangor hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Where are the owners? The object of this "Hotel" is purely a cash cow and no thought of the comfort of the customer. Although the over worked bar staff were friendly and helpful, eventually, this place could never be described as a serious hotel. It is a cheap and very loud student pub with lousy beer and cheap food with a couple of rooms on top. The pub is open until 1:00am but the noise from the revellers didn"t finish until 4:00am. As for breakfast. No no one in attendance. Self service. Luckily no rubber coissants but only half an old loaf to make some toast and some packets of cereal. It was a joke beyond a joke. Come here again? Never. I would rather drive the 5 hours home.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HuizeCathy
Salford, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2010

some of the other reviews were less than complimentary but when we arrived found the hotel to be very welcoming. after being booked in we were shown to our room and found it to be huge with a k/s bed!! the furniture was pine with terracotta coloured curtains and bedspread - a bit 80s - but the ensuite was immaculate!!! we had a small beer fridge in the room which would have been useful if we wanted to drink in our room. the view was good and found the breakfast to be exc value for money. it was self service with cereal, juice, toast, yoghurt and fresh fruit. no fuss but still enjoyed it. the area had some good bars with a great atmosphere, local greek restaurant was lovely with an outside area - quite authentic considering we were in North Wales!!! anyway it was a lovely place and if I was visiting this area again would have no hesitation on staying here!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bevlydiate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangor
Eryl Mor Hotel
#1 of 5 in Menai Bridge
Gazelle Hotel
Gazelle Hotel
#3 of 5 in Menai Bridge

Been to The Menai Hotel and Bar? Share your experiences!