“Brothers Bangor Trip.”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bangor
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Brothers Bangor Trip.”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights with my brother.Great location with stunning views over the Manaii Straits.Staff very friendly,Breakfast was great,no buffet breakfast here,good old fashioned table service!Walked up the pier every morning.Tea room sells great smelling Scones!

Room Tip: Rm 24 and 25 seafacing rm is quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Munich, Germany
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I went to the Eryl Mor Hotel with trepidation after having read some of the reviews and was pleasantly surprised. My room #10 on the first floor of the main building was recently redecorated and had a sea view. The bathroom was spacious with a walk-in shower and very clean. The only drawback may be seen in that the house has only a narrow staircase and no lift. The staff was very helpful with my luggage, however. In the ground floor bar area there is gratis WLAN connection with the internet.
The restaurant is in the wintergarden with a large choice of dishes. The wine list is adequate. Beers are on tap.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Genussmensch
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

After reading reviews on this hotel before i was not expecting great things, but my room was newly decorated and was very nice. The bathroom still needed updating but was mainly clean with a little mold. You do get mixed service from the staff but this is really one of those places that you get what you pay for. For food and drink i would defiantly recommend taking a walk about 200 yards down the road to the Boatyard pub.
Overall a basic hotel with fantastic views and mixed staff service but is well positioned and cheap!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank GarethB526
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed here for a night on business. Setting is great and views from room are lovely. Room smelled horribly of damp - owners obviously knew ad there was an airfreshener on the wall. Peeling wallpaper, nylon duvet cover and noisy neighbours. Real pity as could be great.
Very average breakfast and staff disinterested. Ate at the Boatyard pub around the corner - good value food and nice beer.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Martin B

Travelers are raving about these Bangor hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Welcoming, helpful staff throughout our stay.

I had just about managed the first 13 steps (I think), then the receptionist offered to carry my case to the top floor of the annexe (the next 57 steps).
Good practice before climbing mountains!

Our room had just been completely done up, i.e. everything was new, from powerful shower to wall paper, carpet, etc.

We had fantastic breakfasts (great choice and waitress service) with the sun rising over the Menai Straight.

Let's hope one day the stair carpet will be replaced, but frankly, I'd rather have a nice room.

We also ate in the conservatory-restaurant and everything was good, with fresh veg, and nice boiled pots and chips.

If you can't park in front of the hotel, it only costs £1 down the road for up to 24 hours.

Room Tip: Try to book in advance to be on a lower floor and have a view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dorset
Reviewed July 11, 2012

My wife had previously stayed at his hotel and did warn me not to expect too much. Now, that was an understatement

The location of this hotel is superb, the views across the Menai straight, fantastic.

Once I managed to haul myself up the steep vertical steps, I found our room.
The rooms are spacious, again with superb views but haven't been redecorated since the 1980's. Our room smelt of mould / fags / sewerage and was masked by some strong air freshner which soon wore off. The shower had mould all around the base. The wifi is up and down like a pair of Jordans niknaks and I was running round the room with my iPad above my head like a man possessed. I gave up and had to engage in conversation with my wife instead, which was nice.

The restaurant
Well. We weren't hungry so decided to order a couple of starters and a bowl of chips to keep us going. My wife's ordered king prawns in garlic butter and I ordered mushrooms in garlic and herb butter. Well, my mushrooms arrived and I thought they were just slightly overdone. I then proceeded to try one and it was like chewing on a fag end. They had obviously been cooked previously ( like a few days earlier) and then microwaved again for me! When I complained, the waitress took them back to the kitchen and then informed me that the reason for the strange texture is because they are wild and asked if I would like anything else because they are all like that!
I declined and ate a couple of the chips instead
I have never, not been able to eat a meal before, but those mushrooms were something else. How on earth can you not slice a few mushrooms and fry them in a pan?
The staff were all very nice and tried their best. The one waitress dances to you when she serves you, which made me chuckle
Anyway, I am now off mushrooms for the foreseeable future
Oh yeah, and the prices they charge for their "food" is extortionate. My "mushrooms" were £5.25

Saying that, the breakfast was surprisingly edible

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank C E
Gt Missenden
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Thankfully we were only staying one night on part of Three Peaks Challenge and literally just to sleep as we ate out after seeing the review of the hotel food on Tripadvisor. My room was in a separate building which smelt really musty as soon as you walked into the vestibule with big cobwebs everywhere. My room was very dated and cold, the shower was very old and the tray had a few hairs in it, yeuch! When you put on the light the ventilator comes on and when you catch site of it you want to turn the light off, it is thick with dust; other people's dead skin and hair, double yeuch! It was a chilly night and no heating on, ok it was summer but we hadn't had a summer as yet. The bed was very old and you kind of sunk into the springs. Breakfast the next morning was okay and they happily made sandwiches for a friend for his picnic lunch up Snowdon.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Neese66
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bangor
Travelodge Bangor Wales
The Anglesey Arms
The Anglesey Arms
#4 of 5 in Menai Bridge
Ashbrook, Bangor Boutique Bed and Breakfast

Been to Eryl Mor Hotel? Share your experiences!